• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why was Trip created?

Cilan

Reaction score
Why do you think they created Trip instead of using Cheren as Ash's main BW rival? Both Cheren and Trip both have similar goals and you could really change them up and it wouldn't be much of a difference.

I can see why Paul was created. Since Barry is your main rival in the games and was more comic relief Ash needed a serious rival in DP. But Cheren is your main rival in BW and he might not be a jerk like Blue and Silver, but he was still serious while Bianca was more comic relief. Why didn't they just use Cheren? Why use Trip? If they wanted Cheren to be a Gary/Paul type jerk then they could have made him that way in the anime.

I think the writers enjoy having characters for rivals that do not appear in the games. It sets them more apart, besides the often change of plot. I am sure that the same writer/artist had a play with Trip as with Paul causing them to have similar features and attitudes. Also, Trip replacing Cheren and only Bianca appearing so far might be something similar to the female player characters (May and Dawn) appearing in the anime while the male player characters (Brendan and Lucas) have brief cameos in the movies.

Then again, I actually think that Cheren will appear later on in the anime as a more experienced Trainer. I would love to see Bianca "recognize" Cheren as her childhood friend and tell Ash something like, "Cheren actually started his journey on time, unlike me." Mainly since she has recognized that she started her journey relatively late because of her father. A friend and I were talking about how Cheren could appear towards the last of the Gyms and later in the League. Only time will tell, however.

Trip was created to make us realize how much more entertaining Gary and Paul really were, as both rivals and characters.

My guess is that maybe they wanted Cheren to have a different role in the anime. Since they have Bianca as a rival for Ash, Cheren could be a rival for Bianca or a mentor to her. The anime doesn't always treat the game characters as they act in the games. Instead of having Steven be champ of Hoenn, they made him a CotD. I guess they wanted an anime exclusive character for the role of Ash's main rival.

I'm under the impression that Shootie was created based off the success of Shinji. In realizing how popular a rival Shinji was and how much he contributed to the story, the writers decided to implement an expy to get the same reaction.

Unfortunately, as it may seem, they blatantly forgot the number one rule to rivalries: they actually have to be WRITTEN, and not IMPLIED without any evidence to back it up.

Trip was created because of the success of Paul. Writers thought they could duplicate success a second time, this is the same reason Contests originally continued in DP, because they saw something work the first time.

Hopefully Trip's loss to Cilan fixes the character.

I always thought Ash needed a "main" rival who does have the same age, but I can agree with Gliscor'd that Trip was created because of Paul's success.

Trip is there to make a difference between the games and anime !
I would love Cheren to appear bad the chances are small! With this amount of rivals he doesn't need anyone else to be there! Of course if they want an Mega-Rival for the Isshu league they can make him appear!

Coming back to Trip! They created Trip on many Paul elements and he is here to push Ash in becoming better! in the end he got some pretty strong Pokemon with him and challenges Ash really well! I love there fights! I think the Ash-tTrip relationship is something like the Zoey Dawn thing! they learn from each other! And that is good! But I would prefer Cheren to be the main rival and N! to appear!

Trip was created because the writers felt that Ash needed a main rival who was his age. Period.

It has very little to do with how the writers instrumented the Ash and Paul rivalry. The writers just created a character out of scratch who served to provide a challenge against Ash. Admittedly this character conceptualization was laziness on the writers's parts, but it still needed to be done.

This is just like asking why Langley and Burgundy were created. The writers felt that giving each of the main characters at least one rival character will spice some things up in the anime storyline. These rivals provide Ash and his companions an opportunity to do something extraneous outside of the obligatory gym battles and major story arcs.

This is the same reason Contests originally continued in DP, because they saw something work the first time.

The contests continued on in the DP anime because the contests had an overhaul in the DP games. The writers were innovating with whatever Game Freak had left to them in the games.

Hopefully Trip's loss to Cilan fixes the character.

I still believe that the Ash and Trip rivalry will receive more focus once Ash interacts with Alder. The problem with Trip is: He is just an ordinary, smug, and arrogant trainer who wants to battle stronger opponents and improve in strength. Ash has very little to compare with Trip other than the types of pokemon he is using and the number of badges he has collected.

Nevertheless, the writers gave us some interesting backstory associated with Trip. We know why Trip is so obsessed with catching and raising pokemon. With his loss to Cilan, we come to understand that Trip is not perfect; that he still has a long way to go in order to reach his goal. Trip is already progressing as an individual who wants to surpass the Champion of the Unova League. He has yet to mesh in with Ash. Trip's desire to battle Alder has almost very little to do with interacting with Ash.

Once Ash interacts with Alder, this could very well change.

Last edited:
This is just like asking why Langley and Burgundy were created. The writers felt that giving each of the main characters at least one rival character will spice some things up in the anime storyline. These rivals provide Ash and his companions an opportunity to do something extraneous outside of the obligatory gym battles and major story arcs.

No, with them it felt like they were trying to better distinguish Iris and Cilan from Misty/Brock. Ash definitely could use a rival this saga, but the way Trip is written just makes him feel like a less interesting Paul expie.

The contests continued on in the DP anime because the contests had an overhaul in the DP games. The writers were innovating with whatever Game Freak had left to them in the games.

They didn't keep anything from the super contests in the games. Much in the same way Trip was created to try and duplicate Paul's success, the only reason Dawn and Contests existed is they were trying to repeat what they did with May and Contests back in AG, only with a new arc this time. The writers could have theoretically done away with Contests when Hoenn ended, instead they bring them back for Kanto when there weren't any in FR/LG at all...and then continue promoting them for another 4 years with a new character? Contests got 8 years of screentime in the anime, the writers didn't have to do that at all.

The writers repeat things back on past success. Then when things run their course they get rid of them. Trip's existence is to Paul what Dawn was to May, and everyone knows it.

I still believe that the Ash and Trip rivalry will receive more focus once Ash interacts with Alder. The problem with Trip is: He is just an ordinary, smug, and arrogant trainer who wants to battle stronger opponents and improve in strength. Ash has very little to compare with Trip other than the types of pokemon he is using and the number of badges he has collected.

Its not like they didn't already do this with Paul and Cynthia. I seriously doubt this trainer and champion will be any different.

They didn't keep anything from the super contests in the games. Much in the same way Trip was created to try and duplicate Paul's success, the only reason Dawn and Contests existed is they were trying to repeat what they did with May and Contests back in AG, only with a new arc this time. The writers could have theoretically done away with Contests when Hoenn ended, instead they bring them back for Kanto when there weren't any in FR/LG at all...and then continue promoting them for another 4 years with a new character? Contests got 8 years of screentime in the anime, the writers didn't have to do that at all.

The writers repeat things back on past success. Then when things run their course they get rid of them. Trip's existence is to Paul what Dawn was to May, and everyone knows it.

1): The writers had to occupy May's time somehow during the Battle Frontier saga. She was still a co-star in AG. The contests were a viable option at the time because there was very little else in the games that the writers could adapt in the anime.

2): Yes, the writers did refer back to the contests in order to flesh out the female co-star, but there was very little else in the games that would provide enough room to necessitate her development. Other than the Super Contests (which were just bigger contests in general), Game Freak did not leave much else in the DP games that the writers of the anime could use to flesh out a secondary co-star. To this end, however, the Pokemon Stylist Competitions retained "some" similarities with the dress-up round of the Super Contests in the games. It's not like the writers hadn't bothered to innovate more with Dawn to prevent her from being treated as a simple May clone.

It's not like they didn't already do this with Paul and Cynthia. I seriously doubt this trainer and champion will be any different.

Nevertheless, we have some justification towards Trip's existence. The writers have given us some insight that this rivalry can improve with the introduction of a secondary character to tie the two rivals together.

The formula will be handled differently due to the context in which Trip and Paul have interacted with their regional Champion. Paul never saw Cynthia as an obstacle in the road to overcome. Paul simply challenged Cynthia to compare his skill against the champion. On the other hand, Trip sees Alder as the person whom he must surpass. Ash and Trip's rivalry in respect to the bond that they might share with Alder may be more centralized just because Alder is the person that they both strive to battle against.

Most of Paul's obsessions towards Ash later on in the series were fueled because Ash had managed to defeat another character that neither Paul nor his brother were able to defeat. Cynthia's presence in this rivalry was kept at a secondary level due to the brief reintroduction of Brandon. I have a feeling that this won't happen with respect to Trip and Alder.

Of course, we can only say those things once Ash interacts with Alder himself. Until this point, most of Trip's potential is kept under wraps.

Last edited:
1) Game Freak did not leave much else in the DP games that the writers of the anime could use to flesh out a secondary co-star. To this end, however, the Pokemon Stylist Competitions retained "some" similarities with the dress-up round of the Super Contests in the games. It's not like the writers hadn't bothered to innovate more with Dawn to prevent her from being treated as a simple May clone.

I think the writers giving the Pokeathlon 1 episode and probably doing the same for the Musicals shows how "little" the writers really had to promote any new secondary sidequests. Don't forget they also completely ignored the new Battle Frontier. The Contests only lasted in the anime as long as they did because they were popular enough to do so. I could have easily seen the contests dropped once Hoenn ended if they bombed in the series. I strongly believe the anime contests were also more popular with the fandom than the in-game contests ever were. 8 years of screentime is quite excessive for what was essentially just a minor throwaway sidequest from the games that most people ignored and didn't do in either R/S or DP.

Nevertheless, we have some justification towards Trip's existence. The writers have given us some insight that this rivalry can improve with the introduction of a secondary character to tie the two rivals together.

It seems to me the writers do better with secondary rivals. Most people loved Barry and Conway back in DP, and most people like Bel, Kenyan and Iris/Cilan's rivals.

A lot of story and effort was put into Paul which is why he became so well received, Trip not only has the unfortunate of coming directly after Paul, but the writers even made his design and mannerisms so similar. Why does Trip even look like a slightly redesigned Paul?

He was created because due to the fact that the characters in-game are older than 10, they have to make a rival about the same age as Ash. Pretty useless if you ask me since they could've made Hillbert and Hilda the main characters instead of Ash to keep Cheren.

Trip was created when Paul and a camera tripped and fell into a blender.
As another person said, I believe that Trip was created to give the anime a little difference from the games.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't one of the show's creators put on a blog before Shuuti was revealed that Best Wishes would have a 'Shinji like rival'. Surely that says something about his creation. It could not of course, but I think it's worth noting.

I think I remember reading something like that too.
I think that if Paul wasn't so popular then most likely we would of had Cheren as Ash's main rival, but since he was popular and a successful rival, they decided to make a rival who was similar to him.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't one of the show's creators put on a blog before Shuuti was revealed that Best Wishes would have a 'Shinji like rival'. Surely that says something about his creation. It could not of course, but I think it's worth noting.

No, that was one of the shows artists who leaked the fact that Iris was the next girl instead of Hilda.

She was surprised they used Iris instead of Hilda and to her, Trip reminded her of Paul. It wasn't from a head writer.

Okay, thanks for comfirming that that isn't a valid agument then.

There are many reasons for why Shuuti could exist. Perhaps they just didn't like Cheren's character design or felt that to protray a xenophobic character, it would be the least controversial to use a anime created character rather than a game one that people would already be attacted to.

Trip lets them make their own character from scratch. With Cheren you have to follow a set path.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom