• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Wild Starters in Our Future?

maybe. not any time soon though. The structure of the series would have to go through some drastic changes for this to happen. However, when they get around to generation 10 with it's gen. 8 remakes and 24 starters from other regions I could see this happening, but only in special event locations.

It would be pretty cool to see wild starters, wouldn't it? I don't think it'll happen, though :<

I don't think it'll happen. Starters have always sort of been a kind of sacred ground; they exist for one purpose and one purpose only, and making them wild defeats that purpose.

You can't really say it won't happen just because it hasn't happened in all these generations. I never thought I'd see baby pokemon in the wild but Gen 4 was full of them. I was looking at some of the pokemon you can catch in the new games and there are quite a few things that need items to evolve just hanging out in the wild. Technically that started with steelix but that was only one and that could be explained by something happening naturally (as I'm pretty sure the pokedex actually says something about that happening over time). The stone evolutions (such as ninetales and starmie) may be able to get away with that because maybe they just came in contact with a stone. But how do you explain wild politoed if the king's rock doesn't simply change them on its own (outside the anime)?

BW doesn't even come out here for another day. I'll stick to the generation that has barely started before I start thinking about future games.

While wild starters would be awesome, I just can't see it happen! We all know that starters have to come from somewhere, but I doubt that we will ACTUALLY get to see that place. Even if there is a "Bulbasaur's Mysterious Garden" somewhere, they may tease us and only let us see the overworld sprites and not let us catch the actual Pokemon. (Which would completely ruin the point, but they're just mean like that.)

It's entirely possible that, by the time of the 1st-Gen games, most starters, at least in the main series games, were bred in captivity. Also, wild Pokémon have appeared in the wild in Fiore, Almia, and Oblivia, and the Ranger games do exist within the same canon as the main series games, as shown by the fact that the Manaphy Egg is sent to you in DPPtHGSS by the Ranger Union, as are the Aura Sphere Riolu, the Shadows of Almia Darkrai, and that in one of the games, Groudon and Kyogre appear, and seem to be injred from their battle in Emerald.

Wild starters are possible, but most likely only on a side game or an event that is probably exclusive to few places in a tiny timespan.

Maybe, with an event, they'll open up an island or something that has roaming starters. I don't see that happening though.

It's entirely possible that, by the time of the 1st-Gen games, most starters, at least in the main series games, were bred in captivity.

I reckon that’s a worthy explanation. Starter pokemon will have existed in the wild at one point, but those populations have long since died out and the only way to obtain one is directly from a breeder. They may have become domesticated over numerous generations, and thus ill adapted to take care of themselves in the wild (yeah, think before releasing all those breeding experiments you did :D). They are thus comparable to “pets,” and maybe that’s why they are chosen as starter pokemon – because they make good starters!

To my recollection (i.e., correct me if I’m wrong), none of the video games have ever contradicted this.

It’s a possibility that they’ll be available in the wild at some point – with each new game that comes out, it gets harder to make the set attainable. But I don’t think I’d like to see it happen, as it would take away their exclusivity.

Making them wild doesn't make any sense! Then they wouldnt be starters! They are great Pokemon with great strenght, and probably the leader of every team! I love them in my team!
Maybe a post-main-plot possible capture!

I'd love wild starters. D8 It's such a hassle to have your friend trade theirs or breed one for you. Not to mention how rare it is to find a good deal on the GTS.

Wild Starters, would be godsend. I mean seriously, they have to come from somewhere! And for those who claim wild starters will "lessen their value" (I really hate that argument!), it could always somehow be just an event-only area where you can catch starters.

Wild starters could for example be version-exclusive and found in only one area and have like a 1% encounter rate or found in shaking spots.

Maybe they could make their final stages encountered as one limited roaming Pokemon.

I think that they ought to have wild starters, but I don't think that Game Freak'll do it... it's one of the biggest traditions in pokemon to not have wild starters.

Personally, I like to think that the starters are actually the creations of regional professors, made specifically to give to new trainers. As such, I don't want to see them in the wild. That would kill my theory.

It would make a lot of sense. Unfortunately, I don't think they would ever do that. I think, whenever they end the generations, they need to make a massive game somehow where you can catch every Pokemon, starters and legendaries alike, without the need for trading with friends or events.

The starters HAVE to come from somewhere... so maybe we could have version exclusives? Like, Hoenn starters vs Sinnoh Starters or something? And make the appear rate, catch rate really really low.

They should be able to be found in the wild, but they should be very difficult to find. Not Feebas-hard, but still hard.

To everyone who claims the starters have to come from somewhere and that they must be wild somewhere, you are correct, the Ranger regions (Fiore, Almia and Oblivia) all have harboured wild starters so far.

I think originally they are from the wild but they are so rare that they arent really found there anymore and Pokemon breeders hatch them to give to the professors fornew trainers. I dont really think we'll be seeing them in the wil anytime soon. They are meant to be kind of exclusive.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom