• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why there won't be any pokemon after Arceus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just hope they cut down on the legendaries next generation. Given DP had around 14 legends, I worry there is going to be something like 20+ legendaries next generation.

Man will that suck.

I'm copying this to the Video Games forum because the topic covers both the TV series and the video games.

And in addition to what Zeta said,

T_Kiss said:
On the other hand, the success of gen 5 hinges on whether they can think of another good quest other than gyms and contests.

Except...it doesn't. Generation V could follow the exact same forumla that the other games have been following since day one and it would still sell a gajillion copies. Yes, it sucks, but that's just the way things are.

In the games, I start to get bored challenging gyms and the league, and after I defeat the Elite Four and the Battle Zone

That's fine and dandy for you. But you don't make up the entirety of the Pokemon franchise. There are plenty of people out there who will buy the games regardless. And there are plenty of people for who Generation V will be their first Pokemon games ever.

In the anime, again, if gen 5 is Ash, Brock, and a gen 5 girl doing contest I won't be watching any more. A new quest is essential for Pokemon to go on.

Essential for you. A lot of the people in the fandom don't see it that way. The huge number of kids who tune in every Saturday morning probably wouldn't mind if Generation V was just Generation IV with a few shiny new things to distract them.

Whether there will be a better gameboy series is also a factor whether there will be gen 5.

The only reason we wouldn't get a new handheld would be if the DS sold horribly. But it's done quite the opposite, so the question isn't so much an "if" but a "when."

And there's no rule saying that they *can't* put Generation V on the DS.

I think there might be gen 5, but I agree that they are in trouble after the appearance of Arceus. In this gen they already have the ruler of time, space, and dimensions. What other legendaries can they think of? How can they complete the story concerning the God-like Pokemon Arceus that can be put into a Pokeball? These are big problems for them.

But it's not entirley Game Freak who this pertains to. Tajiri and Sugimori dream up the Pokeys, and don't worry, the beutiful-mind genius-guys have everything planned out.

The legends in a new game will be dependent on the region's mythology. Gen V region might not believe in Arceus and have it's own 'God' and therefore new legendaries.

Reply to all the threads:

Wow I'm surprised that so many people in America (I assume America because the thread says "Saturday morning") love watching Pokemon, because I'm not American. If you go to Pokeani and read the anime page, you can see that the Pokemon show is constantly decreasing in view rate, from more than 15% at its start, to only around 5% in this gen. And here, Hong Kong, I can tell you that almost nobody talks about Pokemon any more. There is almost no product, not even key rings or stationery, about Pikachu (I just looked around a galleria yesterday), let alone the games. And I had quitted watching it too a few years ago; I come back just because I want to study more Japanese and practice more translations. My Japanese cousin, who was once a big fan of this show, told me that he has quitted it since gen 3 because it's too boring. That's why I'm so surprised that so many people in foreign countries are interested. This is what I don't know. I'll go to Japan in a few days (so next week's episode guide might be late), and I'll see if Pokemon is still very popular over there. For America and other countries, if anyone can tell me how popular it is now please do so.
[FYI: When I went to America a few years ago as a student (it was gen 3), my fellow students in America told me they never watched Pokemon any more because "there are so many random species that we can't even remember". I thought Pokemon was over in America.]

And about how to make gen 5 make sense, well, I'm sorry for being too logical; maybe it shows that I'm not a kid any more. Yes it's already not too logical for me to have so many fire-type "rulers" and sea guardians (I mean, how can the statements "Kyogre can control water" and "Lugia is the guardian of the sea" be not contradictive?). But, yeah, if Pokemon is not meant to be too logical then gen 5 is fine.

New ideas. Well, since they always had new ideas from gen to gen, I cannot evaluate the result of making gen 5 just like 4. But at least this is bound to lose some old customers. New kids is fine, but without the support of the old ones, the result is less predictable. Maybe some experience from other industries can help the evaluation. But one thing is true: a new quest and an improved technology is bound to be much more appealling, at least to the old guys.

The producers can dream up everything. I agree. Japan is a very inventive country, so I really expect something to come. But I'm worrying because I can't think of anything else. That's why I consider working in Japan in the future and learn about their imagination. They really can do business.

More comments are welcome because I'd like to know views from the other side of the globe.

Last edited:
you can see that the Pokemon show is constantly decreasing in view rate, from more than 15% at its start, to only around 5% in this gen ... [FYI: When I went to America a few years ago as a student (it was gen 3), my fellow students in America told me they never watched Pokemon any more because "there are so many random species that we can't even remember". I thought Pokemon was over in America.]
Of course you're going to be disappointed if you compare Pokémon's popularity to the days when it was a huge fad. But the series is still very popular, even increasing somewhat since Gen III. The games sell tons, the anime is constantly in the top ten animated TV ranking in Japan, the movies do hugely well (not quite on Harry Potter or Studio Ghibli levels but still very big.) Nintendo are still on the money train.

I mean, how can the statements "Kyogre can control water" and "Lugia is the guardian of the sea" be not contradictive?
Uh... how so? Most Water Pokémon can control water. Kyogre is said to have expanded the seas but you don't have to be the guardian of the seas to do that. Same thing goes for Celebi and Dialga: One travels through time, one controls it. Nintendo's options aren't as limited as you'd think.

As for Arceus, its territory is strictly limited to Sinnoh. The new games can come up with something different for the new region.

Last edited:
Yeah, but I can see their point. There's really nowhere the anime version of Gen 5 can go.

Paul is going to be a hard rival to top next gen, and nobody is going to care about yet another girl doing Contests, if the loss of interest in Dawn's contest arc is any indication.

I also feel sorry for Ash's older Pokemon, we got attached to them and they make very few appearances nowadays.

You also have to take in consideration of the other regions. So what if Arceus is a God Pokemon? It's only a "God" Pokemon in the Sinnoh Region and so forth. Who is to say that 5th Region doesn't have it's own God Pokemon and Arceus is just another Pokemon.

I mean look in real life, there is not one thing people believe in. Some people believe in multiple gods, one god, no god, or things that shouldn't be god.

I know that it may sound a bit weird but in my opinion next generation doesn't have to mean that new Pokemon will be created. For instead we would receive a new console with even more improved graphics etc. Next new battle moves and abilities could be introduced. And some of Pokemon could have modified their learnsets in games.

What about the anime? As it was mentioned before writers must face the really big problem - lack of ideas. Moving the show to yet another region can really get the viewers bored. But it's still a possiblity it will happen. We can have a new video game with a new region without new pokemon introuduced. There we will meet our heroes watching the series. How will spectator's reaction be then? It's hard to say.

We already have 493 species. New pokemon can't be created constantly. I'm not surprised that there are fans who quit being interested in Pokemon because

"there are so many random species that we can't even remember".

It should be taken into consideration

If you mean like Scyther being the Mantis Pokemon why does that matter? That's really trivial.

If you mean the Pokemon themselves, it really isn't that hard. I memorized all 493 Pokemon, and their types. It doesn't take me that long to remember Pokemon for some reason. I could very well remember over 1000 Pokemon.

The only difficult thing would be waiting for the English names of said Pokemon.

I say legend wise we just go back to rare and powerful but insanely hard to find. Like the birds or the dogs. It made sense, as opposed to the deity's we've got today.

Ice dragon
Fire Dragon
Dark Dragon

The three game mascots, legendaries, but not because they're gods or anything, but because they are just so damn powerful.

I say legend wise we just go back to rare and powerful but insanely hard to find. Like the birds or the dogs. It made sense, as opposed to the deity's we've got today.

Ice dragon
Fire Dragon
Dark Dragon

The three game mascots, legendaries, but not because they're gods or anything, but because they are just so damn powerful.

another fire mascot? Every gen except the 4th used one... (counting Groudon as a "fire" too). I hope the real mascot won't be fire... (no offense to you tough)

There might be a new 5 gen. Something has to create Arceus. I think it should be a couple more moon stone evolve pokemon. We do not have enough of them.

Something has to create Arceus.

By that logic, wouldn't the thing that created Arceus need to be created itself?

what came first? The torchic or the egg?

We have had a similar arguement about Mew and Arceus.

Even still, they'll need to figure out a way to find a way to get a Legendary who can surpass Arceus, if not in terms of power, then at least in terms of control.

I mean, Mewtwo, while he was still very much the most powerful pokemon in existance at the time, was still surpassed by Ho-Oh, Lugia, and the Three Dogs in terms of Mythology. Ho-Oh and Lugia have also been surpassed in Generation III with Groudon, Kyogre, and Rayquaza, the alleged masters/creators of the land, sea, and sky, respectively. Even they have been surpassed by the time of Generation IV, with Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, and Arceus; with them being the alleged masters/creators of Time, Space [as in Spacetime Continuum], Antimatter, and everything, respectively. They definitely would be impossibly under pressure to think of a legendary pokemon that can top that.

I mean, Mewtwo, while he was still very much the most powerful pokemon in existance at the time, was still surpassed by Ho-Oh, Lugia, and the Three Dogs in terms of Mythology

That's only because Mewtwo's story establishes he was born like two years ago.

I hope they don't invent more. I mean seriously, we have up to almost 500 different Pokemon! There isn't any need for new ones. This might be because my favorite Pokemon generation was the first one and I found the later ones just getting more and more silly. But yeah, there probably will be tons more but I wish there wouldn't be.

There will be more because Pokémon is Nintendo's biggest cash cow. Anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom