• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Will Pokemon Legends Arceus get DLC?

Will Legends Arceus get DLC?

• Yes

Votes: 30 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 12 28.6%

• Total voters

Bolt Strike

Bringing the Thunder
Reaction score
We just received Legends Arceus last month and it's unclear what the plan is for the rest of the year. Seeing as how for the first time in the series, we received DLC for a Pokemon game in 2020 with the Sword and Shield Expansion Pass, the option that Legends Arceus could follow suit is now on the table and could be a potential answer to what they do later in the year. Do you think Legends Arceus will get DLC? What do you think will be in the DLC?

I think it's plausible. We'll hopefully know on Pokémon day.

As for what it will be...I'd guess a new area, possibly the northeast island (where the Battle Tower is in DP).

Part of me wonders if the DLC might have a bigger emphasis on trainer battles; Arceus is weird in that it makes it easier than ever to build a competitive Pokémon but has few trainer matches and no MP battles. We're told that Kanto, at least, already seems to have developed a trainer culture.

Also an outside possibility that like Gigantimax Soup they'll be a way to "Alpha" existing Pokémon, though I'm not super confident on that.

Okay, so I definitely think we're getting DLC. This game just came out a month ago and didn't benefit from a holiday season, I think releasing DLC sometime during the year and then selling a bundle for Holiday 2022 like with SwSh makes a lot of sense to squeeze more sales out of the game.

As for what's in it, I think they'll throw in 1 or 2 new areas as well as some extra Pokemon. Specifically:

The handful of Sinnoh Dex Pokemon not in Hisui (such as the Marill line, Meditite line, Houndoom line, etc.) and the remaining 5th-7th Pokemon not available in Gen 8 yet. This should come out to about 100 extra Pokemon, which is a reasonable number relative to what's already in the game. It might feel a bit like those Pokemon should've been in the game to begin with (I certainly think so), but those Pokemon feel like natural inclusions in DLC for this game.

Not entirely sure what new areas will be added, I've seen various suggestions of areas like the Battle Zone, Almia (or more likely, the area that Almia is based on), and Sinjoh Ruins, and those all sound like viable choices and I'm not sure which would be the best. But any new area to house the above Pokemon would be great.

I definitely think we could expect a handful of extra Hisuian variants as well. They've really taken to using regional variants to help sell games, so the DLC should be no different.

I also have a bold prediction. I think Megas are returning in the DLC. Even bolder, I think we may get a handful of new ones (not nearly as many as XY and ORAS though). Megas feel like they would fit this game's theme so well. The game really shows how wild and dangerous Pokemon are, and Megas are portrayed as also being dangerous and unstable. If they can come up with a way for wild Pokemon to somehow Mega Evolve, that would really up the ante. I mean can you imagine dodging attacks from a freaking Mega Gyarados or something? That would be really intense.

Also an outside possibility that like Gigantimax Soup they'll be a way to "Alpha" existing Pokémon, though I'm not super confident on that.

What would be the point in doing this? Alpha Pokemon aren't really much different from standard Pokemon, the only differences are that they have maximum size and are guaranteed 3 ELs and some tutor moves. It's not like Gigantamax where they have an entire new form and signature move that you couldn't access otherwise.

I'd assume it will. I don't know to what extent the DLC will be, but...we'll definitely be having more visitors from present-day right?

An expansion with more battling would be nice too.
I've said this before but the Battle Zone, Iron Island, and the formation of the Pokemon League are all good options for DLC.

If sword and shield did then surely

Would love to see it, hopefully they can take their time with it and make more unique areas

I would love if it did get dlc. I feel they left Arceus role a little bare outside of him sending you to Hisui. He doesn't even explain why he does. Yeah sure to stop Volo, but why send someone to the past and not just
A. Ask Ingo who is also from the future if he needed a pokemon trainer
B. Stop Volo himself
C. Calm Dialga/palkia himself

I feel these could be explained and we get to have a small journey on another island chasing down Volo. This dude made the biggest 180 between 2 scenes, going from swearing he'll do this no matter how many centuries it'll take, to "OH you caught Giratina he's good now, complete the pokedex k bye." Laventon in game doesn't even buy it. So I do feel this is even set up in the players head that Volo isn't really done. Also does Cynthia know she's kind of following in his footsteps by investigating myths? She's clearly good, she sees giratina in platinum and has no "Volo" moment with it (clearly he didn't exist but I'm saying to stay consistent she can't suddenly turn evil the next time we see her) So is his promise to change the world an empty threat his descendants just don't follow through on...

Unless...Cyrus is Volos descendant and Cynthia is Cyllenes!

Now that said, I doubt it'll get dlc. They will likely move onto gen 9 soon, but I hope not. It will be too rushed, but at the same time Ohmori was mysteriously missing on LA credit roll, hint hint nudge nudge.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I do feel this is even set up in the players head that Volo isn't really done. Also does Cynthia know she's kind of following in his footsteps by investigating myths? She's clearly good, she sees giratina in platinum and has no "Volo" moment with it (clearly he didn't exist but I'm saying to stay consistent she can't suddenly turn evil the next time we see her) So is his promise to change the world an empty threat his descendants just don't follow through on...

Why would the descendants have to follow the same path and destiny as their remote ancestors? Most of the correlations between the characters of Legends and the current world of Pokémon there are more as references, easter eggs, for the player, and not because the destinies of people of the past and the future are irreparably intertwined.

I would love if it did get dlc. I feel they left Arceus role a little bare outside of him sending you to Hisui. He doesn't even explain why he does. Yeah sure to stop Volo, but why send someone to the past and not just
B. Stop Volo himself

I feel these could be explained and we get to have a small journey on another island chasing down Volo. This dude made the biggest 180 between 2 scenes, going from swearing he'll do this no matter how many centuries it'll take, to "OH you caught Giratina he's good now, complete the pokedex k bye." Laventon in game doesn't even buy it. So I do feel this is even set up in the players head that Volo isn't really done. Also does Cynthia know she's kind of following in his footsteps by investigating myths? She's clearly good, she sees giratina in platinum and has no "Volo" moment with it (clearly he didn't exist but I'm saying to stay consistent she can't suddenly turn evil the next time we see her) So is his promise to change the world an empty threat his descendants just don't follow through on...

Now that said, I doubt it'll get dlc. They will likely move onto gen 9 soon, but I hope not. It will be too rushed, but at the same time Ohmori was mysteriously missing on LA credit roll, hint hint nudge nudge.
Cynthia and Cyrus might be both descendants of Volos and Cyllene. They would be fairly distant cousins. In a future DLC , it might be revealed that Giratina, and not Volos, is the boss in their relationship. Volos himself says that he started on this path after Giratina gave him the spooky plate. So, Volos did evil things because of Giratina, not the other way around like usually happens in pokemon games/anime.

If Giratina really wants to beat arceus , the most intelligent thing it could do is to let you catch it . It Knows Arceus will appear to you if you catch all the pokemon. So, it pretends to be a good pokemon for you bring it in your team to defeat arceus. I dont think Volos gave up on his search for Arceus either, so he might aproach Cyllene, or maybe Cyllene´s daugther, since Cyllene herself seens to be too smart and too old to have some kind of relationship with Volos. Volos starts to date Cyllene´s daughter to gather information about Arceus and the pokedex. They have a kid, and this kid is the common ancestor of both Cyrus and Cynthia.

B. Stop Volo himself

Spoiler bro.

Arceus explicitly mentions that he sends you back in time to complete the dex. Why? That's what's unclear. Perhaps having a strong trainer help Laventon complete the dex helps the people of Hisui/Sinnoh befriend Pokemon and humans and Pokemon partnering together is of great importance to history. Stopping Volo seems to be incidental.

Also, Volo pretty much implies that he's not done, and Laventon seems to think that helping us catch Giratina is part of his new plan somehow. What that is, hard to say, he claims he didn't want to stand by while you meet Arceus and he didn't appear or was even mentioned during your reunion with Arceus and that would be the most sensible reason to help you complete the Dex. But it's pretty much confirmed that Volo isn't done yet.

Whatever the case, I don't think we'll find out any answers to this in the DLC. There doesn't seem to be any other plot elements revolving around Arceus and the Creation Trio for them to expand on. I predict that, like with SwSh's DLC, the plot will probably be side stories revolving around different Pokemon (perhaps new legendaries or new Hisuian forms of legendaries).

spoiler in-thread 16.2
Reminder to keep plot details under spoiler tags until the embargo lifts on the 28th (y)
-
I've said this before but the Battle Zone, Iron Island, and the formation of the Pokemon League are all good options for DLC.
Or even just the Battle Zone tbh. It'd be a good opportunity to add missing Pokemon from modern Sinnoh (Girafarig, Wingull/Pelipper, Feebas/Milotic, Absol, etc) as well. Maybe even Darkrai or Shaymin for players without SwSh/BDSP.

DLC will almost certainly not continue the story unless they're gated off to the postgame, which I do not find likely.
Or even just the Battle Zone tbh. It'd be a good opportunity to add missing Pokemon from modern Sinnoh (Girafarig, Wingull/Pelipper, Feebas/Milotic, Absol, etc) as well. Maybe even Darkrai or Shaymin for players without SwSh/BDSP.
Last part is doubtful, there's no incentive to unlock that content and lots of in$$$entive to keep it locked. Agreed on adding the missing Sinnoh Dex Pokemon (establish them as invasive to Hisui from the Battle Zone's region?), and probably the last batch of Pokemon not currently available in Gen VIII.

It definitely seems more likely than BDSP postgame. New zones in that would feel boring because of the graphical limitations (unless they are Johto or Hoenn zones, but that's highly unlikely) and Platinum content would be very controversial.

Regarding the content of Legends DLC, I think one area with 60 new Pokemon seems reasonable, with all evolution phases being catchable and Pokemon from other areas being more common it would have enough content. Battle Zone would be the most logical, but I think Western Sinnoh is also an option, including Eterna City, Eterna Forest, Fuego Ironworks and Iron Island.

Regarding the content of Legends DLC, I think one area with 60 new Pokemon seems reasonable, with all evolution phases being catchable and Pokemon from other areas being more common it would have enough content. Battle Zone would be the most logical, but I think Western Sinnoh is also an option, including Eterna City, Eterna Forest, Fuego Ironworks and Iron Island.
It's almost like there's two big areas to set two expansions in and sell for $30 like in Sword and Shield that they've left for themselves :p

I would be very, very surprised if there's no DLC, and I would be almost as surprised if it doesn't feature the Battle Zone. I'm anticipating jungle and desert areas.

I'm not quite sure if we'll get a desert area seeing as Crimson Mirelands is kind of like one (it's not quite a desert, but it is very sandy and rocky and looks an awful lot like one). A jungle would be cool though, I would maintain that we don't truly have one in the main series. Lush Jungle is technically a jungle, but it doesn't feel like one, it just feels like a glorified forest. I want to see a jungle area that has wild and colorful flora and exotic, tropical Pokemon (such as Aipom, Chatot, Carnivine, and Toucannon). That would be an amazing addition to the game.

What if one of the camps actually turn into a small village? I bring this up because the Security Corps member who is given a Wurmple will eventually tell you he heard that one of the campsites will turn into a settlement.

I think that would be an interesting thing--probably to have some sort of "hub city" for the DLC. Makes sense!

I don't really see much point in doing that, especially if there's new areas. You'd want a new "hub city" to actually take place in those new areas, not an existing area.

I think the mention of one of the camps turning into a village is just a lore tidbit to reference how some of the existing cities started out. As I mentioned in the Hisui in Relation to Present Day Sinnoh thread, some of the camps do seem to be in areas that might correspond to some of the cities in the present, so there may actually have been more than one of those and the one he's referencing is just the first.

Whatever the case, I don't think the DLC will expand on that. I think they'll focus on completely new areas not presently in the game.

I'm not quite sure if we'll get a desert area seeing as Crimson Mirelands is kind of like one (it's not quite a desert, but it is very sandy and rocky and looks an awful lot like one). A jungle would be cool though, I would maintain that we don't truly have one in the main series. Lush Jungle is technically a jungle, but it doesn't feel like one, it just feels like a glorified forest. I want to see a jungle area that has wild and colorful flora and exotic, tropical Pokemon (such as Aipom, Chatot, Carnivine, and Toucannon). That would be an amazing addition to the game.

Crimson Mirelands is clearly a swampy area. Sure, there are some areas that are drier than others, but the majority of it is wetlands, complete with massive mud puddles, rivers and ponds. Other than sharing some similar landscape colors, it feels like the opposite of a desert. Even the Pokémon tend to be based on things you’d expect to find in a marsh.

I think a desert zone is more likely than a jungle, mainly because its a biome that doesn’t have any real representation in Hisui. Both Crimson Mirelands and Cobalt Coastland have elements of traditional jungle themes (Mirelands has the swampy, poisonous vibe, and Coastlands has the vibrant tones, along with monkeys, parrots and volcanos that are prominent in stereotypical representations of jungles). Also, present day Sinnoh has a couple of desert-like areas.

Of course, as that famous young priestess in a taco shell commercial once posited “why not both?!”. I just hope that any DLC has includes Sinjoh, and maybe some more underground caverns.

Back
Top Bottom