• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Wii successor to be shown at E3: Nintendo to unveil next home console in June

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder why they chose to do it this now, but the wii is kinda outdated when it comes to graphics.

And wasn't the Wii released the same time as the PS3 and the xBox360.
Wasn't the 360 released a year or two before the Wii/PS3?

Wasn't the 360 released a year or two before the Wii/PS3?

It was released in the end of 05 to make up for the fact that Xbox 1 production ended suddenly due to the fact a contract with Nvidia expired.

When I first read the article, I was thinking, what else can they do? Then I thought.......... 3-D! It's the only answer! This must be the FIRST 3-D GAMING SYSTEM! Look at all the 3-D TVs out there. And need I mention all the 3-D movies? 3-D IS THE NEXT GENERATION OF TECHNOLOGY!!!

It feels weird that the Wii's lifespan is already drawing to a close. However, I think that similar to the PS2, the Wii has been pretty popular, which means they will put out Wii games for a few years even when Wii2 has been released.

I'm impressed. A better model, successor to the Wii? I must say, maybe we'll get longer-lasting games with amazing graphics, and more!

I'm not gonna waste my money on an upgraded version of the Wii.

I don't have a Wii.

However, I'm excited nonetheless. New tech is always awesome. Supposed to be called Project Cafe or Stream? Just some code names popping around.

Honestly, I don't think the controller looks all that comfortable to me, but I'm biased towards 3 generations of the Playstation controller XD. The screen doesn't look like it will see much use, is it a Touch Screen? because my eyes won't be glued at that screen while I'm playing. If they want me to play the game on that little screen, they can forget it, because I bought a huge TV (LED, 3D, OLED, AMOLED?! etc..) and a HOME CONSOLE for a reason. Otherwise, I'd much rather spend my cash on a 3DS or Sony's new NGP project.

I'm also happy that Sony is not starting till 2014, that gives my PS3 a few more years. That is, if they stop producing for it, which I don't think they will; I'm looking at the PS2 as an example. Besides, from a business standpoint, seems kinda smart to me. Wait till you see what the opponent has first before modifying and releasing your own.

When I first read the article, I was thinking, what else can they do? Then I thought.......... 3-D! It's the only answer! This must be the FIRST 3-D GAMING SYSTEM! Look at all the 3-D TVs out there. And need I mention all the 3-D movies? 3-D IS THE NEXT GENERATION OF TECHNOLOGY!!!
Satoru Iwata has already said this system will not be 3D. His main reason was that 3D TVs aren't that widespread yet.

No one's jumping to conclusion. It doesn't hurt to link to speculation or potentially real images/specifications.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm not a fan of the supposed new controller. A screen on the controller itself seems... redundant. Besides, if I wanted a screen on the controller, I'd pick up a DS (which pretty much almost everyone has).

I don't know... A screen on the controller may look strange at first, but I kinda see good in it. IE You know how you've got alternate dimensions and what not on different Nintendo games? Well, the controller's screen can be used as one dimension while the television screen can be used as the other, in a gimmickey way to play twice at once in some sort of tricky battle. XD

No one's jumping to conclusion. It doesn't hurt to link to speculation or potentially real images/specifications.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm not a fan of the supposed new controller. A screen on the controller itself seems... redundant. Besides, if I wanted a screen on the controller, I'd pick up a DS (which pretty much almost everyone has).

There is also a mockup going around on 4chan that kinda looks like a shopped MS software case.

http://kotaku.com/#!5795286/is-this-a-wii-2-project-cafe-prototype-or-yet-another-photoshop

First of all, I question why IGN has the exclusive look at info that is supposedly top secret. We've had stranger things happen before. Also, remember the Dreamcast? That's what this reminds me of. That is, if you hybridized the VMU with a DS, this controller would result. It would seem rather odd for them to abandon motion controls so soon, but I could also see why: it's it's evidently more restrictive than they thought, or at least really situational. There's only so many ways it can be made intuitive. Regular controllers are just more versatile. Boasting of more power than current gen systems seem frivolous given that that's the idea of a new generation, to improve on the previous. (or at least change your marketing strategy) I'm still more curious as to whether Sony or Microsoft can stand against a next generation console, regardless of what it's capabilities are. Then again, it could blow chunks and the others will just scoff at it and boast of their consoles' power. (In other words, same old same old)

First of all, I question why IGN has the exclusive look at info that is supposedly top secret. We've had stranger things happen before. Also, remember the Dreamcast? That's what this reminds me of. That is, if you hybridized the VMU with a DS, this controller would result. It would seem rather odd for them to abandon motion controls so soon, but I could also see why: it's it's evidently more restrictive than they thought, or at least really situational. There's only so many ways it can be made intuitive. Regular controllers are just more versatile. Boasting of more power than current gen systems seem frivolous given that that's the idea of a new generation, to improve on the previous. (or at least change your marketing strategy) I'm still more curious as to whether Sony or Microsoft can stand against a next generation console, regardless of what it's capabilities are. Then again, it could blow chunks and the others will just scoff at it and boast of their consoles' power. (In other words, same old same old)

They are dumping motion controls for the new controller, but you can probably use the Wiimotes on the new console for Wii games and motion games. As for Sony and MS, they are probably working on their new consoles.

im honestly not believing that thing is real yet. I'll wait to I see it at E3 before forming an opinion

I think Nintendo had a file posted on their JP site confirming there will be a new console at E3, and that was it. Their shareholders want a new console to sell well, as 3ds sales haven't been that good.

I'm not gonna waste my money on an upgraded version of the Wii.
The new console is not a jump within family (i.e DS to DSlite) it's a jump to the next generation (i.e Gamecube to Wii).

That's what I was waiting for. So I better save my money for the next console instead of buying a Wii now.

Wow, this looks cool! Can't wait for it to come out!

But will it have any new features besides HD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom