• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Will every Pokemon get a mega?

All the Pokemon you listed make perfect sense.

If they make sense then every pokemon in the game makes sense, I listed every "type" of pokemon strong, weak, average, popular, unpopular, no evolution, one evolution, two evoultions

That's not why any of them got mega evolutions. It's not a popularity contest. They pick the ones that make the most sense.

At best i can see them giving a mega for every fully evolved pokemon that it's a part of a three stage line because, well, they can't evolve anymore. But even then i doubt it and i can see some two stage/single stage lines getting a normal evolution rather than a mega evolution.

And are people seriously using the same argument as the one for legendaries? That there's too many of them so they are no longer special? Mega Evolution was never meant to be special in the first place. And even if they were meant to be so, you can only use one per team.

>for all the wrong reasons.

Says the user with a very suspect combination of avatar and subtitle.

Oh wow. You should probably try to clean that dirty mind if you're taking something as simple as Serena and Greninja sharing a scarf the wrong way.

Though admittedly I don't look at fanart picturing those two the same way anymore since I learned that people ship Serena with Greninja for... Reasons, I guess. It's one of those things I'll never understand why it exists.

That's going off-topic anyway.

They need to give every Pokémon a Mega now. Why introduce a brand new concept that has a lot of thought & focus if you're not gonna run with it. And it may be divisive among forums like this there's no denying the draw & appeal of Mega Pokémon. They've been very successful & it would be a foolish business decision not to keep doing it. Plus, on a smaller note, it would just suck that only a select few Pokémon get this neat trick & not everyone else.

There's nothing to the supposed patterns or reasons why a Pokémon has a Mega. The Kanto Starters & Mewtwo were the first ones showcased to reel in the nostalgia folk that haven't given Pokémon a fair chance in years while everything else has been legitimately random. It wouldn't be right to have this great new idea that let's any Pokémon become someone's potential ace for their team be limited. How many people are tired of the same old Starters, Mewtwo, Garchomp, Tyranitar & others like them? A lot. Now you can use Beedrill & make it work. Now you can use Kangaskhan & make it work.

Mega Evolution should've been something the Pokémon franchise had from the beginning. This new found power can only be accessed when a human & Pokémon have a strong enough bond. That's all the justification you need as to why these crazy-powerful & insanely dangerous creatures are willing to live side-by-side with us meek humans. It's the ultimate benefit. Plenty of Pokémon can battle on their own & survive on their own. But they won't realize their full potential unless they're with us. Their full potential is realized when Mega Evolution occurs. The desire to be the best is just the catalyst; a chance to give two completely separate species time to understand each other. What was once a business-type deal grew into respect & friendship. And that's what Pokémon has been about since day one & they've never come even close to having the "Humans & Pokémon are equal" idea make sense until Mega Evolution came into existence.

And I don't wanna troll or anything but this is the exact reason why I prefer Digimon to Pokémon. They did the whole "Humans & Digimon are equal" thing better fifteen years ago. It made sense that the ultra-strong beings needed the humans; we make them stronger. Now Pokémon finally has that & it's pretty sad to think it took this long to get right. Well, better late than never in this case.

I hope we continue to see more Mega Evolutions to the point where every single Pokémon has one. If not then it's just another good idea Pokémon completely wasted.

They need to give every Pokémon a Mega now. Why introduce a brand new concept that has a lot of thought & focus if you're not gonna run with it. And it may be divisive among forums like this there's no denying the draw & appeal of Mega Pokémon. They've been very successful & it would be a foolish business decision not to keep doing it. Plus, on a smaller note, it would just suck that only a select few Pokémon get this neat trick & not everyone else.

That's like saying that every pokemon needs an evolution. While it's clear that they will likely include new megas in the future, they're not gonna go overboard and give them to every pokemon, or eve every evolutionary line. Likewise, some pokemon didn't even get a pre-evolution or normal evolution (Skarmory, Absol, Spinda)

Mega Evolution should've been something the Pokémon franchise had from the beginning. This new found power can only be accessed when a human & Pokémon have a strong enough bond. That's all the justification you need as to why these crazy-powerful & insanely dangerous creatures are willing to live side-by-side with us meek humans. It's the ultimate benefit. Plenty of Pokémon can battle on their own & survive on their own. But they won't realize their full potential unless they're with us. Their full potential is realized when Mega Evolution occurs. The desire to be the best is just the catalyst; a chance to give two completely separate species time to understand each other. What was once a business-type deal grew into respect & friendship. And that's what Pokémon has been about since day one & they've never come even close to having the "Humans & Pokémon are equal" idea make sense until Mega Evolution came into existence.

OMG How dare GF not think of this back with the Gameboy and find a way to make it work despite the limitations of memory. How terrible/sacasm

And I don't wanna troll or anything but this is the exact reason why I prefer Digimon to Pokémon. They did the whole "Humans & Digimon are equal" thing better fifteen years ago. It made sense that the ultra-strong beings needed the humans; we make them stronger. Now Pokémon finally has that & it's pretty sad to think it took this long to get right. Well, better late than never in this case.

I believe Digimon also have a case where at every one of them had at least one digivolution, Also again, it wasn't limited to the Gameboy and its limitations

I hope we continue to see more Mega Evolutions to the point where every single Pokémon has one. If not then it's just another good idea Pokémon completely wasted.

Not every pokemon has an evolution or preevolution, do you think that mechanic is wasted?

Morningstar said:
That's like saying that every pokemon needs an evolution. While it's clear that they will likely include new megas in the future, they're not gonna go overboard and give them to every pokemon, or eve every evolutionary line. Likewise, some pokemon didn't even get a pre-evolution or normal evolution (Skarmory, Absol, Spinda)

I feel like they do. Come on, nobody can buy Snorlax, Lapras, Jynx, Scyhter & other Pokémon of that build to be hatched/born as is. They needed to have some kind of smaller for which some of them thankfully have.

OMG How dare GF not think of this back with the Gameboy and find a way to make it work despite the limitations of memory. How terrible/sacasm

Oh please. I wasn't acting like they committed a crime by not doing what I said. I just think that Pokémon is a game that had some amount of thought put into it. The fact that games are closely tied to our own real life growth as a species is a truly fascinating thing. But like I said, there was only some thought put into the ideas. We didn't even get basic things like Pokémon eggs until Gen II. While I appreciate some effort over none at all this is still a company that had money & resources to produce these games. Just get the basic structure of the world you're making coherent & understandable, which to this day Pokémon still has problems with. I'm not asking for a masterpiece from limitations. Just something that makes sense. And for about 15+ years Pokémon just didn't.

I believe Digimon also have a case where at every one of them had at least one digivolution, Also again, it wasn't limited to the Gameboy and its limitations

Digimon actually has more limitations than Pokémon has ever had. The original Digimon were V-Pets based on Tamagotchis. And they had creatures with a variety of growth patterns (aka Digivolution) based on how you took care of your Digimon. This was done in tiny, portable beeping toys, you're telling me Pokémon couldn't do at least a little better than that with an entire Game Boy?

Not every pokemon has an evolution or preevolution, do you think that mechanic is wasted?

Personally, yes. As much as I don't like when people dig deeper in fiction than needed, I feel like I'm not doing that here at all. The games make it very clear that Pokémon is all about the creatures' growth by basing it off of Darwinian (I hope I spelled that right) Evolution. Why are some Pokémon kept from this when the majority of them are made with this in mind? Why are we given a lone Tauros when we have a Ponyta Evolution Line? Why did they give us Bouffalant (hope I spelled that right too) & not even consider it to be an evolved from or at least counterpart of sorts to Tauros? The same goes for Luvdisc & Alomomola. At least a mention of relation in the Pokédex, please? Is that too much to ask from a game that has growth & relationships at the core of its being?

I feel like they do. Come on, nobody can buy Snorlax, Lapras, Jynx, Scyhter & other Pokémon of that build to be hatched/born as is. They needed to have some kind of smaller for which some of them thankfully have.

Munchlax exists. And I completely forgot to read the latter part of this sentece, whoops.

But anyway, giving Megas to every single Pokémon in every evolutionary line seems like going a bit overboard.

It's not like there'd be any reason for you to use say, Mega Ralts instead of Mega Gallade/Gardevoir anyway.

Ah, okay. I think I misinterpreted the idea. I don't think there should be Megas for every individual Pokémon, just the evolution families. Sorry if I confused some of you. ^^;

I doubt it. It will likely remain the ones that make the most sense. Plus, you don't want the land littered with hundreds of mega stones.

All the Pokemon you listed make perfect sense.

That's not why any of them got mega evolutions. It's not a popularity contest. They pick the ones that make the most sense.

You keep saying "make sense" without elaborating on how they make sense or how "making sense" equates into something objective that we can all understand. Why does Beedrill make more sense than Butterfree? Or Slowbro instead of Slowking? Or Garchomp instead of Flygon? You can't just keep repeating "make sense" without explaining how they are choosing which ones make sense or why the Pokemon makes sense to begin with.

There are between four and six classes of "Odd" when it comes to pokemon that have Mega evolutions, with the first class being distinctly not odd.

The next least odd is made up of Camerupt, Glalie, and Metagross: these all have forms available in Kalos through the Friend Safari.

The next least odd is made up of Latios, Latias, and Rayquaza. These pokemon having Mega evolutions is not especially strange to a Kalos-centric model predicting Mega evolution: these are pokemon that roam the sky the world over. Latios and Latias of course had their Mega forms programmed into XY, that being whatever it was (groundwork for ORAS, I guess).

A Kalos-only theory really has trouble accounting for 5 pokemon: three of these are the Hoenn starters (class four), and one is Lopunny (class five). Who knows, especially strong individual trainers may have had these pokemon in Kalos 3000 years ago.

Class six is uniquely held by Mewtwo. Mewtwo of course did not exist 3000 years ago, so where this ability to Mega evolve would come from is a mystery, unless it had to do with Mewtwo's specific origins. Mew at any rate existed 3000 years ago.

I in any case think every fully evolved pokemon available in XY should get a Mega evolution.

@FullMoon Snorlax doesn't have to hatch as a Munchlax though.

Last edited:

You keep saying "make sense" without elaborating on how they make sense or how "making sense" equates into something objective that we can all understand. Why does Beedrill make more sense than Butterfree? Or Slowbro instead of Slowking? Or Garchomp instead of Flygon? You can't just keep repeating "make sense" without explaining how they are choosing which ones make sense or why the Pokemon makes sense to begin with.

That and we know for a fact (by admission of Game Freak themselves) that Mega Evolution is a popularity contest. As for things like Pidgeot and Beedrill, it may have more to do with the first and second reason--to shake up the metagame or for development reasons (in this case, they just wanted to do it since those two didn't serve a story purpose).

That and we know for a fact (by admission of Game Freak themselves) that Mega Evolution is a popularity contest.
I don't know how I feel about that.

Some of my faves aren't exactly popular--Sawk, Palkia, Infernape--so the chances of them ever getting a Mega are pretty slim. However, I do like one Pokemon that has a bit of a following--Golurk*--so that may bode well for that big lug's future. (I can only hope.)

That said, I don't think every Pokemon will get a Mega, even in that cut scene we didn't see all 700+ critters at war with each other. Some just don't make sense, like Mega Jynx and others need an actual evolution to fix their freaking problems, a la Sunflora. So no, I don't think that every Pokemon will get one.

I do hold out hope for a Mega Golurk, though. Make of that as you will.

*My hubby frequents a Transformers forum and there is a thread dedicated to Pokemon. A lot of people who post in there are in fact Golurk fans, as the big guy is the closest we've really gotten to a giant robot. A lot of them are clamoring for a Mega Golurk along with me. The big lugnut has his fans so I hope we'll be seeing a Mega stone in his future.

Infernape's a starter and Palkia can become plot relevant for Gen IV remakes so I wouldn't worry....

At the very least every starter, pseudo legendary and counterpart to an existing mega capable pokemon should get it. Every box art legend should at some point get a mega or an equivalent like Primal Reversion.

At the rate GF is going it does seem to be that they'll only be adding new Megas and not evolutions... I like Megas but the fact that you can only have one per team is restricting and if GF was to get rid of that restriction then it would be just a temporary evolution...

I honestly don't know where GF is going with this Mega route. It's been nice and I love it but at the moment I'm worried if the idea will fall on itself in the future.

48 out of 380 fully evolved Pokemon can Mega Evolve (or Primal Reverse), which is 12.6%. I highly doubt all Pokemon will get one, but I certainly think there can be a few dozen more, especially to Gen 5 Pokemon.

Yeah, I would think that at the very minimum, all Starters will get Megas. It seems so odd to just leave some Pokémon out of a specific group like that.

Once the Johto starters get Mega Evolutions, I'll be content. Wouldn't care after that.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom