• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why was Jun introduced to the anime?

anonymous920314

何だよ?!
Reaction score
While I have nothing but gratitude on the writers' part, I can't help but wonder why they decided to include Jun as opposed to one of their usual anime-only rivals.

I thought that the reasoning behind it might be because he's Palmer's son and they plan on doing some big story with the BF. Perhaps it was just because the writers were too lazy and just took guidance from the games. Heck, I don't know.

Also, where do you think this rivalry will lead?

I think originally they didn't plan to include Jun (hence him not showing up until 100 episodes in DP), but then at some point the writers changed their minds.

He honestly seemed like a last-minute inclusion, we really should have seen him debut somewhere around DP4 or DP5 at the beginning of the series with all the other new DP characters, not so late into it.

I also think its because Ash usually has 2 rivals each league, and this time its going to be characters Ash knows rather than introducing some new end-of-league rival that nobody cares about.

I thought that the reasoning behind it might be because he's Palmer's son and they plan on doing some big story with the BF.

Maybe, but as far as I see it the show's producres wanted to give Ash a second rival similar to how May/Dawn have one in contests.

Not too mention, in terms of the games, Jun is the most interesting rival since Gary (Blue) in terms of their personality.

I'm not sure. I agree with you that they probably have plans for him later on when and if Palmer comes into the anime.

I'm glad they did, though. I think he's the first game rival to have a major role in the anime since Gary, am I right? (Brendan's cameo in the beginning of movie nine doesn't count). Even though the Johto protagonists, Jimmy and Marina, were seen in Legend of Thunder, we never saw the red haired kid. I'll just call him Silver like everyone else.

They probably just wanted for Ash to have a friendly rival alongside his not-so-friendly rival. *shrugs* With Sinnoh being relatively close to finishing and there still being no signs of generation 5, a Sinnoh Battle Frontier arc seems more and more likely, so maybe that did have something to do with it. It's been made incredibly clear that the writers have been putting more thought into plotting and foreshadowing lately, after all.

Pretty much what Scott said. They've been sticking closer to the games, so this isn't too surprising.

I think the rivalry will end at the league unless there's a Battle Frontier arc. Then the two of them can see who can conquer it the fastest.

I think Jun's like Morrison and Harrison. He'll be there for the league and maybe show up a few more times.

I guess they wanted to add another rivalry to Ash this time. Dawn has two rivals in Zoey and Kenny, so it's only fair that Ash gets a secondary rival, and rather then just make up a brand new character, they decide to use a character the game provides.

With Sinnoh being relatively close to finishing and there still being no signs of generation 5, a Sinnoh Battle Frontier arc seems more and more likely, so maybe that did have something to do with it.

The only problem is Ash already turned down the offer to be a Frontier Brain, so why would he even want to challenge another Battle Frontier? Ash didn't even know what the reward was for the previous one till right before he beat Brandon, but now that Ash knows, what would be the point? Ash will challenge 5 more Brains and turn down the offer a second time?

I really don't want to see another BF arc. After all the hype about the Sinnoh Elite 4 it would be a let-down to see that thrown away just to sit through a repeat of last gen.

Good point. A Sinnoh BF is probably going to happen, but with the E4 hype... what would be the point? I always thought the "Battle Frontier" was a pretty stupid feature anyway.

Does anyone else think Jun will be dumped after the Sinnoh League? Like a Morrison?

I guess that makes sense. Ash beats Jun and looses to Paul.

The only problem is Ash already turned down the offer to be a Frontier Brain, so why would he even want to challenge another Battle Frontier? Ash didn't even know what the reward was for the previous one till right before he beat Brandon, but now that Ash knows, what would be the point? Ash will challenge 5 more Brains and turn down the offer a second time?

I really don't want to see another BF arc. After all the hype about the Sinnoh Elite 4 it would be a let-down to see that thrown away just to sit through a repeat of last gen.

Am I correct in assuming Professor Oak created the Sinnoh Battle Frontier, or at least played some part in it's creation? If Professor Oak is responsible for the anime sinnoh battle frontier, then I doubt that will be the case since Professor Oak knows Ash isn't going to idly stand in one spot for too long. And Scott knows this as well, so I doubt Ash will win anything except a trophy or whatever Ash would win. I mean if it was somebody other than Ash then the offer of being a frontier brain might be true but since its Ash I doubt it'll be a problem. Ash might even say if he wins we won't accept the battle frontier brain position from the get go.

Besides Ash could do it just to get stronger. When aiming to be a Pokemon master, is there any reason why you wouldn't do a challenge to test your skills as a Pokemon trainer?

Also if anything I think Jun might win the frontier brain position. Ash refuses and then Jun wins and accepts being a frontier brain.

Or Ash will lose to Paul or Jun in the league, therefore failing to get to the Elite Four, then learn that he can get another shot if he wins the Battle Frontier.

Great, and let's have DP end as an almost carbon copy of last generation.

Instead of seeing something new like Ash challenging the Elite 4, we can sit through another Battle Frontier arc, watch Ash reject the offer to be a Frontier Brain a second time, and then watch Dawn/Zoey/Kenny all run off to a different region together as Ash prepares to head to Gen 5's region.

Oh, and in Gen 5 they should bring Brock back again, and have the 5th gen girl be yet another girly girl coordinator. And then we can start the cycle all over again! Brilliant.

The anime runs on repetition, why is it so surprising for you that it runs on repetition? why are you so surprised?

The anime runs on repetition, why is it so surprising for you that it runs on repetition? why are you so surprised?

He's just doing it to be antagonistic.

I would absolutely LOVE, though, to see how he proposes to fill the gap between the Sinnoh League and the far-off fifth generation. I really would.

He's just doing it to be antagonistic.

I would absolutely LOVE, though, to see how he proposes to fill the gap between the Sinnoh League and the far-off fifth generation. I really would.

*pipes up* Let's all go back to Johto! :D

That would be my proposition, anyway. >_>

I can see that as a possibility for the Battle Frontier's location.

After all, the first Battle Frontier turned out to be in Kanto in the anime.

The Kanto we returned to last gen barely felt like Kanto aside from Mt. Moon and Pewter Gym, they'll probably make hardly any references to Johto landmarks either.

I'd rather see the writers do something new, challenging the Elite 4 has never been done before, and its actually being foreshadowed.

Much better option than to see DP end the same way last generation did.

Last edited:
Yawn. He'll beat Paul - because the anime has to prove that the Power of Friendship trumps all, and then loose to Jun. Like always.

Lose to Jun?! No way. He's the hilarious goofy rival we're not supposed to take seriously. If Satoshi ever loses to him all his character development the past two series disappears.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom