• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Wii successor to be shown at E3: Nintendo to unveil next home console in June

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm gonna say what most of us are thinking: the hardware looks a bit stupid, but it sure as hell makes the games extremely enjoyable~♪

I kind of think there should be a forum-wide competition to guess the price of the Wii U. Considering the price of the 3DS I can only wonder how much this will cost.

I kind of think there should be a forum-wide competition to guess the price of the Wii U. Considering the price of the 3DS I can only wonder how much this will cost.

My guess is going to be $349-$399. I think it'll be on the lower end personally, but I doubt that it'll be that much more expensive than the Xbox 360 launch. They'll try all they can to avoid getting too much expensive, or they risk losing people like Sony did at the PS3 launch.

Isn't this just an ADD-On for the Wii? I hope so, because my mom can't afford to spend 400 dollars on a new system.

As awesome as the screen is, that controller looks very hefty and awkward to me. :/

Isn't this just an ADD-On for the Wii? I hope so, because my mom can't afford to spend 400 dollars on a new system.
Nope, The Wii U is an entirely new console. Although, you aren't the first one to make that assumption; due to the console itself not being seen except in press images, and the fact that the console does look a lot like its predecessor.

Wii_U_console.jpg

Also, it's due to be out between April 2012 and December 2012.

If it was an add-on to the Wii, I'd have imagined it to be incredibly expensive. At least the controller would probably be relatively cheaper since it's not the one processing the game.
My guess is going to be $349-$399. I think it'll be on the lower end personally, but I doubt that it'll be that much more expensive than the Xbox 360 launch. They'll try all they can to avoid getting too much expensive, or they risk losing people like Sony did at the PS3 launch.
Controller aside, the only thing the WiiU seems to have over the Wii is HD graphics.

Probably. I don't think they could have made the Wii U controller compatible with the Wii in the ways that they intended.

The Wii's hardware was seriously out of date. They got a lot of mileage out of the system for their time, but it really is starting to show it's age.

The Wii's hardware was seriously out of date. They got a lot of mileage out of the system for their time, but it really is starting to show it's age.

It already was when it was released, but once the others were pushed, the Wii fell behind, and not just in resolution:

[video=youtube;HSaqvXFGub0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSaqvXFGub0[/video]

The Wii failed at many effects, as you can see.

As awesome as the screen is, that controller looks very hefty and awkward to me. :/

Actually, by all accounts that I've seen, it's really light and much easier to handle than it looks.

We'll most likely see a slimmed down version of that controller thing in like 2 years after Wii U's launch.

Er..I'm not too thrilled about this. But whatever. Just wished it'd come out near Christmas next year since that's when I have money to buy it and don't have to ask my parents. >.<

By the looks of it, that's a LoZ game on the controller touch screen. Could it be Skyward Sword, or was that confirmed to be Wii (original) exclusive?

I believe that they showed two different Zeldas - one was Skyward Sword the other was an early tech demo for the WiiU similar to the Wind Waker/Twilight Princess Zelda tech demo showed at the unveiling of the GameCube (it had the graphics of TP but was later turned into WW).

It already was when it was released, but once the others were pushed, the Wii fell behind, and not just in resolution:

[video=youtube;HSaqvXFGub0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSaqvXFGub0[/video]

The Wii failed at many effects, as you can see.

Just because the graphics are not that great doesn't mean it isn't good however. I think some games looked amazing on Wii, especially games made by Nintendo.

By the looks of it, that's a LoZ game on the controller touch screen. Could it be Skyward Sword, or was that confirmed to be Wii (original) exclusive?
As Zeta said, while Nintendo shown off the upcoming Skyward Sword, the Wii U thing was merely a tech demo.

Just because the graphics are not that great doesn't mean it isn't good however. I think some games looked amazing on Wii, especially games made by Nintendo.

Depends on how you do it. This was a PS2 game, for instance:

[video=youtube;fCbFfxfVjKw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCbFfxfVjKw[/video]

It's easier to make a simple platformer on a limited GPU then a FPS game with complex textures with shaders and lighting effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom