• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Will Iris return in the XY saga?

Iris showing up for Drasna is probably one of the more fitting theories for her return that I have seen given how she has battled against other strong trainers with Dragon Pokemon, but it sounds more like the plot of her own special rather than the reason for her to meet up with Ash again. She wouldn't need to be with Ash and his friends in order to find Drasna. Running into his group right when she finds Drasna could happen, but it doesn't sound like something that could work for a mini arc behind her return. I'm not sure what Iris could do to really help the other characters out. Serena's story is pretty close to being over at this point and they've already laid out the foundation as to why she'll eventually leave the group. Clemont's story is also pretty much over. Bonnie does have her connection to Squishy and that might have been a way for her and Iris to bond more naturally, but like I said before, it's pretty late in the game to introduce her into the Team Flare storyline. Plus, I honestly don't see Iris mixing in that well with any of them. She just wouldn't fit in XY in my opinion.

The Fairy type argument has never really made any sense to me. Sure, the generation impacted Dragon types, but the show really doesn't make a big deal about Fairy types. They weren't introduced as a cool new type, but just Clemont mentioning it to Ash and everyone acting business as usual. More importantly, the majority of Fairy types are older Pokemon with the Fairy type added in there. She does not have to go to Kalos to fight Fairy type Pokemon, especially when they never were considered naive only to Kalos. Ash having Dragon Pokemon on his team also means pretty much nothing. They wouldn't focus much on that detail beyond just Ash showing Iris his Pokemon.

The Fairy typing imposes a potential new challenge for her as a dragon trainer, being in Kalos where the typing seems to be highly recognized and know could open up intersting approaches from her towards it. Ash having dragon Polemon can allow for some interesting interactions and teamwork between her and Ash, possibly even allowing them/her to learn something new by approaching them from different perspectives. All just little details that the anime could build upon. If they can come up with original to the anime things like Ash Greninja and the Zygarde plot, surely from what little presented details they could related to her character could they develope something.

The Fairy typing imposes a potential new challenge for her as a dragon trainer, being in Kalos where the typing seems to be highly recognized and know could open up intersting approaches from her towards it. Ash having dragon Polemon can allow for some interesting interactions and teamwork between her and Ash, possibly even allowing them/her to learn something new by approaching them from different perspectives. All just little details that the anime could build upon. If they can come up with original to the anime things like Ash Greninja and the Zygarde plot, surely from what little presented details they could related to her character could they develope something.

Aside from having a Fairy type Gym, I'm not sure how Fairy types are highly recognized in Kalos. They really don't make a huge deal about them. Plus, she doesn't need to show up in Kalos to battle Fairy type Pokemon. Most Fairy type Pokemon aren't brand new ones, so going to Kalos just for that would be extremely weak and forced. The idea of Iris learning something from some teamwork with Ash and his Dragon Pokemon sounds nice, but I think that they would just use the time for Iris to gush over his Dragon Pokemon and probably try to convince the audience that she's a super special Dragon Pokemon trainer more than anything else. If they were going to use Ash's Dragon Pokemon to connect with Iris, that probably would have happened before Noibat evolved.

They could develop something with Iris, but the chances of them using her return to actually do something good with her character are pretty slim to me at best. Sure, they came up with stuff like Ash-Greninja and the Zygarde plot, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they can put the same kind of effort into something for Iris.

The chances of Iris returning are becoming quite slim, since we're drawing close to the end with the League and Team Flare climax being very soon. Still, XY has been full of surprises so anything's possible at this point.

I'm expecting Iris to show up in a Serena special like that Dento's one back in 2013. People mentioned here OLM probably can't afford her VA for more than one episode (she's voicing Ayasato Mayoi too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), so a special'd make more sense for her to be featured? More as a throwback? I can't think of any reasons though for her to appear...

I'm expecting Iris to show up in a Serena special like that Dento's one back in 2013. People mentioned here OLM probably can't afford her VA for more than one episode (she's voicing Ayasato Mayoi too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), so a special'd make more sense for her to be featured? More as a throwback? I can't think of any reasons though for her to appear...

Is she that expensive? Why did they higher such a high profile VA if sitiurations like this were going to happen?

Is she that expensive? Why did they higher such a high profile VA if sitiurations like this were going to happen?

I wouldn't be surprised if they just wanted to get a popular Japanese voice actor for Iris, especially when Cilan's Japanese voice actor is also really popular. His VA's popularity was one reason why people thought that Cilan could stick around longer near the end of BW. Iris' Japanese voice actress voiced Madoka in Madoka Magica, so she would be both popular and probably expensive to get. They may not have been aware of something like this happening at the time or they thought it was worthwhile to bring two high profile voice actors for a whole series.

One episode would be fine I guess but I wouldn't really want her to return. There is nothing really in Kalos for Iris to come back. Never really got into her character due to the catchphrase and the instant Dragonite with op moves. However, it is the writers choice to bring Iris or anyone else back to the anime and we have to respect that regardless of what we like or dislike.

There is nothing really in Kalos for Iris to come back.

Ah yes, because her meeting Drasna - aka, a potential Dragon Master - couldn't possibly be a good reason for her to show up. And of course, her possibly wanting to meet Zygarde since she stans for Dragons wouldn't be a good justification either, right? :rolleyes:

Ah yes, because her meeting Drasna - aka, a potential Dragon Master - couldn't possibly be a good reason for her to show up. And of course, her possibly wanting to meet Zygarde since she stans for Dragons wouldn't be a good justification either, right? :rolleyes:

I know that this is sarcasm, but neither of those are good reasons for her to show up in Kalos at this stage, at least in my opinion. Meeting Drasna would connect more with her goal and it still sounds the most reasonable out of the possible reasons for Iris to show up in Kalos, but I still wonder why she would need to be with Ash's group in order to see Drasna. It sounds reasonable, but it also always sounded more like the setup for another Iris special rather than a reason for her to reunite with Ash again.

Zygarde wouldn't really work either. Sure, she loves Dragon Pokemon, but why come all the way to Kalos to find Zygarde when she was chasing after Rayquaza in Johto at the end of her special? And if it was just a matter of seeing a Legendary Dragon Pokemon, why not just go to Sinnoh that has multiple Legendary Dragon Pokemon? Or better yet, why no have her go to Hoenn since Mega Rayqauaza was actually spotted there during some of the Mega Evolution specials? If she was going to come back due to Zygarde, I think that would have happened by now due to Squishy and the whole Team Flare arc, but it's far too late to do something like that now.

To be honest Im sort of changing my opinion on wanting her to return unless she does something with Serena. I think Serena should be getting the focus otherwise since she needs the screentime more imo

I'm not sure if Iris' return could really have something to do with Serena. They wouldn't really click that well personality-wise and I couldn't really see Iris inspiring Serena either because of their different personalities and goals. Plus, they've already laid out the ground works for Serena's departure, so I don't think that Iris could help build up to that. Even if Serena was still performing her Showcases, I don't think that Iris would have much of an impact on that since she wouldn't be that into performing with Pokemon like that.

while I thought their was a chance she wouldn't considering the writers and producers gave up on their own series I thought it was still a likely thing to happen but now it's looking less and less likely by the day which I not sure how I would feel about at first I hated the character but after a while I realized their was somethings I like about her she's generally more interesting to watch than Serena and bonnie even know I want to punch the screen when she says that annoying catchphrase and if the writers did a better job with her character all the time like they did in her focus episodes she had real potential as a character

At this point, I can only really see Iris showing up in a special side episode or something. We're getting to the near end of XY and I really can't imagine her showing up in the main series for any reason (Not that Dawn had a real reason to be in BW, but still).

If Iris does return for a cameo, I hope she matures. If she does return, I hope the writers make her character more in line with the actual game version of Iris, who I actually like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom