• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Will Alexa Return?

novalysis

Reaction score
One of the characters that has caught my interest most of all, so far has been Alexa. I find her characterization very engaging and entertaining, a well developed combination of ditziness, maturity, passion and competence that occasionally comes to the fore. Her presence was what made me look forward to the episodes in the second half of Da!, after Journalist from another Region. And so far, her return in Episode 5 has been nothing short but a pleasure to watch - to me, it seems as if she's written not to be a Single Arc character, but a character who is likely going to recur again and again. And she fitted into the group dynamics in the second half of Da! quite well.

There is a very interesting dimension to the X and Y Season. In all previous seasons that I can recall (please do call me out if I get it wrong, since I've been popping in and out of the anime for many years), Ash always has an older travelling companion, be it Brock, Tracey or Cilan. In X and Y on the other hand, everyone of his companions, save for Bonnie is around the same age as him. There is no companion that takes the position of the older figure. And this changes the dynamics of the group significantly . Another thing that makes X and Y unique is the Gender balance. Again, I do not recall a season where males are not a majority among Ash's travelling companions (and no, episodes where, for recent example, Dawn, Cynthia and Iris all feature don't count).

This leads me to wonder about the role of Alexa in the X and Y Anime. Would Alexa disappear after the 6th episode, would she be a recurring character that pops out once every 10 -20 episodes or so, for 1 or 2 episodes at a time? Or perhaps, her role in X and Y might actually be major - there may be entire arcs where she ends up travelling with Ash and company, for a dozen episodes at a time.

More unlikely of course, the writers might abandon their experimentation in putting Ash in a dynamic without a "Cilan" or "Brock" older figure, or splitting their roles between Bonnie and Clermont. Now, don't get me wrong. I think they are doing a fairly good job so far in experimenting without the older "mentor" figure. But still, if the writers decide that the group dynamics needs an extra mentor figure within the group, Alexa is probably the best situated and set up to take on that role, and her gags at least adds another, fresher dimension of variety into the group. Which makes me wonder, whether the scriptwriters wrote in Alexa, not just as a trigger to make the transition to X and Y smoother, but also as insurance, in case their experiment without the "older" figure in the group fails. Another interpretation, was that Alexa was an experiment in writing group dynamics in the Pokemon anime with the gender balance equal.

There are possible counter arguments against Alexa eventually joining the Ash's travelling partners in Kalos. For one, her duties as a Pokemon Journalist might make tying her to Ash's journey unfeasible. For another, it takes the dynamics into yet another Terra Incognita, with three females and only two males in the group. It also takes the group up to five , which may prove problematic for writing, since with five members, someone is likely going to get shafted eventually. The last counter-argument I can think of is that Alexa is probably older than Brock, and therefore, a little too old to be travelling around with Ash's group, due to the target audience.

So, what do you think? Do you think Alexa is going to be an experiment that is discarded by the writers after episode 6? Or would she play a larger role, appearing again and again in the X and Y anime? Or would the writers eventually decide that they are better off putting an older figure into the group?

Personally, I am for more Alexa, and I consider the scenario where Alexa would eventually travel with the group, a few dozen episodes from now, the best case scenario. Should this happen though, her presence would probably result in many firsts. And there's always the risk that the more she get's exposed, the higher the chances the writers would butcher her character in the end, and turn her into a flanderized parody of her earlier character.

Last edited:
I can see her being a recurring character similar to how Bianca was the unofficial fourth member of the group for a while in BW while otherwise being on her own journey. The Pokemon Journalism thing gives a good reason for her to be there for big events - and parts of Da! showed her just disappearing for an episode because she wasn't needed for the plot there.

I certainly like her character and would hope to see more of it - Ash being the most experienced trainer of the group certainly creates a role for her as a mentor for Ash as he goes through the region, like how she is helping Ash train in the current episodes.

I think so.

Alexa has been somewhat more interesting to me in the Viola episode, might be because of her sibling relationship with Viola and also because of her helping Ash train. It's just so weird that Alexa is helping Ash defeat her own sister. Then again, Alexa is the only one who possesses the Pokémon capable of helping Ash train. But yeah, I do see her appearing more often in the future.

Of course she will. She is created to be a recurring/supporting character. She has already helped Ash to train, advertised the X and Y games and anime and made Ash come to Kalos. And then she would only disappear? That would just be stupid.

I actually raised this question after seeing this claim in the Episode 5 thread:

This maybe the last time Ash crosses paths with Alexa

Now, while it seems that this isn't very likely, given how much characterization has been given to Alexa, it made me wonder, how big a role Alexa would ultimately play in Pokemon X and Y. I'd imagine it's ultimately dependent on how the Japanese audience receives her, but as to that, I am completely in the dark.

So far, it seems there's a general agreement that Alexa would be a recurring character. I wonder whether we'd get to see another long sequence of episodes where Alexa travels with the group later on in X and Y, much like her 10 consecutive episode presence at the end of Da! For a plot device to bring Ash to Kalos, there seems to be an unusual amount of effort and attempted depth to her characterization.

Ultimately, I think the writers developed Alexa as insurance, in case the writers decide that the group needs a significantly older member in it, at some point in the next few years. That question is likely tied to how well their experimentation of having no older members in Ash's travelling group fares, both in terms of ease of writing, as well as audience reception.

She'd had oh so much screentime already it's hard NOT to think she'll show up more later.

I haven't watched Da!, but I like her in XY. Can't see her being a permanent member of the team but I hope she's a recurring character.

Hopefully, she's been less bland and more entertaining in XY thus far at least. I imagine they might have something more done with her Helioptile, I want to at least learn how she obtained Noivern as well.

She'll probably will make one or a few reoccurring appearances for things involving Helioptile and Noivern (like a bat cave or something). I'd like to see her be a spectator for each of his Gym Battles and the League. It would be great if in reoccurring appearances if we got the history of her Helioptile and Noivern, since we already got her past with Gogoat previously.

Well, her office is in Lumiose City, and considering she works there I see no reason why she wouldn't reappear, especially for the Ash vs. Clemont battle.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom