• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

will all this leaking screw us over

johnpoke

Reaction score
Canada and Italy have reportedly broken the street date.

i dont know if this is true but i'm starting to think that iff the leaking continus we may not have a world wide release for future games

what do you think

No, at this time it's just one store so I think the repercussions will be limited.

Though, I'm kinda surprised they were shipping them to retail outlets so early . . . (sorry, I don't have a comparison for what the 'proper' scheduling for a wide-scale videogame distribution should be)

Besides, I really don't see why a broken street date on a worldwide release would be such a bigger deal compared to breaking regional street dates during a staggered launch (since a staggered launch means much more stuff can be spoiled early).

Last edited:
No matter the game, with how the internet and brick/mortar stores are now, there will always be someone breaking a street date. It's just the name of the game. You don't see Rockstar pulling their releases just because GTA gets leaked early in the thousands...

All they can do is punish the offending stores and try and do better next time.

So because a couple stores sold the games early, Game Freak is no going to say "Screw it, let's just make everyone wait one year before the English release and two years before being released in the EU and Australia"....right

Do we know if Australia has broken release date? Not that I'm planning to go out to stores and see for myself, mind you >.>

Leaks still happen with staggered release dates, it just so happens that this time it was due to a Canadian store. Also, if Europe was weeks or months behind North America, as is usually the case, the leak would be even worse for the millions of players there. One of the main reasons they don't liked doing simultaneous releases is because they overcharge for games (and for DVD/BDs) in Japan, so everyone would just "reverse import" and buy from America where, thanks to the pretty weak dollar and generally lower prices, they'd save a ton of money. I buy from America despite living in the UK for the same reason; even with the postage costs, it's cheaper than buying from a shop here. As long as they can control that, I think they're happy.

Game Freak is no[t] going to say "Screw it, let's just make everyone wait one year before the English release and two years before being released in the EU and Australia"....
Fixed :) It's amazing how much difference one letter can make....

Game Freak already officially said that the idea is to have all players starting X and Y at the "same time" -- globally. So what if a few players managed to get their hands on it two weeks early (even if they spread screens/videos across the Internet), compared to the six-plus months it would take for the previous gens to get all regions playing the game?

Fixed :) It's amazing how much difference one letter can make....

The one letter difference simply corrects the grammar, making it more coherent. However, even if I had meant to type out "Game Freak is no going to say" rather than "Game Freak is not going to say" the meaning conveyed is equivalent. A single letter could make a difference, but in this case, you're simply just pointing out a harmless typo.

However, judging from the context of my entire sentence, it makes more sense to correct me by removing "no" all together given that I'm mocking the premise that a leak will result in adverse effects in future releases:

So because a couple stores sold the games early, Game Freak is going to say "Screw it, let's just make everyone wait one year before the English release and two years before being released in the EU and Australia"....right

Last edited:
So because a couple stores sold the games early, Game Freak is no going to say "Screw it, let's just make everyone wait one year before the English release and two years before being released in the EU and Australia"....right

Right. It would be silly for GF to punish everyone for the actions of a handful of people. Can you imagine the backlash if they did? No matter when or how they release anything, they need to ship the units out in advance, therefore people unassociated with GF will get their hands on them before launch day and leak things. It happens with music and it happens with video games. Always will. All we can do is decide for ourselves if we want to look at these pictures and read these leaks or if we want to hide away for these next few weeks and have the game be fresh to us.

At this point I'd have to say that they shipped the games way too early - 2 weeks away from street release. One more week of waiting would've prevented most of this.

Guys, don't most places get their shipments this early - for anything of this sort? Considering we're talking about worldwide businesses, shipping out stock two weeks early was smart. It stops shipping problems from making stores miss street date.

What I'm wondering is what happens to the leakers and the sites they post on?

Are they held responsible if they signed no contracts with GF, and just some how wound up with the game?
Do sites like Instagram block them for fear of being targeted by GF?

forgive me for posting a question i thought to be legitimate. because if it where me i would have doughts about future games. to have some leak somthing that i worked my ass off on. thats got to make them think

As these leakers did not sign an NDA and are just normal customers who benefited from a shady store, Nintendo can't really do much to them and for good reason. How is it their fault really? The only thing we could argue is if they wanted to be "nice" to Nintendo/the public they'd just keep their early buy a secret. But some of these folks do this on purpose - they have a friend who sells them the game early, etc and then reap some internet popularity while they can. Not saying Kose is doing that, but it's certainly happened before.

I'd just love for Nintendo to be like "Eh, screw it - we shipped it out everywhere already - grab it on the 5th instead everyone!" >.>

@ Johnpoke - as a game developer these days, that's a bad mentality to have. Let's ignore the early leak stuff and think about how much "work" game companies lose to piracy on the average. You can't punish the legitimate fanbase because of what a few early leaks/pirates do. You end up in bad situations with awful DRM or other kneejerk problems.

The only thing that's screwing me over now is knowing that there's still a week and a half and a few assignments to work on until the 12th.

Previous Pokemon games were leaked for almost a year before the English version came out, and that didn't screw me up.

It'll only screw things up for people who don't know how to avoid spoilers. This stuff happens all the time.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom