• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Will Pikachu Learn a New Move anytime soon?

What? Oh, like you've never imagined a Dunsparce flying off of Ash's shoulder and tossing a Thunderbolt at Team Rocket? And Arceus knows it needs the publicity, Dunsparce is one of the least popular Pokemon, right down there with Qwilfish! I dislike their lack of popularity. Very much.

Anyway, I think it's somewhat likely that Pikachu could learn a new move soon. I mean, if MEOWTH, who hasn't done diddly outside of Scratch, Bite, and Fury Swipes since the SECOND EPISODE is now learning Night Slash, I think Pikachu, who hasn't learned anything since Volt Tackle in the middle of the previous saga, is easily capable of learning something new. Especially since Pikachu has some new move options such as Signal Beam and Magnet Rise.

Dont worry pals the Electric Gym is coming and as far as I remember Pikachu kicks ass in all those !

Dont worry pals the Electric Gym is coming and as far as I remember Pikachu kicks ass in all those !

Ahhh but this is the 1st electric gym where theres a good chance 2 of the pokemon wont even be electric!....he might be too confused by Octillary and Ambipom to battle!

I just hope it doesn't come down to yet another Pikachu Vs. Raichu match, especially after that filler character had a Raichu too in DP.

Given that Volkner will most likely use his D/P team he will use raichu, either way, raichu will be used and Pikachu can take care of octillary as its a water type and ambipom won't be too hard. Wonder if that will spark back memories of Ambipom for Dawn?

Given that Volkner will most likely use his D/P team he will use raichu, either way, raichu will be used and Pikachu can take care of octillary as its a water type and ambipom won't be too hard. Wonder if that will spark back memories of Ambipom for Dawn?

At least, it's good to have a badass Ambipom who focuses solely on battles. Dawn's Ambipom (not Aipom) barely had any good battles.

At least, it's good to have a badass Ambipom who focuses solely on battles. Dawn's Ambipom (not Aipom) barely had any good battles.

So essentially it would be insulting Ambipom's memory, wouldn't it?

It's pretty sad that Ambipom was released in the first place, but now the writers are going to rub it into our faces with Volkner's.

It's a damn shame that Ambipom went through all that development, and then it was only on Dawn's team for a short time. Its probably the biggest thing the writers did wrong with the DP series.

Last edited:
So essentially it would be insulting Ambipom's memory, wouldn't it?

It's pretty sad that Ambipom was released in the first place, but now the writers are going to rub it into our faces with Volkner's.

It's a damn shame that Ambipom went through all that development, and then it was only on Dawn's team for a short time. Its probably the biggest thing the writers did wrong with the DP series.

Kinda glad she released that dumb monkey.....

Yeah, I also agree with anyone who doesn't want to see a pathetic Pikachu v. Raichu battle............

Lt. Surge took care of Pikachu's "needs" to imagine itself as a Raichu. Imagine Pikachu thinking: "They're slow, they have funny voices, and they're mean..."

That doesn't mean I don't know that there will be another filler episode where Pikachu questions whether or not it should become a Raichu

Senbonzakura said:
Yeah, I also agree with anyone who doesn't want to see a pathetic Pikachu v. Raichu battle............

Please no. Not again. The Lt. Surge battle was bad enough.

It'd be hilarious if Pikachu learned Attract...Buneary would be so jealous every time he uses it XD
I wonder what it'd look like if Pikachu used Natural Gift or Fling...

Yes, this thread is 4 months old, but better to place my thoughts here than in another thread that doesn't belong.

Pikachu has so many techniques, the anime should allow the trainers to shuffle their movepool a few times for it to be more unpredictable. Don't care about the writers but I would like it for Pikachu to learn new technique(s) it never learned before.

Any of these will do:

-Reversal/Brick Break

Since fighting techniques are 1 of the 2 types that can break 5 elemental types, it should learn 1 of these. Reversal should be his ace card since it suffers HP loss/damage so much. Brick Break is more solid and crashes through glass barrier techniques.

-Grass Knot

Might as well overthrow those big heavy weights standing in its way, especially those legendary monsters.

-Ice Hidden Power

Only way it can gain an Ice-type technique unless HGSS comes along and gives it one. Dragons, Grass and Grounds hate it.

-Substitute

It should learn some coverage techniques. Plus it can further its Reversal.

Techniques I'm leaning on, but undecided:

-Mud-Slap/Dig

Ground techniques are the 2nd of the 2 types that can break 5 elemental types. Mud Slap, while weak, is good offensively and defensively, crippling opponent's health and sight (outside of floaters, fliers, and those that cannot be blind). Dig is just for strength/evasion unless the floor shakes.

-Surf

Been here since Yellow's release. Great to see it used at least for coverage for Fire.

-Signal Beam

Good against Psychics and Darks. Confusion? If it can activate that is.

-Nasty Plot

Can't see if it can pull it off, but with dodging around in the anime, I also can't see how it can't. Obviously to turn the tide.

-Encore

I've never seen it used in anime. Definitely an interesting one to see. Only problem is, if opponent has another monster in the bench, he/she will simply switch it.

Thoughts on its current movepool:

-Thunderbolt

Should keep it always.

-Volt Tackle

Same power as Thunder, and is able to damage really hard, but the fact that it get's itself crippled after the damage does not bode well for me. Haven't seen it being taken itself out after its Volt Tackle but the possibility is there.

-Iron Tail

Steel attacks aren't really offensive despite the strength. Only covers 2 types while fighting covers more. Yes, it can drop opponent's defenses but it's best to finish opponent off instantly especially if opponent is very aggressive.

-Quick Attack

Can't really see how good it is anymore for it. An electric-type Quick Attack I can see, but...

If all else, I'd like to see Pikachu with another monster effect that help it more in battle. It's no good defensively, wondering if Pikachu should have had Static as its effect.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom