• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why was Team Rocket changed so much in the dub?

Let's just hope that they're not given "funny" lines to say in the BW dub. Hopefully we won't have to hear how "abusive" Jessie is either.

I hate TPCi's Team Rocket. 4Kids had them talk like normal people with the occasional pun or joke, but at least those were kind of funny at times. Whenever TPCi's TR says something I just face palm and roll my eyes. Were they that way in Battle Frontier? It seems like they've become more "loving those alliterations" during DP. I bet little kids can't even understand a word TR says now. I barely understand them because they say things in the most obnoxious and irritating way possible. Dr. Seuss would walk up to them and go, "Okay look, you guys really need to cut down on the rhymes and alliterations. You dig it?"

I hate TPCi's Team Rocket. 4Kids had them talk like normal people with the occasional pun or joke, but at least those were kind of funny at times. Whenever TPCi's TR says something I just face palm and roll my eyes. Were they that way in Battle Frontier? It seems like they've become more "loving those alliterations" during DP. I bet little kids can't even understand a word TR says now. I barely understand them because they say things in the most obnoxious and irritating way possible. Dr. Seuss would walk up to them and go, "Okay look, you guys really need to cut down on the rhymes and alliterations. You dig it?"

:lol: That sums up how I feel about Team Rocket. Hopefully BW changes my opinion on dub Team Rocket. Although I can see them soing the same thing for when Meowth dresses up like Umbreon in episode 4.

When I was 10(when battle frontier was on) I found Manene/Mime Jr. tickle pretty funny and then Combusken Uppercutting it and Lillian saying "that's a beautiful sky uppercut" and James saying "Not from my point of view!".

In the Pachirisu ep(when I was 11) Pachirisu was running around all hyper and shocked all the Pokemon into fainting. I have a sorta dark type of sense of humor so seeing Pachirisu betray Dawn/Hikari only to be blown up by a dramatic explosion minutes later on Meowth/Nyasu balloon was too funny to me.

Back in Kanto when Pikachu was about to shock them they said,"He's gonna shock us. He's gonna shock us! HE'S GONNA SHOCK US! HE'SGONNASHOCKUS!" for me was funny.

Back in Kanto where Jesse was holding James and Meowth from falling from the building they kept saying dont drop us. Then Haunter showed up with a bomb and did funny stuff and her face got all bloated and she couldnt help it then the screen broke in glass and she fell and I laughed so hard I was 5 at the time.

I agree with you Fujioka. In fact there are times where TR may say the same thing in the dub as they did in the Japanese version but dub TR would say it in the most obnoxious or backwards way that you might not realize it at first. Or for people who haven't seen the Japanese version, they'd probably be scratching their heads trying to figure out what the hell TR meant. Dogasu's comparisons have some great examples of that.

When I was 10(when battle frontier was on) I found Manene/Mime Jr. tickle pretty funny and then Combusken Uppercutting it and Lillian saying "that's a beautiful sky uppercut" and James saying "Not from my point of view!".

In the Pachirisu ep(when I was 11) Pachirisu was running around all hyper and shocked all the Pokemon into fainting. I have a sorta dark type of sense of humor so seeing Pachirisu betray Dawn/Hikari only to be blown up by a dramatic explosion minutes later on Meowth/Nyasu balloon was too funny to me.

Back in Kanto when Pikachu was about to shock them they said,"He's gonna shock us. He's gonna shock us! HE'S GONNA SHOCK US! HE'SGONNASHOCKUS!" for me was funny.

Back in Kanto where Jesse was holding James and Meowth from falling from the building they kept saying dont drop us. Then Haunter showed up with a bomb and did funny stuff and her face got all bloated and she couldnt help it then the screen broke in glass and she fell and I laughed so hard I was 5 at the time.

I thought all those were funny aswell. As a kid I loved season 1 due to all that.

As an adult the Pachirisu episode is a very big favourite of mine dub wise due to the way pachirisu was acting to Dawn and the gang and what team rocket came out with due to Pachirisu aswell.XP

I know it sounds weird to be laughing at that sort of thing but I've been always like that. I was and still am a very big fan of that sort of style of jokes. I liked things like bugs bunny which also is very violent in that sort of way. Then there was road runner. So I enjoy Pokemon and team rocket in that same way.

It's probably why I love Piplup aswell. I saw it as the daffy duck of Pokemon.=P

Team rocket don't bother me too much even now. I can understand them still. I'm still able to follow them just fine in season 12 and season 13 without any worry so far.

Plus I see team rocket still funny. I mean the last time I laughed at team rocket was today when watching a season 12 episode on TV in Australia. Yesterday's episode was funny too.=)

I don't mind if they're like the old episodes or new episodes when they talk. I found both funny and as long as I can understand it doesn't bother me at all.

As long as I can follow what's going on I'm not too bothered plus I still find certain things they say funny. I love how I can watch these episodes over and over and find new things to laugh at though. A joke that may have went over my head the first time I suddenly catch on the 3rd or 4th viewing. I love that because it gives me more reason to watch season 1 right through to season 11 on DVD and onwards.

Last edited:
Occasionally I do laugh at some of TR's TPCi lines, but I found the 4Kids version of them much funnier. Plus, what's with Meowth saying "oy vey?" Why the hell is a talking cat using Yiddish expressions? I think James used one in an episode before too. Does TPCi really expect little kids to understand that the hell the TRio is talking about?

Occasionally I do laugh at some of TR's TPCi lines, but I found the 4Kids version of them much funnier. Plus, what's with Meowth saying "oy vey?" Why the hell is a talking cat using Yiddish expressions? I think James used one in an episode before too. Does TPCi really expect little kids to understand that the hell the TRio is talking about?

Then you would hate New Jersey cause' that's a Brooklyn accent Meowth is working with.

I laughed at Dawn's Meowth impression.

Ash:We have a message from Meowth for you.
Dawn:If you twerps see Jesse or James anywhere, tell em' I'm hanging in and chilling out.

I don't remember 4Kids ever have Meowth or any member of the TRio using Yiddish expressions. That was TPCi. I don't mind Meowth's Brooklyn accent. Sure it's pretty pointless (and how did Meowth get that accent if the dub said he grew up in Hollywood?) but I've gotten used to it so it doesn't bother me. I was just saying that little kids probably won't know what those types of words mean. I remember James using one too and it really threw me off.

"oy vey" use to get used in alot of western cartoons. Many western cartoons I watched as a kid had it and I worked it out without problems.

Then you would hate New Jersey cause' that's a Brooklyn accent Meowth is working with.

I laughed at Dawn's Meowth impression.

Ash:We have a message from Meowth for you.
Dawn:If you twerps see Jesse or James anywhere, tell em' I'm hanging in and chilling out.

Lol that's quite funny and I don't know whether I've seen the episode or not yet.XP

I really need to finish up DP and go through the episodes again.=)

Last edited:
Maybe you understand it but what about the little kids who have never heard it before? How do you expect them to understand it? And here's a perfect example from Dogasu's DP 184 comparison:

After the new merchandise proves itself to be a huge success:

James: "We'll sell until we're tchotchkes free!"
Jessie, James, and Meowth: "With big bonuses for you and me!"

I know Meowth has said "oy vey" before (and that's only the most recent example!), but I believe this may be the first time we've heard James utter a Yiddish expression. Are the ten year olds to who this show is aimed supposed to know what tchotchkes are? And when will Jessie get a Yiddish phrase of her own?

That pretty much summarizes exactly what I was talking about. What little kid is gonna understand that? Hell, I didn't even know what James was talking about until I read this.

I remember Team Rocket using a bit of slang in Battle Frontier. James said "no duh" in one episode. and I know this isn't TR related but I remember Ash saying that after he wins a Frontier Symbol he was gonna "raise the roof." I "raised my hand into my face" after I heard that.

Most of the stuff TR says are things that no kid today would say. I don't know one person who actually talks like that.
Compare:
Nyasu: So he has a Darkrai..

to

Meowth: Dig dat! Dude's got a Darkrai!

That isn't an exact quote I don't think but that's typically how TPCi's TR talks.

Maybe you understand it but what about the little kids who have never heard it before? How do you expect them to understand it? And here's a perfect example from Dogasu's DP 184 comparison:

That pretty much summarizes exactly what I was talking about. What little kid is gonna understand that? Hell, I didn't even know what James was talking about until I read this.

Okay you made your point. I'm not in the mood to argue anyway.

I must have been a smart 5 year old because I worked the stuff out and researched what I didn't understand. Thing is that's how I have always functioned in life.

It was the only way I could enjoy American cartoons since many used cultural references in both speech and action aswell as Yiddish that I just didn't understand without research. I lived in Australia all my life so American culture is something I had to research when I was young very much like how I research japanese culture.

There is stuff in the 4kids version I still don't understand till this day even with the research because the reference has no meaning to me so I just think "oh well" and keep going with enjoying the show.

Last edited:
Okay you made your point. I'm not in the mood to argue anyway.

I must have been a smart 5 year old because I worked the stuff out and researched what I didn't understand. Thing is that's how I have always functioned in life.

It was the only way I could enjoy American cartoons since many used cultural references in both speech and action aswell as Yiddish that I just didn't understand without research. I lived in Australia all my life so American culture has always been the thing like japanese stuff that I have to research jokes and speech here and there. Now days going from all my research and knowledge I don't have to research as much these days as I did as a kid.

There is stuff in the 4kids version I still don't understand till this day even with the research because the reference has no meaning to me so I just think "oh well" and keep going with enjoying the show.

Sorry if it seemed like I was trying to start an argument. I understand that some people might understand TR and don't really mind them. In fact, I'm so used to TPCi's TR that I really don't mind it as much. The only thing I was bringing up is that the target audience for Pokemon, which is little kids, most likely won't understand it.

And I kind of like when Meowth says oy vey too. And I knew what it meant when I was little but I really didn't hear it that much because I don't know many people who talk that way since I live in the midwest USA. I'm just wondering why TPCi has TR talking in this way. 4Kids was kind of the same way at times by having characters say words that would be "too big" or unusual for their target audience.

What irks me most is how the dub screwed them out of the character development they got in the original DP.

191 episodes on and James is still whipped, Jessie acts as abusive as ever and they're still biting each other's heads off for no real reason.

Sorry if it seemed like I was trying to start an argument. I understand that some people might understand TR and don't really mind them. In fact, I'm so used to TPCi's TR that I really don't mind it as much. The only thing I was bringing up is that the target audience for Pokemon, which is little kids, most likely won't understand it.

And I kind of like when Meowth says oy vey too. And I knew what it meant when I was little but I really didn't hear it that much because I don't know many people who talk that way since I live in the midwest USA. I'm just wondering why TPCi has TR talking in this way. 4Kids was kind of the same way at times by having characters say words that would be "too big" or unusual for their target audience.

That's okay. Usually I'm up for a debate however I haven't been feeling that well lately so my mood isn't the best.

I can understand what you mean about children and keeping them in mind when it comes to allowing them to understand dialogue. I don't know what kids want these days and also what phrases or words they do or don't understand and so I try to keep an open mind (sometimes I fail at it though so I'm still working on it) even though I don't want to admit that kids see what I liked as a kid as old. I admit that not wanting to admit comes out sometimes as you have probably noticed in my earlier posts. Though what I thought was cool being ancient to the new generation is what my mum told me anyway coming from parents she talked to.=/

I thought I did understand kids at one point. However each generation of kids are different. It looked like for a while that everyone disliked current team rocket except me and a few others on the forums then suddenly a magazine I bought last year had a section based around team rocket new and old and a kid's letter who liked team rocket asking for a whole issue based on them.=/

So there are some kids who like them still. However the opinions are very mixed from what I've seen.

I don't know of the reasons for TCPI's direction but they've chosen it one way or another. It's not something I like to think too much on since I tend to avoid thinking about companies when watching. Plus I still enjoy and understand what's going on. I watch the show from season 1-13 for team rocket mainly.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom