• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Will Iris return in the XY saga?

I gotta add that the last time we saw Iris was when she decided to follow Rayquaza. We have seen Rayquaza recently thanks to the Mega Evolution Specials, but no Iris. Well, that's assuming it's the same Rayquaza, which has no real strong evidence of being true or not. But if it is, then we could see Iris have potentially made it to Hoenn, but possibly to gain more knowledge somehow find out about Alain in Kalos, as well as the whole Team Flare involvement. If there would be any time for Iris to come back, it could possibly be near the time Ash and Alain meet, or even during the main Team Flare plot.

However this is just theorizing at this point, since we have no idea what Iris has actually been up to.

31.png

It is worth looking at this image

Usually by this point we'd have some idea of when this tradition comes upon us. To no one's surprise, I'd be perfectly happy not having Iris appear at all. Why have Bonnie play around with Axew (which is sure to cause some disaster that'll take a whole episode to fix all because Iris won't put her babby in a ball) when we could be having Bonnie and Max interacting? I mean, I might just be a crazy person, but I'd far prefer the latter scenario because I see actual entertainment value in it.

Plus, I can see May meshing with this group so much better than Iris. Which is subjective blah blah blah, and yeah, by this point hoping for May to be the one to cameo is sheer desperation. Doesn't mean I'd far prefer it not to happen, though. When I see May appearing, I see her and Ash catching up on good ol' times, bonding with Clemont because they're both the elder siblings, bonding with Bonnie because I totally see May as the type who'd have loved to have a sister, and bonding with Serena because they share some common traits and both are most notable for having dramatic (by this series' standards) character development arcs. Plus, comparing/combining Contests and Performances? Yes, I'll gladly take that.

What do I see with Iris? First of all, she's gonna strike me as a true weirdo because... well, remember how she could barely sit in Kanto for 5 minutes before randomly deciding to bolt straight to Johto the first chance she got? Welp, zipping from Unova to Kanto to Johto to Kalos is... gonna make me wonder what the hell she's accomplishing if she can't seem to stay in a region for more than an episode. And as @Hidden Mew said, plenty of pre-Gen VI 'mons got retroactively typed as Fairy, so it's not like she has to go to Kalos to experience the wonder that is getting her dragons' shit wrecked by a cute little Fairy-type. Okay, truthfully, if Iris cameo'd and her Dragonite got OHKOed by like, a Flabebé, I would be all for seeing that. It'd feel like karmic retribution for that horrific Junior Cup arc. Also, please no major evolutions to her team please. At this point it'll come off cheap as hell, like everything felt with Iris' Pokemon during Best Wishes. I'll be okay if she just had another Dragon-type or two on board to show off since that makes sense for her goal; I mean, evolving the ones she has makes sense to, but just knowing how they gave Axew insane OP moves to keep it from evolving even though it wants to and getting a haxxed Dragonite with no work put into how it got that power just makes me NOT want to see Iris get any more undeserved rewards.

I'll be real with y'all here: I'm just really glad Ash's Goodra wasn't given to Iris like I initially feared the worst-case scenario would be.

So yeah, Noibat'll be a thing, but Ash has raised plenty of 'mons from eggs before and being a Dragon-type shouldn't make that a super-special deal that requires Iris' intervention. Really, I'll feel vibes of the awful BW Ash in that he'll look bad if he's reliant on Iris to raise Noibat right. That's how a loooot of episodes where Iris was teaching/helping someone with Dragon-type things came off as, really. 'Cause you know that catchphrase will still be there in full force and it just won't feel right in this series considering that Ash is more or less back to how he should be in terms of skill and competence, and it was already an OOC mess when Dawn chimed in on the damn catchphrase. It'd be even more OOC for Serena to follow behind on that. I don't think even Bonnie would be suited for it since that's something she'd more likely use on her brother.

And I really can't see what Iris would bring to the table for Serena. We already saw Dawn's cameo did jack for Iris in BW. I'm not saying it's impossible; just highly unlikely that Iris' presence is going to amount to anything for any of the characters. She has nothing in common with Serena, so I'd be no more comfortable with them being instant BFFs than I was with Iris and Dawn being as such. Serena has nothing to do with dragons other than go a typical "oooh, ahhh, how cool" reaction, and I seriously can't see Iris showing the least bit of interest in Serena's Performer aspirations. Only remotely good thing I could see from this is Serena and Iris NOT hitting it off well at all, and somewhere down the line Serena tries to get Iris into performances and this eventually results in something I WOULD like to see if Iris were to cameo: Serena dressing Iris up in her B2W2 Champion design. I'd be cool with that, and them reaching a middle ground as a resolution if it's given enough time. But I remember that obnoxious scene with Iris and Dawn, how Iris just didn't care in the least for prettying herself up, so how to get from Point A to Point B in my ideal scenario is hard to figure out. To get it done well, at least.

And since Clemont's all about ~SCIENCE!~ I don't think it's a stretch to imagine Iris is not gonna want a thing to do with the poor guy, and probably treat him similarly to how she treated Cilan. I'm not looking forward to anything like that.

So yeah. I mostly see nothing but a chore of a cameo arc to watch if/when Iris appears. XY otherwise has been handled quite efficiently storywise, though, so I like to think the ideal scenario I have in mind could be possible...

At the same time, I REALLY doubt even a good cameo arc will suddenly make me like Iris. Even if that does somehow happen, I'd be so freaked out I'll be proclaiming that the XY staff are secretly witches. Because how else can they magically change my mind about a character who played one of the biggest parts in making Best Wishes a painful mess for me to watch? XD

(like really, before the Goodra release was made known, I was beginning to think sorcery was behind XY being this good...)

Last edited:
Probably. ...You'd just hope it has a point, though I did enjoy Dawn's cameo, to be honest... though that's because I like Dawn.

The female TC has always returned, although probably by coincidence, in the second dub season (and in BW's case, the second Japanese season as well). I think the return is near, since she usually returns a quarter in, which is near where we are right now.

Misty: Returned in Advanced Challenge
May: Returned in Battle Dimension
Dawn: Returned in Rival Destinies (dub)/BW Season 2 (JPN)

Though I would love if they did a Volt Switch this time (Emolga pun intended) and brought back Cilan instead. He's one of my favorite characters from the anime.

The reason Dawn didn't get a return redesign is what she probably would have worn (Platinum outfit) she already wore in the DP series, so it wouldn't be much of a change. I'd imagine seeing Iris in her B2W2 outfit, although she obviously wouldn't be the Unova champion in this canon. (But that would be a big surprise if she was, or even the Opelucid Gym Leader like Drayden promised!)

Last edited:
technickal said:
The reason Dawn didn't get a return redesign is what she probably would have worn (Platinum outfit) she already wore in the DP series, so it wouldn't be much of a change. I'd imagine seeing Iris in her B2W2 outfit, although she obviously wouldn't be the Unova champion in this canon. (But that would be a big surprise if she was, or even the Opelucid Gym Leader like Drayden promised!)

It wouldn't make any sense for Iris to become the new Champion in the anime. In order to do that, she would have had to get eight Gym badges, win the Unova League and win the Champion League by defeating the Unova Elite 4 and Champion. That wouldn't make much sense for her to do when she never showed interest in the Unova League. Plus, she was traveling through Johto the last time I checked, so I don't see why she'd suddenly decide to go back to Unova and even if she did, she couldn't have made all of that progress since her special. There was also enough glorification of Iris to make her an extra special gifted snowflake during BW. We don't need more of that in XY by making her a Champion. Even becoming a Gym Leader would be too much due to how she never came off as Gym Leader potential, at least to me, and there's still the issue of how she was traveling through Johto. Not to mention she didn't seem interested in the position when it was first brought up and I don't think it has been addressed. I don't know if it was mentioned during her special though.

I don't think I could see Iris wearing her B2/W2 outfit if she did appear. It doesn't really fit with her and I doubt that there would be some scene to explain why she suddenly went for a fancy dress like they provided for B2/W2. The idea of Serena providing that outfit to Iris sounds more probable, but I imagine that it would be for a scene or an episode at best before going back to her usual outfit. I really don't see Iris connecting with any of the new characters particularly well. I could unfortunately see them going for the same instant BFF with Serena as they did with Dawn, which would probably annoy me. At this point, if she does appear, I don't see it turning out much better than Dawn's cameo return. If all they care about is keeping up the tradition instead of making it actually fit well with the current storyline and cast, then it's nothing to really look forward to in my opinion. The chances are good that it will be disappointing and poorly handled.

As much as i don't want iris to come back there's no denying that she will have her cameo xy. Damn you writers if you dare bring that ''Such a little kid'' annoying catchphrase back.

If she ever returns I hope she has matured, I won't stand her calling Ash a kid! Ash has clearly matured from BW to XY so it's fair she has changed a bit too...

If she ever returns I hope she has matured, I won't stand her calling Ash a kid! Ash has clearly matured from BW to XY so it's fair she has changed a bit too...

Well, Misty matured during her AG return, at least from what I saw. So there's the possibility there.

Misty had already matured during her original run though. She had less of a temper and didn't argue with Ash nearly as much as she did during Kanto and maybe the Orange Islands as she did during Johto. Iris, on the other hand, didn't mature during BW in my opinion. She was still treating Ash pretty much in the same way and was still just as immature as Ash, if not more so. While I'd be fine with Iris being more mature if she does return, especially when I hated catchphrase that made her more of a hypocrite than anything else, I don't know if I'd expect something like that to happen give her general personality. Plus, they probably would want Iris to use her catchphrase, despite how it probably wouldn't make much sense given how Ash doesn't act as immaturely in XY as he did in BW.

Personally i dont see any issue with Iris keeping her catchphrase. Joking isnt always done with malice or with purpose of demeaning someone.

Afterall regardless of Misty maturing didn't we saw her in Hoenn cameos having tendency to tease Ash out of endearment or get in clash commenting on his battle abilities or his resourcefulness?

When he made her annoyed by snatching invitation for Togepi festival from her or rushing recklessly toward colonel Hanson without consulting with Sarah and king before that. Or there still existing competitive spirit between those two poking at each other whos better trainere bragging about their skills and laughing at themselves such as in Mastermind special. Enjoying in doing so reflecting on past times.

With Ash and Misty friendship being characterised by playful fire, sassy remarks, sometimes getting in clash due to stubborn natures, aside from care, moral support and understanding developed with time as they became more accepting of differences and closer.

Friends express care and concern in different ways toward someone depending on their personality and i have friends in real life who like to tease or be snarky sometime. But i know how this is only their way of showing support and love.

So i cant really say i would be bothered if Iris use "your such a kid" phrase in case of coming back in Kalos. Because she could still mature as result of solo travels and new experiences becoming more respectful and compassionate regarding Ash with his highly sophisticated battle skills so far displayed in XY series leaving her astonished. Yet retain her sarcastic, hyperactive nature(like Misty did, although in her case it was more so spunk and sarcasm) using that phrase as one of signature points of her personality in humorous and harmless joking way.

If anything her well intentioned manners could lead to amusing and awkward situations causing misunderstanding and possible annoyance from Serena or Bonnie. Leading to *gasp* different, more original way of previous female lead interacting with new one. Rather than instantly clicking off becoming BFF's.

Adding more fire, comedy and life in interactions that way and new friends in Ash company overcoming differences and settling up wrongly interpretated jokes from Iris side working on forming good friendship.

Even though i think due to both Serena and Misty similarities of having romantic affection to Ash but striking differences too, build of bond in girls becoming more comfortable with each other could be executed in more organic, eventful way with them. But thats beside the point.

Now i know Iris to many people isn't their favorite cup of tea. But instead of being lead by our prejudices and negative opinions formed around character, i think it would be more rewarding and satisfying for both those who liked or disliked Iris character to look toward her possible and in my opinion likely return in Kalos with more open mind.

Opening door in giving her chance to see if writers could dissuade skeptics and made them able to enjoy in her character. As impossible as that may seem for some.

If anything Kalos has far more plots and stories from which decent or great story arc could be made developing Iris character, her story of becoming dragon master and influence everyone else around herself. Than it was case with Dawn in Unova who due to lack of contests not exising there didn't had viable way to excell and properly shine advancing her dreams sadly.

Last edited:
I really want to quickly get this off my chest, so I apologise in advance.

To be honest, I'd call constantly criticizing a person and then either throwing a temper tantrum or turning physically violent when they criticize you back much, MUCH worse than simply calling someone names. At least Iris could admit when she was in the wrong....and at least they lessened that trait with Misty when they did, admittedly.

Either way, guess we'll find out when/if it happens, but we seem to have a ways to go.

The problem with that is that they rarely pointed out when Iris was in the wrong, especially with constantly calling Ash a little kid. I can only remember a couple of times where they pointed out that she was being a hypocrite by calling Ash a little kid. More often than not, she would still act like she was more mature, even when it was clearly not the case. Admittedly, that was probably for comedy relief, but it always bugged me when it made her look more like an annoying hypocrite to me than anything else.

That's one reason why I hope that catchphrase doesn't come back. It most likely will if she does return, but I think if it does, then there would be an attempt to make Ash look more immature than he has for the majority of XY. While I wouldn't call XY Ash mature per say, he has more skills and self-assurance than I think he did in BW. They also aren't trying as hard to make him more comical like I think they were trying to do during BW. Iris calling Ash a little kid as he is now wouldn't make much sense given how he generally isn't as immature as he was during BW, which makes me worried how they'll write Ash if Iris does come back and they want to make her annoying catchphrase fit more within the context of her relationship with Ash.

Imo yes, though not anytime soon. I never understood the witch hunt against her or why now suddenly the pattern of previous girls showing up should stop though. :/

Imo yes, though not anytime soon. I never understood the witch hunt against her or why now suddenly the pattern of previous girls showing up should stop though. :/

I wouldn't call it a witch hunt per say, but I can understand why people dislike Iris. The writing around her and her personality were pretty terrible in my opinion, so that would to a lot of people disliking her. I also think that people have explained why they wouldn't mind the tradition of the female lead to stop in this thread pretty clearly. We don't want another cameo along the lines of what Dawn had where the appearance is forced in, doesn't showcase how far the character has progressed since leaving the cast, doesn't advance or factor into the storyline for the current cast and ultimately comes off as a waste of time given that nothing was actually accomplished.

Even if I liked Iris or at least didn't dislike her as much as I do, I doubt that I'd be that into her making a cameo appearance simply because of how Dawn turned out. That and I honestly don't see a good reason for her to make a Kalos appearance. Wanting to battle Drasna is the best possible reason for her return that I've seen and even then, I don't know how they'd factor that into her return arc, especially when I doubt that she would really need to be with Ash to suddenly find Drasna and she seemed perfectly fine traveling through Johto anyway. Not to mention there's still the issue of how that wouldn't really factor into the current cast or storyline.

Sweet merciful heavens, please, KEEP THAT DEMONIC CREATURE OUT OF THE SHOW!!!

Iris, god I hated her. She was the main reason I didn't watch BW. As @Hidden Mew; pointed out, she was a hypocrite, yet it was rarely addressed or even acknowledged by anyone else, including the writers. She always saw herself as a superior, yet could never truly back it up. Poor Ash never really got any respect around her. And most of her "progress" was cheap shortcuts at best (Dragonite being the biggest example). She never really accomplished anything during her tenure in the show, so see absolutely no reason to even remotely bring her back. And if she does return (god forbid), that "You're such a kid." like better not come with her. Seeing how Dawn's return didn't accomplish anything, I really see no reason for her to rear her mug back on the airways, since there is nothing for her to do (though seeing her get whooped by a Flabebe or another weak Fairy Mon would be deliciously satisfying).

But I see no reason to bring her back, since Dawn's return did nothing for the show, and she actually accomplished things, matured, and progressed over DP. At least with Misty and May there was a reason for them returning (Togepi Kingdom and Wallace Cup), which showed both of their growth and progress during their absence from the show. So the last thing we need is Iris' immaturity and unjustified air of superiority back on the airways. I know there is tradition in the anime, but XY has broken some of those traditions already (Ash not getting the Grass Starter of the region and Froakie evolving, for example), so I don't see why they should keep this tradition going, since it'll benefit no one in the long run. Putting my overwhelming hatred for Iris aside, there is nothing for her, or anyone, to accomplish with her coming to Kalos except annoying the hell out of everyone (I could even see Serena try to put Iris in her place due to her crush on Ash). The only possible example is Drasna, but even that is a stretch, so I don't think it's likely.

So I hope that Iris doesn't return, as there is nothing good or useful that can come out of it. She's gone and should stay that way. But knowing how the anime loves to throw us screwballs, there is still a chance for her to appear. But I pray that she doesn't, since there is no benefit to her appearing, especially if she hasn't matured or learned to respect others.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom