• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers Why we got the original Maxie/Archie in Episode RR

Macromind101

Reaction score
I have a little theory on why the game designers chose to utilize the original RSE Maxie and Archie instead of their ORAS counterparts. Please give input if you would like to.

My theory is that the Primal Reversion forms of the two titans would have been too much for Maxie and Archie to handle, regardless of whether the PC interfered with their plans or not. Once the Primal Reversion forms were activated, Maxie/Archie would have lost control of the titan (even with Master Balls on hand) and the world was destroyed via drought/flood.

In the original Hoenn games, if the PC did not interfere, Maxie/Archie may have stolen the correct orbs, and since Primal Reversion does not exist in the original Hoenn, Maxie/Archie had no issue controlling the titan without the PC's interference. Also, even if Maxie/Archie stole the wrong orbs, without the PC things may have worked out for them in the end anyways.

Thus, in ORAS Hoenn there was no reality where Maxie/Archie would have succeeded, while in RSE Hoenn there was, so that is why Episode RR has the original Maxie/Archie rather than the reworked ones.

Considering that we also got BW Ghetsis and not B2W2 Ghetsis, I've just assumed that they wanted to stay with the first incarnations of these antagonists because first is apparently always best.

I have a little theory on why the game designers chose to utilize the original RSE Maxie and Archie instead of their ORAS counterparts. Please give input if you would like to.

My theory is that the Primal Reversion forms of the two titans would have been too much for Maxie and Archie to handle, regardless of whether the PC interfered with their plans or not. Once the Primal Reversion forms were activated, Maxie/Archie would have lost control of the titan (even with Master Balls on hand) and the world was destroyed via drought/flood.

In the original Hoenn games, if the PC did not interfere, Maxie/Archie may have stolen the correct orbs, and since Primal Reversion does not exist in the original Hoenn, Maxie/Archie had no issue controlling the titan without the PC's interference. Also, even if Maxie/Archie stole the wrong orbs, without the PC things may have worked out for them in the end anyways.

Thus, in ORAS Hoenn there was no reality where Maxie/Archie would have succeeded, while in RSE Hoenn there was, so that is why Episode RR has the original Maxie/Archie rather than the reworked ones.
Canonically, they were picked from universes where they won. It could just be as simple as the universe they’re from not having Primal Reversion.

Considering that we also got BW Ghetsis and not B2W2 Ghetsis, I've just assumed that they wanted to stay with the first incarnations of these antagonists because first is apparently always best.

Very likely he's not from the same universe as the mainline stories though. In our core-game universe's BW1, Ghetsis' plans were intervened by the player, which wasn't possible in that alternate universe.

Very likely he's not from the same universe as the mainline stories though. In our core-game universe's BW1, Ghetsis' plans were intervened by the player, which wasn't possible in that alternate universe.

Maybe whatever game you play changes the outcome of that universe. So when you're playing Ultra Sun and Moon, you're neglecting the others and letting them fall into chaos.

This might be a lame reason but I have a feeling they made 3D models for the OG Archie and Maxie to be used in the remakes, before they redesigned them. Not wanting them to go to waste, the probably recycled them into the USUM RR stuff.

I have no logical basis for this, I just think it's a plausible situation, given that we know they just like to reuse assets if they can (looking at you, Wally).

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom