• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why weren't Hilber and Hilda made to appear in Black and White 2

JapaneseVersionFan22

Reaction score
Hilbert could have been the champion in Black 2 and Hilda in White 2 with parties dependin on the version. There were even plans to make them appear in the world tournament. Why weren't they made to appear?

Hilbert is the male protagonist and they always replace them with Satoshi.
Hilda is replaced with Iris because they wanted to create a group dynamics similar to OS by turning gym leaders into side characters.

Probably because Game Freak have been afraid of doing anything canon with player characters after Red. They probably realize that another silent character would be repetitive and they just don't want to give them personalities.

And before anyone says it, the opposite-gender character (who barely existed in BW) is obviously not the same as the protagonist that becomes the Champion and saves the day.

They could have still kept generic dialogs. Their beta scripts are generic enough.
Hilbert/Hilda Beta Dialogs said:
  • Before battle (first round)
"Everything can be understood through Pokémon battles! Let's go!"
  • Before battle (second round)
"Words are the source of all misunderstanding! Everything can be understood through Pokémon battles! Let's go!"
  • Before battle (final round)
"You communicate with Pokémon using feelings, not words! Everything can be understood through Pokémon battles! Let's go!"
  • When defeated
"Thank you!"
  • If the player is defeated
"I just lucked into winning... Isn't that how it felt?"
  • After being defeated
"Hilbert/Hilda: Make your dreams come true! Someone once encouraged me to do that. Even now, I'm continuing my journey to realize those dreams."
  • After winning
"Hilbert/Hilda: I'll leave you with words someone told me once. Dream your dream!"

I really wonder why they decided to scrap them…

They could have still kept generic dialogs. Their beta scripts are generic enough.

I really wonder why they decided to scrap them…
Huh. Still would have taken it over no appearance. This even gives a sort o impression of them. From all those expression makes they seem INCREDIBLY gung ho. That's different enough from silent stoic Red.

Making them the Champion would be kind of Awkward, as one imagines that their team would be (able to be) drawn from the Memory Link, and then what happens if you deliberately give them a team consisting of a single Magikarp?

It seems they were intended to show up at the PWT, but this was ultimately scrapped for whatever reason - frankly, I don't really mind. That feels like it'd be underutilizing them, and to me, I'd rather they keep them off-screen and ambiguous and use N instead, rather than waste them on a boring role as a generic-sounding PWT participant.

Ugh at that robotic dialogue.

Would be rather funny if that did happen. Imagine if the League tried to get Hilda/Hibert in as champions after Alder's retirement, but coudn't find them so they had to make robotic duplicates...and then promptly fail to make them feel like human characters. The jokes write themselves.

This is a question I ask myself everyday tbh. Hopefully B/W remakes will rectify this.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom