• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

will all this leaking screw us over

Uh, guys,

https://twitter.com/TamashiiHiroka/status/385187314407723008

Anyone heard anything about that?

(Note to mods: I know this should ~technically~ be in the rumors thread, but I wanted to avoid spoilers of the leaks, so is it ok if I post this here? Thanks!)

Who the Hell is Tamashii Hiroka? Until we hear anything from the horses mouth, treat anything but as false.
A rather well-known YouTuber who does a lot of Pokemon vids. I honestly can't say how big a figure she is in the fandom however, so I'm with you. I'd pretty much think that Masuda himself would say whether or not he was disappointed with this but that's just me.

As for the stores breaking the street date:

It happens. I work for Walmart and someone dropped a pallet of the last Left Behind book about two days early. I myself had to yank Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen toys off the pegs because they were put out before the street date. Human error happens.

Now the main difference between a smaller mom and pop store and a national chain is this--in a large chain store, the registers themselves can be set to lock out the sale of an item before its intended release date. How do I know this? I had someone try and buy the Left Behind book at my register and I got a "Sale Not Allowed" warning. In other words, if GF is really concerned about this, they could delay the shipments to the smaller stores in order to circumvent the leaks from occurring. The chain stores would still get them early since they can't sell them, but the "troublemakers" are left out in the cold.

Granted, it seems unfair to the smaller chains but it is what it is.

I don't see why it matters, since stuff is usually leaked before release even when the games were released in Japan first
Lemme take a crack at this.

It matters because... now it's being leaked to Japan players?

Did I do it? What do I win?

Anyone know what the Leakers were threatened with to make them take it down?

Did Instagram simply say- Hey, quit it. We don't want a law suit with Nintendo?

Not that it matters, but Nintendo can legally do nothing besides pressure them/social media to keep it off. It is not a criminal act to buy a game early, nor is it a criminal act to talk about stuff you own online or taking pictures/videos, and the only punishment Nintendo can dish out is to the retail outlet that sold it early, not the consumer. As long as the owner isn't profiting off of his Let's Plays or whatever, they can legally do nothing.

That said, that's why sometimes you'll see LPers get hit with CADs, because they ask for donations or tips for doing LPs, usually because they're LPing newer games for money. Those that stick with older games are far less likely to get hit with CAD

Not that it matters, but Nintendo can legally do nothing besides pressure them/social media to keep it off. It is not a criminal act to buy a game early, nor is it a criminal act to talk about stuff you own online or taking pictures/videos, and the only punishment Nintendo can dish out is to the retail outlet that sold it early, not the consumer. As long as the owner isn't profiting off of his Let's Plays or whatever, they can legally do nothing.

That said, that's why sometimes you'll see LPers get hit with CADs, because they ask for donations or tips for doing LPs, usually because they're LPing newer games for money. Those that stick with older games are far less likely to get hit with CAD

So what would make the leakers want to take this info off of their instagrams?

I find it hard to believe one harmless, nonthreatening email would do it.

So what would make the leakers want to take this info off of their instagrams?

I find it hard to believe one harmless, nonthreatening email would do it.

I'm sure Nintendo sent threatening CAD orders to the individuals and social media sites themselves and not everyone wants to hire a lawyer to defend a frivolous suit, or it is very possible Twitter or Instagram or whatever took it down on their own accord. Regardless of what they (Nintendo) try, it is not an illegal act to post something publicly as commentary. Even stuff like Let's Plays and crappy photo-camera pictures, they all fall under fair use since you own the rights to that specific piece of media you purchased.

I hear though that Nintendo has called those stores and ordered them to do a recall for the purchased copies.

All the stores who broke the fundamental laws of Pokémon should not be allowed to sell the next Pokémon game. What do you think?
Nah, Pokemon G7 is probably just a stack of ideas on the table at this point. The breaking stores shouldn't be allowed to get next Mario or Smash Bros. games. Y'know, highly anticipated Nintendo titles releasing in the span of months, not years.

Even stuff like Let's Plays and crappy photo-camera pictures, they all fall under fair use since you own the rights to that specific piece of media you purchased.
That's ... not technically what 'fair use' means. Fair use technically means you DON'T own the rights to what you're using, but you have a damn good reason to do it anyway. A Lets Play unambiguously contains a stream of copyrighted content (the graphics, the music, etc.) that you very likely do not have any permission from the content's owner to 'distribute' (i.e. upload to YouTube), but the part that makes an LP fair use is that said content stream is a fundamental component that the LP simply cannot exist without.

(Yeah, I'm no lawyer. But the official criteria for 'fair use' are deliberately nebulous; fair use is about intent, not technicalities.)

Hmmm...

Do the stores have contracts?

If so, could the contract be worded that the transaction is not valid until the release date, and therefore the merchandise is not the property of the store until then? That would make buying the game early be technically receiving stolen property, would it not? They wouldn't even have to enforce it or track people down, but it could be used as leverage to take down leaks.

BTW. Thanks whoever it was who posted the thing about Mega Charizard a few pages back.

I don't think that this will affect us in a negative manner. Street dates get broken for other games and I seriously doubt that leaks will make them consider not doing another worldwide release. This could affect the stores that sold the games though depending on what their contracts stated about breaking the street date. I could see them being more strict about keeping to the release date for future games though.

Uh, guys,

(Note to mods: I know this should ~technically~ be in the rumors thread, but I wanted to avoid spoilers of the leaks, so is it ok if I post this here? Thanks!)

Who the Hell is Tamashii Hiroka? Until we hear anything from the horses mouth, treat anything but as false.

Dude, Tamashi is a YouTuber and a pretty popular one in regards to her Pokemon videos. I'd trust her. You guys need to get out from under your rocks and find out more about the Pokemon community and the popular individuals within it!

I don't remember any Japanese person leaking games more than a week in advance. (has it ever happened?) I remember BW2 started to leak maybe 2 days before the Japanese release by video game store employees or people who recieved online orders early. Does anybody remember if the older games were leaked in Japan?

Uh, guys,

Dude, Tamashi is a YouTuber and a pretty popular one in regards to her Pokemon videos. I'd trust her. You guys need to get out from under your rocks and find out more about the Pokemon community and the popular individuals within it!

so popular youtubers are personal friends of junichi masuda now? why do we need to get our heads out of rocks and become familiar with the 574878395 pokemon youtube personalities?

I'm not sure if the leaks matter consider it looks like GameFreak spoiled most of this Gen's Pokemon long before anything was leaked. The 3 starters final forms seem like the only big news they didn't reveal already.

I really would not put it past masuda and gamefreak to not do world wide releases anymore. A few months ago sakurai the dricter of super smash bros. decided to not put in cutscenes in the next smash because ssbb cut scenes were put on youtube. It seems like Japanese developers are not that kind to the internet and leaks in general.

I really would not put it past masuda and gamefreak to not do world wide releases anymore. A few months ago sakurai the dricter of super smash bros. decided to not put in cutscenes in the next smash because ssbb cut scenes were put on youtube. It seems like Japanese developers are not that kind to the internet and leaks in general.

What's wrong with SSBB cut scenes on youtube?

Sakurai said putting the ssbb cut scenes on youtube "ruined the reward of playing through the game receiving the cut scenes as a reward" or some bull like that.

Sakurai said putting the ssbb cut scenes on youtube "ruined the reward of playing through the game receiving the cut scenes as a reward" or some bull like that.

You think he'd realize most people who'd watch the cut scenes on YouTube would be the people who played the game on their own in the first place.

Ideas like that just seem outdated.

The Japanese just don't really understand the internet. I've been to Japanese websites - they're barren like wastelands. Then again, considering that keyboards aren't usually made with Nipponic languages in mind, maybe that's the reason.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom