• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why was Team Rocket changed so much in the dub?

Is it just me or was TR still dubbed similar to 4kids back in the Battle Frontier season?

When Battle Frontier was airing, I don't remember people complaining about TR's dialogue like in DP. Were they dubbed more accurately in Battle Frontier? Its been so long I can't remember.

Well, I had other reasons to hate dub TR during the BF season :)

I'm rewatching Aipom and Circumstances...they still use alliteration and those unbearable "rhyming cheers." It was bad, but I think that it's at its worse now :/

I wouldn't be surprised. A lot of the people here, including me, have had that problem at one point or another.

Does anyone here have siblings who are in the show's target audience? What do they have to say about the way the trio talks in the dub?

Though I'm only 13(idk if that's considered young on here or not..),my little sister makes fun of their jokes and says they're stupid and boring and she can't wait for them to blast off so the show focuses back on Ash and Dawn. My sister is also farmiliar with the original series since I still have casettes and she always laughs at the trio while we watch the old episodes together and complains through the new ones.

Last edited:
My 8 year old nephew watches Diamond and Pearl and he says that TR talks too fast sometimes. He also said that some of the things they say are confusing and he'd rather watch Ash battle. I showed him some of the older episodes and he laughed at them more than in the DP episodes.

It just seems like every lines that comes from them is either a rhyme, outdated 80s and 90s slang, alliteration, or an insult, mainly James and Meowth insulting Jessie or talking about how she's gonna hurt them some kind of way. I can just imagine DP TR saying:
James: Soon we'll be the shining stars of Sinnoh!
Jessie: Rolling in dough!
Meowth: Yo ho ho!

I wouldn't be surprised if they already said something like that.

I can just imagine DP TR saying:
James: Soon we'll be the shining stars of Sinnoh!
Jessie: Rolling in dough!
Meowth: Yo ho ho!

I wouldn't be surprised if they already said something like that.

That's my main gripe with them. They're rhyming for the sake of rhyming. To the point it's like random sentences strung together which really doesn't make sense.

No idea. But most days I watch pokemon at half 6 in the morning, and I'm in no mood to comprehend what they are saying so it flies right over my head.

I don't get it myself. I have a nephew whose six years old and doesn't understand anything they're saying but finds Ash's group and Barry to be hilarious... And my three year old little brother finds TR funny mostly because he likes Meowth and for them to blast off...

My cousin who is 9 or ten doesn't like Team Rocket but also finds Ash and his groups, his rivals to be great and funny in their own ways...

It's funny how much TR has changed as when I was five/six, they were hilarious but it's also funny that it's also during Johto, my uncle and I both found TR less amusing... But still much better than the constant rhyming and annoying puns with the constant adding in slang that no one says but a nerdy guy whose writing the script who thinks that's cool or shows how villianous they are.

I don't get it.

I just hope the new season will be the end of that... If so, it'll make the new season a masterpiece of sorts.

It's funny how much TR has changed as when I was five/six, they were hilarious but it's also funny that it's also during Johto, my uncle and I both found TR less amusing... But still much better than the constant rhyming and annoying puns with the constant adding in slang that no one says but a nerdy guy whose writing the script who thinks that's cool or shows how villianous they are

What is so funny about that? By the time Johto rolled around, TR's antics started getting old hat, so of course they weren't going to be as amusing as they were in Kanto/Orange.

The arrival of Wobbufett is probably the one good thing about TR in Johto, other than that and a few funny eps here and there, TR really didn't do much of anything in Johto other than steal Pikachu in every ep.

Jouto seems to be the time when TR started to be more rewritten. I think that's a factor as well.

exactly....
my 9 year-old brother thinks TR is very boring and he doesn't understand wat they say for most of the time, however when i showed him some older episodes he started to like them, and also began to ROFL at them in the early series, and note that my adopted sister,that is only three years younger than me (she's 12),whom i only recently discovered that she also likes pokemon since early Hoenn, because she used to watch it at the orphanage that she was in, she used to dilike the Trio now in DP(well... actually she used to dislike everything as she used to be a gothic of sorts), but when i showed her the same episodes that i had shown to my brother, she started to ''defrost'' a little bit and became happier as she was able to start laughing out loud again, and now we are unseparable, and this is one of the many things that i've got to thank the pokemon anime from my very soul...

Wow, not even kids like it. :p As for me, I'm pretty neutral. I don't recall ever finding TR funny, but my memory is a giant blur for most of the series. I just sort of tune them out. If they continue doing this for the Unova region, then I might stop watching the dub, because this nonsense does not fit the new TR.

That's my main gripe with them. They're rhyming for the sake of rhyming. To the point it's like random sentences strung together which really doesn't make sense.

This pretty much sums up my opinion on how they're handled in the dub now. They're pretty much just rhyming to sound cool and funny but it's not working and it doesn't make sense. I also hate how Meowth and James complain about Jessie hurting them or them insulting each other. Sometimes the dub makes it seem like these 3 hate each other and it makes you wonder why they're even on the same team.

I really don't get why Meowth/James say things like, "We're lucky to be alive!" when Jessie performs well in Contests.

This didn't happen under 4kids. Back then James just didn't want Jessie to use his Pokemon, but that's it.

TPCi makes it seem like Jessie is abusive towards her teammates and will hurt or possible kill them if she doesn't do well in a contest. I think the perfect example of this is when the princess with the Togekiss entered the contest as Dawn. In the original Meowth was basically saying that it won't be long until Jessie gets her fifth ribbon but the dub has him say something like "Ribbon number five will keep us alive!" You never heard something like that on the 4Kids dub.

I'm pretty sure James/Meowth never said things like that in the AG contests.

James was scared when Jessie used Cacnea or Chimecho, but I don't recall them ever "fearing for their life," back in AG.

^ Exactly. I can understand James being scared about his pokemon being in a contest battle. I don't get why TPCi made James and Meowth describe Jessie as some kind of murderer or something.

While the children mentioned here are a small amount compared to the many who watch the show... this... isn't a good sign for dub TR.

Gliscor'd said:
When Best Wishes is dubbed, I don't see HOW they could change TR anymore.

They could still give them all that dialogue stuff they're apparently doing now.

Their interactions wouldn't call for it.

They don't have to. The dubbers could still give them "funny" lines to say.

Not that I'm saying they should...

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom