• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Will Iris return in the XY saga?

Not gonna bother reading all these pages so it was probably said before but I can see Iris' inevitable visit dealing with one or both of these:
1. Meeting Drasna
2. the whole dragon VS fairy thing, she'd probably battle a fairy user (possibly Serena if Eevee ends up as a Sylveon or if she catches another fairy type by then)
What would be really interesting though is that unlike literally everyone in XY who are pretty much Ash's fan club, Iris tends to laugh at Ash and tease him. It'll be amusing to see her do that while everyone else is admiring or literally in love with him lol...

I still don't feel she is a trainer
I know from the first episode that is the definiton of trainer is having pokemon however to tell ou the truth I have feeling that trainer should not just for who have a pokemon
for example, we you see a bad students in the schools, they all have notebooks, books, pens and everything the need for study however they spend all the time for intrupting the classes so you fell they not a real students
the same for trainer, the real trainer o atleast a trainer should be for who trainer time by time and doing atleast what he can to help his pokemon however she all the time feel bored fro the journey, training and from the pokemon

I still don't feel she is a trainer
I know from the first episode that is the definiton of trainer is having pokemon however to tell ou the truth I have feeling that trainer should not just for who have a pokemon
for example, we you see a bad students in the schools, they all have notebooks, books, pens and everything the need for study however they spend all the time for intrupting the classes so you fell they not a real students
the same for trainer, the real trainer o atleast a trainer should be for who trainer time by time and doing atleast what he can to help his pokemon however she all the time feel bored fro the journey, training and from the pokemon

Iris is a trainer. Whether or not she is a good trainer is up for debate, but Iris being a trainer is a hard cold fact. Arguing otherwise is just ridiculous and the example doesn't help either. A student is a person who goes to school. Whether or not they're a good student does not change that fact. A person that owns at least one Pokemon is a trainer. They may not be a good trainer, but they are still a trainer. How good a trainer is doesn't determine whether or not they are a "real" trainer.

This also has nothing to do with Iris' chances of being in XY, so I'd prefer it if you didn't bring up this point again. It didn't go over when you made a thread about it and I don't see it turning out any better here.

Well, it's getting closer and closer to the end. I've already seen a few of Iris's fans on tumblr give up on the idea of a reappearance. There have already been times that would have been fitting for Iris to appear where she hasn't that have come and gone.

With XYZ, the show will be wanting to focus more on the future than the past and there's a lot of plot lines to wrap up. I'd sooner see them focus on wrapping up Citron, Eureka and Burshamo Mask than bring back an older character. I imagine that people would rather see Serena's performance stuff than bringing back Iris who probably wouldn't tie into that. (Dento though stands a chance to judge.) Satoshi's gym battle challenge leaves only one area where I could see Iris do anything and that feels super duper unlikely: as a rival for the league.

Well, lets ask ourselves this....whenabouts in the previous seasons did the previous travelling companions make a reappearance?

If I recall correctly, Dawn didn't appear in BW until after Ash had gotten all eight of his gym badges. I don't recall exactly when the others did, but if Iris or Cilan do return, surely it'll be around then?

I expect Iris/Cilan to appear after the League.

Though since XY&Z may not exactly be a condensed Flare arc like Episode N, she might as well appear soon too.

If I recall correctly, Dawn didn't appear in BW until after Ash had gotten all eight of his gym badges. I don't recall exactly when the others did, but if Iris or Cilan do return, surely it'll be around then?

Misty appeared in AG44 and the following episode, some silent cameos during the Hoenn League, then a three episode appearance in the Battle Frontier starting in AG132.

May appeared for a 5 episode guest stint during the Wallace Cup, from DP75-DP79.

Please that Misty's 1st AG appearance and May's DP appearance happened during the Badge Quest of their regions.

Iris could appear during the gap between the Psychic and Iceberg Badges (which could be kinda long for all we know) though nothing's set in stone. She might even appear between the Badge Quest and the League like Dawn did in DP (but better handled).

We'll find out for sure sooner or later. Until then we'll just have to guess and speculate... :-/

Last edited:
there is a one point no one thought about it
About her pokemon excidrill, it is came exteremly out of nowhere
When she in first episodes, it appears that she didn't have any pokemon jusy axew
however they wrote axew one day to be in danger to make here have this pokemon
the same with paul and torterra
so please sta awayy shir iris

Last edited:
Possilbe
but i wasnt big fan of her
she calls ash kid all the time and she a kid becuase she dosent as munch compare to ash

The only reason (If they decide they need a reason, unlike in a Best Wishes with Dawn) for Iris reappearing would be something to do with Dransa. I think with the Elite Four getting decent focus this series, Dransa is likely to appear and Iris will be involved somhow

Apologies for reviving this thread.

But i I have been thinking about this lately and since out of Kalos E4 only Siebold and Malva have been featured so far or will soon enough be. if Iris cameo has anything to do with E4 Drasna it would been interesting for change to see reasoning behind her travels to distant region like Kalos being organized through intermediation of third person.

Perhaps Drayden could tell Iris about all kind of new dragons and newly discovered specie fairies existing there. As well being home of Drasna who is master of dragon types and one of strongest, most competent trainers out there specializing in said type. If not most competent.

Contacting E4 member herself to test out Iris and see if she has potential to become dragon pokemon master. Reaching perfect bond with them and learning how to unlock their full strength.

What would be especially cool is if Iris in case of managing to impress Drasna was given offer to stay training with her. Teaching her unknown mysteries and secrets about dragon pokemon and how to read their minds working as one.

Something which started to seem happening when Iris was able to enter Dragonite mind shortly when battling against Clair.

I think training under E4 member who specialize in dragon pokemon and is dragon master herself would provide priceless knowledge, experience and skills Iris could hardly obtain anywhere else.

I kinda wished this plot had been utilized with E4 Siebold and Misty coming in Kalos. Entering big tournament organized by him mega evolving Gyarados and learning how to be more creative as trainer under Siebold guidance advancing her water master dream.

But since that ship obviously sailed away, perhaps this could be arranged with E4 Drasna who hasn't been showed yet.

And Iris herself.

That is if Iris returns. Because so far its been longest ever since replaced main female received one follow up appearance from past saga before ending abandoned and ignored forever. Which raises up certain concerns since XY saga already approached soon enough it will be 100 episodes. And more than 2 years passed edver since BW ended.

There is still time to bring Iris back, but still with pokemon policy and way continuity and previous replaced characters are handled(of course in bad way, but than again no other long lived anime ditches its main cast so often using them actually to full potential) nothing is sure anymore in this show.

Apologies for reviving this thread.

But i I have been thinking about this lately and since out of Kalos E4 only Siebold and Malva have been featured so far or will soon enough be. if Iris cameo has anything to do with E4 Drasna it would been interesting for change to see reasoning behind her travels to distant region like Kalos being organized through intermediation of third person.

Perhaps Drayden could tell Iris about all kind of new dragons and newly discovered specie fairies existing there. As well being home of Drasna who is master of dragon types and one of strongest, most competent trainers out there specializing in said type. If not most competent.

Contacting E4 member herself to test out Iris and see if she has potential to become dragon pokemon master. Reaching perfect bond with them and learning how to unlock their full strength.

What would be especially cool is if Iris in case of managing to impress Drasna was given offer to stay training with her. Teaching her unknown mysteries and secrets about dragon pokemon and how to read their minds working as one.

Something which started to seem happening when Iris was able to enter Dragonite mind shortly when battling against Clair.

I think training under E4 member who specialize in dragon pokemon and is dragon master herself would provide priceless knowledge, experience and skills Iris could hardly obtain anywhere else.

I kinda wished this plot had been utilized with E4 Siebold and Misty coming in Kalos. Entering big tournament organized by him mega evolving Gyarados and learning how to be more creative as trainer under Siebold guidance advancing her water master dream.

But since that ship obviously sailed away, perhaps this could be arranged with E4 Drasna who hasn't been showed yet.

And Iris herself.

That is if Iris returns. Because so far its been longest ever since replaced main female received one follow up appearance from past saga before ending abandoned and ignored forever. Which raises up certain concerns since XY saga already approached soon enough it will be 100 episodes. And more than 2 years passed edver since BW ended.

There is still time to bring Iris back, but still with pokemon policy and way continuity and previous replaced characters are handled(of course in bad way, but than again no other long lived anime ditches its main cast so often using them actually to full potential) nothing is sure anymore in this show.

I always thought, if Iris returns it'll almost certainly have something to do with Dransa.

Iris returning to the anime for Drasna sounds very likely. I don't really see why else would Iris bother traveling all the way to the Kalos region. It wouldn't make much sense if they bring her back for a tournament or something like they did with Dawn. The other option would be to have Iris appear after the Kalos story is over and the in-between arc (like Orange Islands, Battle Frontier etc.) has started. Even then, I can't see Iris returning unless it has to do with dragons and, perhaps, a powerful Dragon type trainer. Well, they could also introduce a whole new character that is going to end up being part of Gen VII.

I don't think they won't show Iris at all.

While Iris's possible return involving Drasna sounds like a better idea than returning to train against Fairy types or to claim that she chased Rayquaza from Johto to Kalos, I'm not sure why she would need to be with Ash and the others for that to happen. If she just wanted to find Drasna to battle or learn something, that really wouldn't require to meet up with Ash and his friend. At least I don't see how meeting with Ash would necessarily help Iris with meeting Drasna. It sounds like something Iris could just do on her own in another special or something. Granted, I still really can't see Iris mixing well with the XY cast at all, but I don't see why meeting with Ash and meeting Drasna would be connected. It would just feel like they included her cameo for the shake of tradition more than anything else.

While Iris's possible return involving Drasna sounds like a better idea than returning to train against Fairy types or to claim that she chased Rayquaza from Johto to Kalos, I'm not sure why she would need to be with Ash and the others for that to happen. If she just wanted to find Drasna to battle or learn something, that really wouldn't require to meet up with Ash and his friend. At least I don't see how meeting with Ash would necessarily help Iris with meeting Drasna. It sounds like something Iris could just do on her own in another special or something. Granted, I still really can't see Iris mixing well with the XY cast at all, but I don't see why meeting with Ash and meeting Drasna would be connected. It would just feel like they included her cameo for the shake of tradition more than anything else.
No reason for her to back other than the tradition of girl back
I hope she doesn't appear

Well if I was visiting another country and a close friend was there, I'd want to see them, even if they couldn't help with whatever I was doing...

Well if I was visiting another country and a close friend was there, I'd want to see them, even if they couldn't help with whatever I was doing...

I can understand that, but the problem is that if Iris could accomplish what she came to Kalos without interacting with Ash and his friends, her cameo would probably feel even more tacked on and forced for me. There wouldn't be a good reason for her to interact with the XY cast other than keeping the tradition and I would really prefer for them to have a better reason than that to maintain the tradition of the previous female character returning for a few episodes.

I still would vastly prefer for them to end the tradition and not bring Iris back, but if they do want to bring Iris back for XY, then there needs to be a really good reason behind it and why she would need to hang out with the XY cast. Doing it just for tradition would probably result in something like Dawn's return where it feels forced, Iris doesn't help with the progression of any of the current characters' arcs and there's ultimately no progression for Iris' arc either. Despite being one of the better reasons I've seen for Iris's possible arrival in Kalos, wanting to battle Drasna wouldn't really require Iris to meet with Ash, so something like that wouldn't be a good reason for Iris to interact with the XY cast, at least in my opinion.

I can't say i understand how Iris coming back for some plot which would be of help in advancing her own story meeting up with her friend Ash in process is not good enough reason?

Other things like Iris forming new acquintances or friendships or possibly impact Ash friends story can happen subsequently.

If older character comeback already has plot through which its own story can be explored and pushed forward, than main prerequisites to justify someone inclusion in main series is already met. Because purpose behind temporary return of past traveling companion is exactly that; providing update about him/ her, develop him more if there exists way to do it, tie up loose ends if they are possible to be fulfilled in short timeframe and advance its own dreams and career.

Something which for Iris already exists in meeting dragon experts such as E4 Drasna, opportunity to see from first hand new Fairy types in action and learn about Dragon big weakness to them. Helping her to adjust battle style and strategy as prominent future dragon master.
Catch new pokemon etc.

Alongside in strengthening continuity, bringing extra twist to story, acknowledging Iris existence being developed more and serve as connection to past and Ash previous achievements.

Everything else such as possibility to be of help for Ash, Serena, Clemont or Bonnie is just additional bonus which can or doesn't need to happen.

We already had that with Misty return in Hoenn. Everything regarding Togepi arc was subjected to exactly that. Development of Misty and her own pokemon with Misty not helping push May, Max, Brock or Ash stories at all. Because during her comeback she was main star with writers dedivcating every inch of time to exactly that.

And there was nothing forced or tacked about this because unlike it was case with Dawn return in Unova which provided zero progression of her on character or any coverage about her journey of screen. We got update, new clothes, new pokemon and opportunity to do more with her own story.

If we want to nitpick even May return which helped impact Dawn story could be questioned than. Because Wallace Cup was blatantly created just to give excuse for her to travel in Sinnoh, when she could just attempt to earn new ribbon somewhere in Johto. While Dawn depression could be solved through intervention of some other new characer.

Writers choosed otherwise because of fans and May being important character in pokemon series deserving follow up.

Hence why Iris deserves same treatment as well.

Instead of everything regarding her story happening of screen never to play any role in anime again.

Let ask ourselves for a moment, how does Ash meet most of his traveling companions?

Its through random chance, circumstance bumping into them happening to pass through same place /town they are at moment.

Better yet what is purpose behind their existence in first place to be part of main cast at all, when ever since Brock and Misty there was no need for any of subsequent traveling companions to play major role in Ash character development and progression as trainer(it was usually other way around with Ash becoming mentor).

There was little to none with his companions existence coming from developing their own characters. Getting audience to learn more about them, build on friendship with main hero and show other stories to be told aside from Ash's.

Just happening to be in same place and at same time Ash was in, deciding to become friends and explore region in each other company.

So i certainly dont see anything contrived or bad in Iris either hearing Ash is in Kalos as well, when traveling there to advance her own goal. Or being in same place where Ash and his Kalos companions currently are joining them temporarily due to all of them heading in same direction.

Killing 2 flies with one stone.

Just because someone isn't anymore main character being replaced does not mean its ok to forgett about him never to be seen again. Or let unfinished story and potential to be done more end up wasted. Counting those who aren't fan favorites ditto(like Iris).
Because thats in my opinion completely wrong approach with none of past main characters as long Pokemon series are set in same time line and continuity deserving that.

Last edited:
Honestly I Stopped watching X and Y because of how boring of a character serena, I still keep up to date on gym battles but it's because of how poorly the lead female character that lost all interest, so having Iris return will be nice, actually if they don't screw Ash out of losing and he gets a chance to battle the elite four, they could have it where Drasna is friends with Draydon and he and Iris are visiting, I would love to see Iris with new design, some like her BW2 but without the dress, I also doubt that she would be scared of fairy type pokemon or beaten by anyone in the group since

-Serena barely using her pokemon to fight.

-Clemont pokemon aren't as strong has her's.

-The only Pokemon that Ash has that could be her are, Pikachu and maybe Greninja if the whole Ash greninja is still a thing.

I would love it if Bonnie starts calling Clemont a kid after she hears Iris say to Ash, that would make me soon happy that people will say stuff like "OMG THEY RUINED BOONIE!!" because let's face it,Pokemon fans are whiny like that.

Honestly I Stopped watching X and Y because of how boring of a character serena, I still keep up to date on gym battles but it's because of how poorly the lead female character that lost all interest, so having Iris return will be nice, actually if they don't screw Ash out of losing and he gets a chance to battle the elite four, they could have it where Drasna is friends with Draydon and he and Iris are visiting, I would love to see Iris with new design, some like her BW2 but without the dress, I also doubt that she would be scared of fairy type pokemon or beaten by anyone in the group since

-Serena barely using her pokemon to fight.

-Clemont pokemon aren't as strong has her's.

-The only Pokemon that Ash has that could be her are, Pikachu and maybe Greninja if the whole Ash greninja is still a thing.

I would love it if Bonnie starts calling Clemont a kid after she hears Iris say to Ash, that would make me soon happy that people will say stuff like "OMG THEY RUINED BOONIE!!" because let's face it,Pokemon fans are whiny like that.

Wow, Serena's boring but you actually like Iris? You have stronger stomach than me...

FYI, Clemont is a gym leader, Iris is a "gym leader some day when she's better" and honestly Iris will lose if that's what the writers want...

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom