• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Wild Pokémon Training.

Owain

My Sword Hand Twitches!
Reaction score
Something that had always made me wonder, is how wild Pokémon level up, as far as we know, Pokémon do it by battling eachother, but is that the only way? no-ope, I highly doubt the Day-Care forces your pokémon to fight others, aside from Pokéspe. So, I'd like to know if they also gain experience by learning to live in the wilderness, and why are pokémon from an area more powerful than another area, what makes them differet, how do they learn their combat techniques? I apologize if a similar thread was made, I couldn't find it.

This is an interesting topic.I believe that while they do gain experience from battling, they also gain experience and level up through training other stats as well, for example if one Ratatta were faster than another, this Ratatta could be considered superior.If a wild Meditite were to practice it's psychic abilities while Kadabra did not, Meditite could soon become more powerful.As for why Pokemon are stronger in certain areas than others, could rely on a number of variables such as, in the safari zone where trainers are allowed to capture a certain amount of Pokemon,these Pokemon will stay in the wild longer,train longer, and thus be higher level,also one area may have more fertile soil, making stronger Grass and Rock types, all other Pokemon will be weaker compared to said types, the "weaker" Pokemon will then have to become stronger in order to live and thrive in an area.

However this is simply my theory and I am anxious to see everybody's opinions

actually, i think this thread belongs in the video games section.

Depends on whether the OP was referring to in game or in the general world.

To answer the question, Pokemon "train" through general survival. Pokemon who don't train generally don't survive.

Of course, it's more complicated then that. Competition for food, territory and mates while trying not to be someone else's food.
Those Pokemon living in dangerous areas tend to have greater pressures on them while Pokemon in Less dangerous areas have fewer such pressures.
Wild Pokemon don't often have the kind of pressures that a Trained Pokemon would have to advance in their skills.
This is why you don't often find Pokemon of vastly differing levels in the same area as well as the reason you don't find Highly evolved Wild Pokemon either.

This is why you find lower level Pokemon in some areas then you do others. Less such Pressures so Pokemon aren't forced to "Train."

Last edited:
I think that the Daycare people neutered and cared for them a lot in the right way to make them gain levels? and thus making them more powerful.

Honestly, I got no idea.

Hehe, did you mean nurtured? I don't think the Day Care couple neuter Pokemon, not the amount of eggs they have ;)

I think pokémon in the Day Care Center undergo some sort of light training (more like exercise, really) while they're there, like treadmills or other machines. That would explain why they level-up, and also why they level-up so slowly.

I always figured that the disparity in levels between different areas in the game was mostly just a case of Gameplay and Story Segregation, which would explain things like how the Pokemon in BW's Pinwheel Forest are lower level than BW2's Pinwheel Forest.

You don't necessarily have to train the pokemons to level them up. Every time a pokemon travels to Dream World and does some stuff there, it gains experience points, and they occasionally level up upon waking.

Then there's the less common feature of eating rare candies... but the question is Shuckle just don't live anywhere.

As for the Day Care... I guess they'd take pokemon for walks? There's the PokeWalker feature after all?

Hmm, I never considered this from the Day Care angle, but I don't think battle is the only way to gain experience. One can practice their moves on other things. Perhaps it can even be attained from some kind of exercise. To say that the Day Care people know nothing about training, however, I find to be incorrect. It's possible they have other means to find suitable opponents for pokes to fight. Then again, the process as it is presented in the games seems really inconsistent. Under certain circumstances, they may even be able to train up a poke faster than you, regardless of what method you're using and what level the poke is at. The game doesn't present breeders or people in this sort of field to be that skilled at pokemon, and neither does the anime. (although they ARE really knowledgeable on pokemon and could possibly possess a lot of skill, but not this much) This is why I'm hesitant on calling this matter, since it is little more than a function of the game. I am more leaning towards the other means of gaining experience I originally mentioned, though.

To properly understand how Pokemon actually "Level,"
you first have to completely cast aside the entire preconceived notion of Pokemon "Levels" to begin with.
They are a Game-only concept and completely meaningless in application to "real" Pokemon.

Training and Experience is exactly that. It's not measured by arbitrary "levels."
Pokemon gain Experience in numerous ways and their Strengths are honed through Training, Practice and their innate Potential.

The games cannot work in such a way, because we have to get strong Pokes somehow.
If Pokemon were real, all Pokemon should have been able to appear in all regions and levels, provided the climate is good. And, ofc, they won't train themselves to become stronger! It's happening for their survival!

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom