• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Will Goh capture Legendary Pokemon?

give him that mew alredy and make him realese it. He and Ash could go to Galar meet a girl and both battle against gym leaders and try the league

I find if Gou attempts to catch a Legendary Pokémon there would definitely be improvements to his goal (I find Gou to be a great character, the only problem is his aim to catch every single Pokémon has been lacking) he can't just toss a Pokeball at such powerful Pokémon, it's going to be a really tough battle. Plus you don't have to worry about it just being left at the Sakuragi Park as Gou has brought several of his Pokémon out there (since episode 7) and I'm certain a Legendary Pokémon won't be treated like some forgotten background character.

I do not think Gou would get a Legendary Pokémon who's existence effects the world (like Dialga, who controls time) instead something like Latias or Latios are Legendary Pokémon Gou could catch as there's multiple of them and we already got two characters owning one of each.

Last edited:
I think the most likely scenario is for Go to register Legendary Pokémon through third party means like in some of the games where you'd get the Pokédex entry for the legendary of the other version of your game by checking a book or talking to an NPC, but I seriously doubt he'll catch any because honestly not even in the games it makes that much sense for legendaries to be caught, aside from the "mean" ones.

I don’t want Go to even get a Mew, let alone some strong legendary. We’ve been shown 20 years of Mew being this elusive Pokemon whose entire point is being a free spirit, so something like that being captured by a trainer feels wrong.

Maybe he won't. I can see it going down a path where they save Mew from some villain's scheme, Goh gets to know the Pokemon and when he finally has a chance to capture it, he decides not to for some reason.

If there's any Legendary that Gou could catch, I think one of the new Galarian Bird Trio would be the best pick. They're not nearly as iconic as the original bird trio and they're a part of the Crown Tundra DLC which, by the sounds of it, is a perfect location Ash and Gou would travel to as Research Fellows.

You can't claim "not iconic" for something that hasn't even released yet or has had anime in-universe significance. For all we know, those new bird variants could be just as vital to the world/environment as the original trio.

That's a fair point. They may be related to that giant tree in the DLC.

I find if Gou attempts to catch a Legendary Pokémon there would definitely be improvements to his goal (I find Gou to be a great character, the only problem is his aim to catch every single Pokémon has been lacking)...
Yeah... In fact, I bet that Goh should catch every single Pokemon (regional forms, Legendaries, and Mythics included) before the end of Journeys, something that'll literally render his goal of "gotta catch 'em all" as fulfilled.

We’ve had entire movies about how capturing legendaries is not a good idea...
And the anime has actually acknowledged that "greed" is one of the words to describe Go (but Gurkinn, how is this greed good, can you elaborate?). I really wish they’d do a character arc teaching Go that some Pokémon are free spirits to remain in their natural habitat.

There is a reason for that though: they didn't use regular old pokéballs to catch them, just like how TR is evil because they use other methods to catch wild pokémon.
Plus, it is not because they want to "befriend" the pokémon, but instead they have a bad agenda regarding that.

I definitely can't see Goh just tossing a Pokeball at a Legendary Pokemon for a quick catch. I could maybe see him getting a small Legendary Pokemon if they have him bond with it first, but even then, I'm not sure how well it would work, mainly because main characters getting Legendary Pokemon doesn't really happen.

If they care about the "mew has genes of all pokemon" reasoning which doesn't make sense but whatever ,it isn't confirmed wether or not mew has genes of legendaries, so it would make sense for legends to not be counted, in addition to how stupid it'd be if he kept one for more than 2 seconds.

If they care about the "mew has genes of all pokemon" reasoning which doesn't make sense but whatever ,it isn't confirmed wether or not mew has genes of legendaries, so it would make sense for legends to not be counted, in addition to how stupid it'd be if he kept one for more than 2 seconds.

Mew having the genes of all Pokémon makes sense to me. If Go catches and battles every Pokémon, he’ll be prepared for any move or tactic Mew will throw at him because he will have already dealt with every possible scenario. Regardless of how Go’s captures are being handled and the lack of battling (though Go is improving on the aspect), the basis of it makes sense, imo.

Mew having the genes of all Pokémon makes sense to me. If Go catches and battles every Pokémon, he’ll be prepared for any move or tactic Mew will throw at him because he will have already dealt with every possible scenario. Regardless of how Go’s captures are being handled and the lack of battling (though Go is improving on the aspect), the basis of it makes sense, imo.

That is an interesting theory, but I don't think that the show has really indicated anything like that as to why Goh is working his way back to Mew. I'm not sure how practical it would be since he doesn't battle too often with his Pokemon, so he doesn't necessarily have to deal with a variety of moves or tactics in order to capture them. Maybe they'll try using a justification like that as he battles more often, but I don't know how well that would actually work.

That is an interesting theory, but I don't think that the show has really indicated anything like that as to why Goh is working his way back to Mew. I'm not sure how practical it would be since he doesn't battle too often with his Pokemon, so he doesn't necessarily have to deal with a variety of moves or tactics in order to capture them. Maybe they'll try using a justification like that as he battles more often, but I don't know how well that would actually work.
Well, seeing how Ash has owned a Melmetal (despite it being a Mythical Pokemon) before, I don't see Goh catching a rare Pokemon that isn't very important in how the Pokemon world functions off the table.

Well, seeing how Ash has owned a Melmetal (despite it being a Mythical Pokemon) before, I don't see Goh catching a rare Pokemon that isn't very important in how the Pokemon world functions off the table.

Honestly, I forgot that Melmetal is considered a Legendary Pokemon, but I was thinking more about how they'd have to justify Goh not relying on his Legendary Pokemon to get them out of any problem. It wouldn't be off the table for Goh to bond with a Legendary Pokemon and capture it, but I'm not sure how likely it is for them to go in that direction.

At most I’d prefer a bonding but not formal capture like Shaymin or Magearna (might be a nice arc that you can care for a Pokemon without keeping it with you forever). Or taking care of a Pokemon like Nebby.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom