• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why was Dawn treated better as a co-star than May was?

And what has that title to do with Haruka's story? Haruka is still the first co-star of pokemon. Her storyline was obviously develoved during entire Hoenn-BF region. What if the title doesn't reflect that?

If AG isn't her story, that means she is just a secondary character next to Satoshi, not a co-star...

Pretty much this. Every new character and rival is handled better than the previous due to the writers getting better with handling characters.

How is that explain Kenny, Zoey, Iris and Shooty?

Too bad Shooti, Zoey, and Kenny don't fall in that category.

In terms of screentime they still got better treatment than May rivals did.Zoey for instance received alot focus as rival, more than Mays main rival did.

And we cant determine objectively if Dawn rivals got good development or not since quality often tends to be subjective depending on personal taste if someone will be content with her rivals or not.

On bulbagarden they werent received too well among older fanbase but tbh one forum is not whole fandom.

And what has that title to do with Haruka's story? Haruka is still the first co-star of pokemon. Her storyline was obviously develoved during entire Hoenn-BF region. What if the title doesn't reflect that?

People are taking definitions of protagonists,sidekicks and co-stars too literally viewing everything as "black and white" ignoring grey areas.

May can be viewed in my opinion as first co-star considering how she received more screentime than supporting characters did having on going deeply focused quest,rivals,theme song etc.She got everything Dawn got just in smaller amount.

Sure Dawn was almost equal to Ash in amount of character centric episodes but to be honest someone doesnt need to receive as much as Ash does to be considered as co-star.

Honestly? I'm so fed up with people saying "because ___ is better!" with things like this. Your own personal preference didn't dictate who got screentime in the anime. I know plenty of people who think heroines went downhill with Dawn, and in my experience I'd really say it's because they've been experimenting with use of female main characters and taking a step further when they realised it worked. No character is better than any other, they're all different and they have different strengths and varying screen time depending on what the writers and audience want. I don't believe the female co-star in DP would've got any more or less screen time had it been any other character they'd created, to be honest. Dawn just happened to be the one, and it seems like no-one wants to listen to that because they have too much personal attachment to the characters to understand that they are simply put there to match supply, demand and convenience.

Again, why does this matter?

Assuming no future co-stars are ever introduced, May will always have the second biggest role for a travel companion in the series.

May got plenty of eps in AG, both in and outside of Contests.

Why was Dawn treated better than May was?

Maybe it's because Diamond and Pearl was better than Ruby and Sapphire. I don't know what else to think. Each generation game that comes out is starting to get more better. So if they make the games better why not make the characters?

I always just thought it was because May was their first try as a female co-star and they wanted to fix their, uh, "mistakes" with her by making Dawn even more important.

Oh, and:

Honestly? I'm so fed up with people saying "because ___ is better!" with things like this. Your own personal preference didn't dictate who got screentime in the anime.

I don't know if I consider May a true co-srat or not. Even though she did get a lot of focus she was always second to Ash, while Dawn seemed to be an equal to Ash. But I guess after they saw how popular May and contests were they decided to give the next coordinator an even bigger role.

I don't know why. I think the writers focused way too much on Dawn during the DP saga and that's why it lasted 4 years which was too long. May is so much cuter than Dawn but Dawn's okay.

Maybe they just did it like that... you know, nothing about Dawn being better than May; they just gave Dawn more.

Yes definitely, but I think it was because of their personalities that it panned out that way. Even though they started out equally, May was always portrayed as a novice and very much being tutored by Ash and Co.
Dawn was more confident and didn't necessarily need guidance or Ash's help to progress, so naturally they seemed more like equals to one an other.

Another reason she seemed more important was the sheer unimportance Brock's presence had during DP.

I liked that May was a true beginner. It makes people see that just because you start out tough doesn't mean they won't be good later. And Ash was way worse.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom