• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Wild Pokemon Evolutions

The Fool on the Hill

A Rambling, Gaming Dude
Reaction score
I'm terribly sorry if this has been discussed before (I'm new here), but I had a question about Pokemon evolutions.

I understand how level-based evolutions take place in the wild-- the Pokempn simply battles, hunts, defends itself, etc. until it evolves.

Other forms of evolution make sense, too. Happiness, knowing a certain move, being in a certain area-- all of those conditions could theoretically be met in the wild.

But what about more complex evolutions? Trade evolutions, for example. How does a wild Kadabra evolve? Can it evolve? The games would suggest that it cannot, since it would never be traded, of course. Even more difficult to explain would be trade evolutions while holding a specific item, like a Metal Coat for example.

So, what are your thoughts on this? Please discuss.

(Again, I'm very sorry if this topic has already been brought up).

Well, in the games you never really encounter these Pokémon in the wild, so perhaps they don't evolve.

there are wild Steelxs. They culd be like in the Anime when Misty's Polywhirl evolved. She didn't need o trade it, it just wore the kings rock and evolved.

Last edited:
I've met wild Kadabras before. That's one of 'em conundrums of philosophy, I would say. Perhaps the poke swallows or finds a trade item in the wild. Perhaps some "wild" pokemon are actually escaped pokemon who once had trainers.

I've met wild Kadabras before. That's one of 'em conundrums of philosophy, I would say. Perhaps the poke swallows or finds a trade item in the wild. Perhaps some "wild" pokemon are actually escaped pokemon who once had trainers.

Wild Kadabras, of course, but the traded evolved Pokémon is Alakazam, which I've never seen in the wild.
Tha only wild Pokémon seen are the Steelix in Iron Cave and Clefables in the Unknown Dungeon; the Steelix live in a cave-mine, so it is probable that they found Metal Coats themselves and maybe theye volved because they held it for too long, or just could be a program error, as thety are absent in Platinum.
The Clefable thing is more comprehensive, as the Cerulean Cave is very near to Mt. Moon, so there could be moon stones scattered through the cave which make the Clefairies evolve.

Perhaps it has something to do with age?

Age isn't a game mechainic, but it would make sense if some Pokémon evolve when they reach a certain age.

I'd say the evolution through trade is just for game puropses as I can't see anime trainers trading pokemon to evolve them. Pokemon do battle in wild or do things that make them stronger, but its rarly seen in anime, its games when you have to make pokemon stronger to evolve them most of the time. Pokemon could do other things to make them strong enough to evolve

First of all, why/how do Pókémon evolve by trading? What happens in the trading process that makes a creature evolve? If we can find that out, we will be able to know how can that happen in the wild. Here's when Elm, the evolution professor, should make his next research about.

I would suggest that any pokemon who evolves by trade item or evolution stone and is found in the wild used to have a trainer, and was abandoned or set free by that person.

I don't think they evolve in the wild, unless say a wild Vulpix stumbled upon a Fire Stone that a trainer had dropped in the path, or came upon one in a tunnel or something.

If you look at anime canon, it seems that level isn't very precise. Pokemon don't always evolve at what logic would state as the level-up time. Pokemon evolve by necessity. Numerous times during a hard battle. Possible in a wild pokemon clan of sorts, the strongest, most experienced pokemon - the leaders, would be the highest level/evolution stage pokemon. Maybe if a leading pokemon died (or was captured), the next highest or really any moderately strong member would evolve to replace him, especially if the threat that killed him is still around.

As far as alternate evolution methods go, aside from stones, has there been actual mention of them in the anime? Stones would make sense because stones have been seen in the anime and games in the wild, especially in caves (such as the Mount moon Episode). I mean, training does exist, but does it actually cause evolution in some species?

I would suggest that any pokemon who evolves by trade item or evolution stone and is found in the wild used to have a trainer, and was abandoned or set free by that person.

That makes sense, but it also brings in the question, 'where do released pokémon go?' I don't know of anyone who's seen a pokémon they released in the wild, but that could be a new game mechanic in Gen. V, when you link battle, trade, etc. with someone, it randomly chooses pokémon you and (s)he released and sends them through the games, so you can catch not only your own, released pokémon, but other people's too.
[Sorry if thats off-topic]

I don't think they evolve in the wild, unless say a wild Vulpix stumbled upon a Fire Stone that a trainer had dropped in the path, or came upon one in a tunnel or something.

Well, in the movie with Celebi in it (Pokemon 4Ever), there was quite a few evolved pokemon in the forest, nidoking and nidoqueen, rhydon, usering, Parasect, Venomoth, Butterfree etc...

I read a theory that there's some sort of radiation exposure involved in trading that doesn't happen anywhere else, and that's why they think Pokémon evolve through trades. Which makes sense, but it's not been confirmed. I think it's safe to say that trade-evo Pokémon can be considered, if not man-made, then man-evolved. Except in the anime, there's probably some wild Alakazam somewhere there, but the anime is less liberal on laws of evolution, like when Exeggcute evolved to Exeggcutor without any Leaf Stone present. Also, it may be possible that wild Alakazam etc are released Pokémon.

The LeafGreen Pokédex entry states that after 100 years Onix's skin becomes diamond-like, which could reference to its evolution. I'm sure that in reality age would be a factor in evolution, and Onix and Steelix are supposed to live a lot longer than we are.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom