• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Wi-Fi Wpa keys

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAS

The Awesome Sauce Guy
Reaction score
My brother changed our internet connection so it has a WPA key instead of a WEP key, and I wondered if it was possible to use it in the WEP key place, and if not will I be able to use Wi-Fi at all (i also need to get my pokemon from the Gts).

This is at the wrong place, ask a mod to move it

No, the Nintendo Wi-Fi system only works on WEP. You can change it back, though, I believe.

*moving thread to place where you'll get a better response*

I don't know if the WEP key will work with WPA but being able to use WPA is dependant on your system:
If you have a DS Phat/Lite, only WEP will work, whereas only the DSi or DSiXL will work with WPA security.

you can still continue to enjoy using your ds for wifi-stuff.

a.) Have your brother set up a WEP-based shared internet connection from your computer.
b.) Get a Nintendo Wifi USB Dongle

The first one will essentially enable your computer to broadcast a WEP-based connection that can be turned off/on when you decide to use the DS's wifi.

Unless your brother desperaterly needs the network to be WPA for whatever reason, you'd have have to change it back to WEP which can be done as easily as it was to change to WPA.
You can still keep the network secure if you're using WEP, however you can only use a key with digits as opposed to letters, which I believe has to be 10 characters long.
Just follow the instructions that came with the manufacturer of your router, it's real easy to do.
You'll know if you changed it successfully when you search for a WiFi network on your DS it should show a red padlock beside the network name.
If the padlock is gray, unfortunately it's WPA protected and DS doesn't work with that.

DSi works with WEP, WPA, and WPA2. However, DS games (even on a DSi) only work with WEP. As far as I know, you can use Wi-fi on a DS game on a DSi as long as you have WEP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom