• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Will Pikachu ever forget Electro Ball (and learn something more useful)

New Pikachu Move

• Volt Tackle return

Votes: 20 71.4%
  • Keep Electro Ball

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Knock Off

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signal Beam

• Disarming Voice

• Defensive Move

• Cosplay Pikachu Move

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 10.7%

• Total voters

sc190191

more afraid of you
Reaction score
Anyone think it is time for Pikachu to learn a new move? It has been over 200 episodes and Electro Ball is essentially worthless coupled with Thunder Bolt (which shouldn't go away). I personally wish Volt Tackle wouldn't have gone away, but it would be nice to see a new move.

Knock Off would be cool, but it may not have much use in the anime. Signal Beam might also be interesting or maybe even Fake Out. Pikachu's moveset is pretty limited, but of course with the anime and Ash's Pikachu anything is possible. Other potential moves could be disarming voice (it is a weak move, but Anime sometimes makes weak moves look better and Ash's team has no Fairy attacks) or maybe a more defensive move since Ash has made some strides in strategy back to his DP days such as Light Screen, protect, wish, etc. (although these wouldn't be as exciting).

Maybe they would even let Pikachu learn a move that is only usable by the cosplay Pikachu, like maybe learning how to use flying press from Hawlucnha (could be an interesting couple of episodes). I also really enjoy those episodes where a Pokemon learns a new move from some expert, such as Pikachu and Iron Tail, Swallow and Aerial Ace, Glalie and Ice Beam, Staraptor and Brave Bird, Buizel and Ice Punch, etc.

I get the feeling that the Anime will probably wait until a new move comes a long that is really impressive before changing Pikachu's moves (although I don't think Electro Ball really fits that mold). Anyway, how does everyone else feel about this topic?

Electro Ball doesn't have the impact that Volt Tackle had. I'd prefer something like Wild Charge but Pikachu can't learn that...

Maybe a status move?

Electro Ball doesn't have the impact that Volt Tackle had. I'd prefer something like Wild Charge but Pikachu can't learn that...

Maybe a status move?
Pikachu can learn Wild Charge in ORAS thanks to it's movepool being updated

Pikachu can learn Wild Charge in ORAS thanks to it's movepool being updated
But Wild Charge is weaker than Volt Tackle. Additionally Volt Tackle is Pikachu's signature move. It doesn't make sense to downgrade.

At least Electro Ball has the potential to have the same base power as Volt Tackle if not more, making the switch actually plausible.

But Wild Charge is weaker than Volt Tackle. Additionally Volt Tackle is Pikachu's signature move. It doesn't make sense to downgrade.

At least Electro Ball has the potential to have the same base power as Volt Tackle if not more, making the switch actually plausible.
I was just letting Ky know that Pikachu can learn Wild Charge now.

I hate Electro Ball (the animation makes my eyes bleed!!) and I never understood why Volt Tackle was replaced, but that doesn't necessarily mean I'd want it back... tbh I know jack shit about Pokemon moves so I don't really know what I'd want it to be substituted with :p

Volt Tackle (as its really powerful and signature) or Thunder Wave!

I'd also like to see Iron Tail replaced with Brick Break, but that's a little off topic.

I like Electro Ball and what Pikachu says when he uses it "Pika ... chupi!". But if it does get replaced, I can see Discharge, Signal Beam or even Electroweb being very useful instead

I've personally ruled out all tutor moves. There's some sort of aversion to them in recent times, none of Ash's Pokemon have ever learned one since Buizel.
Brick Break wouldn't work, nor would Dig for that matter. I doubt we'll ever see Return since it would get confused with the exclamation used when recalling Pokémon.
Nah, I think some future Gen VII move is most likely.

If not for Dedenne, Pikachu probably would have learned Nuzzle this generation-maybe they thought that move wasn't "cool" enough for him.

Grass Knot or Hidden Power Grass for better coverage because for some reason Ash still thinks it's a good idea to use Pikachu against Ground types.

I'd love for him to get Volt Tackle back. It was his signature move when he got it and it was a good finisher. Electro Ball seems underwhelming to me, and not just because of its fluctuating power levels in the games.

Volt Tackle #1 best Pikachu move please bring that shyte back. Electro Ball is a wasted slot except for the rare occasions he uses it as something other than an attack move.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom