• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why was Team Rocket changed so much in the dub?

Which doesn't explain the butchering of Rocket Dan yo Eien ni or other character traits that weren't Japanese.

That's not a good enough reason to completely rewrite their characters. I guess 4Kids thought they weren't funny enough either so they made them more like Saturday morning cartoon villains. I remember hearing that they almost cut out the scene with Meowth talking to clone Meowth under the moon from the movie because they said that scene was more for Nyasu and not for their version of Meowth. They said that Nyasu was more of a philosopher while Meowth was more of a wisecracker.

Sorry to bump this but I was listening to the commentary for Pokemon The First Movie and they talked about Team Rocket for a bit. One of the writers said that Team Rocket was changed because they would constantly make references to Japanese things that couldn't translate well into English or dress up in Japanese clothes so they changed them.

they are more liable to make puns and cultural references than most the other characters, true. However, it's hardly so excessive that they need to completely change the characters altogether. A lot of the dialog, like the scene I mentioned earlier, can translate perfectly well into English. Even when puns and references are involved, it's not like those couldn't be replaced with some equivalent.

Team Rocket's pretty awesome in Best Wishes actually. xD
So far anyway. I registered JUST so I could say that. Haha :p

4kids also said in commentary that the reason they didn't get big-name actors for the Pokémon movies wasn't because of money (I can't remember the exact excuse they used; I think it was something like not wanting to take the focus away from Pokémon) - but we all know that's bull; 4kids love to use their in-house VAs. 'tis a shame, I'd have loved to hear Sean Connery as Mewtwo.

So y'know, don't believe everything they say.

Even though I didn't see the episode yet I hear that Team Rocket is back to their old selves in the newest episode of BW. Does that means they'll go back to being punny and crap in the dub? Oh Arceus help us...

Even though I didn't see the episode yet I hear that Team Rocket is back to their old selves in the newest episode of BW. Does that means they'll go back to being punny and crap in the dub? Oh Arceus help us...

"Once we acquire that rare Axew, the boss'll analogy use all day! Dig? HA-RAY!"

"Once we get Pikachu we'll be in the top order of all of these! With Bonuses for you and me!"

"Require those precious peepers and catch Snivy on a dime! Sublime!"

^ I can actually picture them saying that, especially the one about Snivy.

I hope they don't go back to their DP dialogue. At least since there's no contests we won't have to worry about hearing James and Meowth talk about how Jessie will murder them.

At least since there's no contests we won't have to worry about hearing James and Meowth talk about how Jessie will murder them.
Sadly, they dissed each other as much as they could outside of contests too.

^ I can actually picture them saying that, especially the one about Snivy.

I hope they don't go back to their DP dialogue. At least since there's no contests we won't have to worry about hearing James and Meowth talk about how Jessie will murder them.

I'm just thinking stuff up they would say just outta boredom.

"When we pilfer those powerful Pidove we'll win and be in a new Pecking order with the boss!"

"That awesome Oshawott will be our otter to own all day long onward till our new steal!

If we can get that snobby snivy! We'll be snipping in a new snap with the boss!

Once we obtain that Pidove Pigeon Pokemon our Power will plump up 100 and we'll be in a new pecking order with the boss!

If Team Rocket goes back to talking the way they did in DP then I'll probably give up on the dub. Dub Team Rocket aren't even much of a "team" because they're always inslting each other while saying things in the most annoying and lame ways.

If Team Rocket goes back to talking the way they did in DP then I'll probably give up on the dub. Dub Team Rocket aren't even much of a "team" because they're always inslting each other while saying things in the most annoying and lame ways.

Well, if this new old Team Rocket has the personalities and humor (only better) of the previously old and the threat and competence shown by the previously new (in show a perfect blend of their previous selves), the dub might not go down the rhyming/alliterations route again (I hope). This is because Zoppi wanted DP TR to be funny to American kids but ultimately ended up trying WAY TOO HARD! Not even 4kids went as far as TPCi with TR's dialogue alterations.

Plus, if I had to guess, the dub writers are probably just as sick of those rhymes and alliterations as we are and who wouldn't be?

Honestly, I started hating them the moment they got rid of the original motto. So, yeaah

The one thing I'm not looking forward to is episode 25 of Best Wishes dubbed.

They go back to their DP selves, does this mean more aliterations, puns, and rhymes? Oh goody......

As of late I've started to wonder more why Team Rocket changed so much between the two dubs. Zoppi/Cathcart/whatever he likes being known as may've become head writer (and seemingly the only one, as there doesn't seem to be anyone else credited for script adaptation in TPCi's credits) in 2006 when PUSA took over the dub, but he didn't just fall into this job, he'd had the same role in the 4Kids dub from 2002-2006... y'know, when TR weren't exactly accurate but at least sounded like human beings. (although he was part of a rotating team in the 4Kids dub)

It seems like the only explaination for the way TR was from sesasons 9-13 is that Jimmy Zoppi ascending to the position of sole writer for the show (as opposed to the 4 or so 4Kids used when he was in their rotation) as well as the voice of 2/3rds of TR allowed him to make the TRio exactly how he wanted, which hardly anyone else seems to like.

And yes, I also worry about what they'll be like when the dub reaches BW25.

The one thing I'm not looking forward to is episode 25 of Best Wishes dubbed.

Well, there's only one way to find out and only time will tell.

Besides, we're not going to see them all the time so even if they do rhyme again in the dub we won't have to deal with it every episode.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom