• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Will Pokemon hit the 1000 Episodes?

Will Pokemon hit the 1000 Episode mark?

• Total voters
Reaction score
Well I just wonder that as far as I know Detective Conan and Pokemon are the longest Animes ever and I started to think "Will Pokemon hit the 1000mark in Episodes" and thought also "Why don't ask the Comunity what they believe". So here is my poll. My answer is maybe cause I'm not that sure but I believe DP won't be last season at least.

The longest running anime series is Sazae-san, which is rapidly approaching it's 2000th episode.

Honestly, I hope not. If it does, I hope its a different series.

Pokemon has almost 600 episodes right now, but I'd really like to see Ash's story wrapped up before I'm dead.

I like rewatching the show, and it gets harder and harder to rewatch the series when there's just so many damn episodes.

Ah, damn. I totally overglanced the "maybe" option and just went with the first one. Stupid me.

It could, for all we know. Nobody ever expected it to last over a decade with nearly 600 episodes, after all. Let's just say I wouldn't be surprised for it to last eight and a half more years with Ash and Pikachu.

it will they keep finding clever ways to bring it back and it is one of the best thought out amnies it will survive for a long time

A show doesn't have to be well thought out to run forever. It just needs a repetitive formula that keeps people entertained.

That will be too long! Probably up to 20 yrs! I don't want that to happen!

Last edited:
Most likely. The show hasn't been slowing down in terms of ratings, the franchise is still very popular, and I'd actually say that the show is at the best it has ever been (really since about halfway through the Battle Frontier arc). If they keep improving the writing of the show, I have no problem with it continuing.

As long as Gamefreak keeps pumping out games.

The only likely case of Ash leaving the show would be if something happened to Rica Matsumoto that prevented her from voicing him in any future episodes. The Japanese tend to remove characters when something happens to their seiyuu or they leave, but I could be totally wrong.

However, Rica is relatively still young so...

I think it will be around forever, or at least close to forever. I think Pokemon Made that Transition from Anime to Pop Culture, meaning it can go on forever and the story doesn't have to ever go anywhere...

the story doesn't have to ever go anywhere...

It'd have to go to an end! Ash'd have to become a Pokémon master by becoming a E4/Champ!
And I'd stop watching the show if they replace Ash with someone. Although that's likely, I don't want that to happen!

It'd have to go to an end! Ash'd have to become a Pokémon master by becoming a E4/Champ!
And I'd stop watching the show if they replace Ash with someone. Although that's likely, I don't want that to happen!

Actually, it's very unlikely. One of the show's producers mentioned in a recent interview that they plan to keep Satoshi as the main protagonist until the end of the series. They also said that the anime will definitely continue into the fifth generation, so if DP brings us to approximately 600 episodes (which it looks like it might), then Generation V will probably bring us up to around 800. After that, the only deciding factor is whether or not the franchise will be popular enough to warrant a sixth generation.

I think it's obvious we'll get to 1000 episodes
Seasons 1-10 are already 514 episodes (and that's not counting the 22 Chronicles episodes, all the movies and various other things that aren't regular episode/movie)

Assuming 11 is 52 that bring us to 566 already... season 12 that just began in Japan should take about 50 episodes (which fills the whole season) until the Sinnoh journey will end... so let say 566+52= 618
I'm sure we'd get another year of BF which means another 52 episodes so 670

So DP is going to take us to 670~
I think everyone agree we WILL get generation 5 and based on how it seems like each generation takes about 4 years it seems like we'll get more 208~ episodes which means by the end of gen 5 we'll have 878 episodes (if you Chronicles that's exactly 900)

So I'm sure Ash's journey will continue at least until then
After that... I don't know about Ash but Pokémon WILL continue
Pokémon forever! ^_^

Crystal Clair said:
The Japanese tend to remove characters when something happens to their seiyuu or they leave, but I could be totally wrong.

Why do people keep saying that? The Japanese have absolutely no problem with replacing their voice actors. If something were to happen to Ms. Matsumoto, the show's producers would be on the hunt for a replacement in no time.

They also said that the anime will definitely continue into the fifth generation, so if DP brings us to approximately 600 episodes (which it looks like it might),

That interview said there'd be a 5th gen (in terms of the games) but he didn't say anything about the anime. He did say Ash/Pikachu would never be replaced, but a fresh start with new continuity would officially be a different series.

Some of you are kidding yourselves that Ash will be here forever. Do you honestly think we'll be in the year 2030 and Ash's journey will still be going? Pokemon will last forever like Mario and Zelda, but that doesn't mean Ash's journey is going to continue through the year 2030.

What are you talking about, Scott? AG and DP were officially new series yet Ash stayed...
It's possible to continue Ash's journey as much as they want - even in the 43532532 generation
Since we can't know what the writers think (and that interview with ONE out of tons of people working on this anime, doesn't say much) we can't know... Ash might stay and he might leave... there's absolutely no way to know that
I think I'd like it the best if Ash and Dawn stay the permament stars with two sidekicks that will change every gen (the games' heroes) and May should be a recurring rival that appear a lot like Paul... but that's just me dreaming... here comes gen 3532 with Ash, Brock and Coordinator girly girl #3530

I mean a new series with a separate continuity, one that doesn't have any references to any of Ash's journies.

Like I said, I seriously doubt we'll be in the year 2030 and still see Ash's journey going. We will almost definitely see Ash's journey wrapped up at some point while there continues to be an anime to advertise the games with different characters.

If in 2030 this forum still exists, someone can dig up this thread and say "I told you so." lol.

This really just depends. If the show's ratings drop enough by the end of DP (which they probably wont) then they wont countinue it. As long as kids keep watching, it will go on. They can really end the show at anytime if they wanted to, but choose not to.

I dont want Pokemon to go on forever. It will just become one of those "it was cool back then, but now" things. Like Mario.

I can see it lasting past 1000 episodes.

Pokemon is, more or less, a cash cow franchise. I can see it lasting as long as series like Gundam, Dragon Ball, and Doraemon, all of which have been very long-running. Yes, the first two examples I mentioned ARE made up mostly of spinoffs, but they still exist in one form or another.

As long as there are Pokemon games, and as long as Japanese kids like Pokemon, it will exist.

The thing is most of those other franchises change their main characters, aside from the comedy shows or whatever.

Dragonball/Z/GT only lasted about 550 eps combined, which is more or less where Pokemon is now. The other funny thing is DBZ had 13 movies, and Pokemon is almost at 13 movies too.

I can see Pokemon going on for as long as the games do but Ash's story doesn't need to needlessly be dragged out forever. By the time DP ends we'll have been watching Ash for 13 or 14 years, do you really see it going on for 20 years?

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom