• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Will Pokemon Legends Arceus get DLC?

Will Legends Arceus get DLC?

• Yes

Votes: 30 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 12 28.6%

• Total voters
Actually Johto remakes are next if we’re staying in order of release. The same way they did LGPE after ORAS, because FRLG came after RS. Logically, Johto remakes are next since we just got Sinnoh remakes, and HGSS came after DPPl.
That makes little sense. They quite clearly made LGPE as a one-off to cash in on a renewed Kanto craze during Gen 7 and to begin integrating Pokémon GO with the mainline series, not because they just so happened to make FRLG after RS over ten years ago. And LGPE is a Yellow remake, not a FRLG remake. I think you're very much barking up the wrong trail with this discussion.

That makes little sense. They quite clearly made LGPE as a one-off to cash in on a renewed Kanto craze during Gen 7 and to begin integrating Pokémon GO with the mainline series, not because they just so happened to make FRLG after RS over ten years ago. And LGPE is a Yellow remake, not a FRLG remake. I think you're very much barking up the wrong trail with this discussion.
Nah this is actually a pretty common consensus in general remake discussions. They can't just indefinitely abandon a region like Johto, every region will get remade again and again in approximately the order they came out in and were remade in, I say approximately because I don't doubt that the pattern could be broken eventually (for example, a Kalos revisit coming after SV would make sense, since like Johto is to Kanto, it's directly adjacent to the new region), but I just don't think that pattern will happen now to Johto.

Also, never said LGPE was a FRLG remake,
The same way they did LGPE after ORAS, because FRLG came after RS. Logically, Johto remakes are next since we just got Sinnoh remakes, and HGSS came after DPPl.
it doesn't matter what game is being remade, I'm more so referring to the region being remade. Kanto has been remade twice, at gaps of 8 years (1996-2004) and 14 years (2004-2018). Johto was remade at a gap of 11 years (1998-2009), Hoenn was remade at a gap of 12 years (2002-2014), and finally Sinnoh was remade at a gap of 15 years (2006-2021). The general pattern is a remake every 11-15 years. I tend to exclude FRLG from this number because in my opinion they rushed out a Kanto remake way sooner than they needed to solely to reintroduce all existing Pokemon into Gen 3. The original Kanto games were still playable on the remake's system, another thing that none of the other remakes share in common. I don't think a >10 year remake will ever happen again (although I wouldn't exclude the possibility either), so 11-15 years is probably a pretty good estimate for trying to predict when each and every region will get remade again. Johto was last remade in 2009 for Japan and 2010 for the west, that means we're currently sitting at 13 years since the last new release that focused on the Johto region.

It is well within the deduced pattern for Johto remakes to be next on the list. They reinforced this pattern by remaking Kanto yet again when everyone was doing exactly what you're doing but about Sinnoh and claiming Kanto won't get remade and Sinnoh would.

Don't believe me? Let's throwback to when I correctly predicted Kanto remakes on an old remake discussion here, regarding when everyone was wondering what the first game on the Switch would be and I correctly predicted that they would be Kanto remakes. I used to get into A LOT of debates with people on the remake discussion threads where I was one of the only, if not THE only person saying Kanto will be remade before Sinnoh, guess who was right?
I'll be that one guy that pushes for a Yellow remake, thanks.
Oh my God I even correctly predicted that it would be a Yellow remake LOL I forgot that part.

Claiming Johto will get skipped for Unova, just as everyone claimed Kanto would get skipped for Sinnoh, is probably what you would call...
barking up the wrong trail
It's not going to happen bro, they aren't going to just ditch one of their old school nostalgia regions. It's nonsensical to assume they will when they haven't done that yet 9 Generations in, considering historical trends and patterns as well as correct predictions side with me, and I'd be more than happy to quote tweet this exact comment in a couple years when these types of discussions pop up again and I need to bring up how I correctly predicted Johto remakes. I've been around bulbagarden since HGSS were new bro, I'd like to think I know what I'm talking about and I've often been right about remakes. I remember correctly predicting Hoenn remakes as well (although that one, unlike Kanto and Johto re-remakes, was absolutely obvious so it's not worth enough clout for me to dig it up and include proof on that one, you'll just have to trust me about that fact as well as the fact that like 90% of the community figured Hoenn remakes were next after XY. However what we were all wrong about was Pokemon Z, Game Freak's ultimate mistake is and will always be not going through with Z (evidence does point to it being in development and then being scrapped though).

LGPE wasn't a "one-off cash grab" that will never be repeated again, maybe the whole GO mechanics/Let's Go naming won't be repeated, but I never said they would. I just said they'd remake Johto. Personally I think they'll use the Let's Go graphical engine but with more traditional game mechanics, since they can reuse all of the Kanto assets for a Johto remake, making it a relatively low-effort game compared to other title like SwSh, LA, or SV, more on the level of BDSP if anything.

Also earlier this year Pokemon GO literally had a worldwide event called The Pokemon Go Tour: Johto, that had Mt. Silver and other Johto-themed Challenges involved. So actually I retract my previous statement, a GO-themed main series remake release is certainly within the cards given recent GO events.

Everything presented above is clear irrefutable evidence that points to a Johto remake in any capacity, traditional or GO-style, that's an undeniable fact. You don't have to like that it is, but it is.

My best guess is that Johto remakes have already been planned and have begun development, the reason why they wanted to push SV so soon after BDSP and LA is because the Johto remakes are being crammed out for a holiday 2023 or 2024 release. Given Pokemon GO only had their Johto-themed event this year, this is extremely likely. The days of Game Freak skipping a year are over, there WILL be a 2023 game or it'll get pushed to 2024 and 2023 will have SV DLC, they wouldn't have began outsourcing games like BDSP and parts of LA just to quit utilizing these production avenues that make them more than capable of cranking out a game every year no problem. They even went on a pretty well-documented hiring spree a few years back so they've expanded considerably since the Switch launched.

Last edited:
Pausing my hiatus to say that we getting another pair of Johto remakes is unlikely. Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee are remakes of Yellow.

I included a whole essay of reasons as to why this is simply false. It's actually very likely from a marketing and chronological standpoint. They've put themselves into a very efficient pattern that let's them re-release old content with a new coat of paint every decade or so, which is extremely easy money for them. There is no business reason for them not to do this. They can reuse assets from other games and recreate an old game on a very low budget but sell the same amount of games or more vs. a high budget game. That's not to say the quality of the game is worse (although it could be), I'm just saying that it takes a lot less money to remake an old game than to create a brand new game from scratch. They have never not remade a main series game about 10-15 years after it's original release and they even remade a popular spin-off in about this same time frame, with Mystery Dungeon DX.

Johto remakes are GUARANTEED by 2025 and I'll bet anybody $1000 on that lol

I included a whole essay of reasons as to why this is simply false. It's actually very likely from a marketing and chronological standpoint. They've put themselves into a very efficient pattern that let's them re-release old content with a new coat of paint every decade or so, which is extremely easy money for them. There is no business reason for them not to do this. They can reuse assets from other games and recreate an old game on a very low budget but sell the same amount of games or more vs. a high budget game. That's not to say the quality of the game is worse (although it could be), I'm just saying that it takes a lot less money to remake an old game than to create a brand new game from scratch. They have never not remade a main series game about 10-15 years after it's original release and they even remade a popular spin-off in about this same time frame, with Mystery Dungeon DX.

Johto remakes are GUARANTEED by 2025 and I'll bet anybody $1000 on that lol
FireRed and LeafGreen are 17 years old, and Yellow is 23 years old. And if you believe their reason for making stuff is money, then explain the following interview exerpt:

Translation by Dr Lava, by the way.
[…]“After that you went back to making nothing but Pokemon games until you released HarmoKnight in 2012.”

Masuda: “That was the first title to come out of our new Gear Project system. I came up with the idea myself at some point, but gave up on it mid-development.”

“I suppose that sort of thing can happen sometimes.”

Masuda: “We’ll think something’s really interesting during the planning stage, then mid-development we’ll realize: ‘Huh, turns out this isn’t actually fun.’ But sometimes other things will seem boring in the planning stage, but after we make it, we realize it IS fun. That kind of thing happens a lot, and it’s those kinds of situations that led us to create the Gear Project. Game Freak members can submit as many ideas as they want for the planning stage, and we don’t judge them. It’s after the testing phase when we’ve actually made those ideas playable that we determine if it’s good or not. Letting people freely make what they wanna make encourages morale and creativity.”

“The Gear Project led to titles like Tembo the Badass Elephant and Giga Wrecker releasing on Steam. Pokemon fans must be surprised when they see you announce a new platformer.”

Masuda: “Yeah they’re pretty different. I’d say only 1 out of 50 Pokemon fans end up playing them. I’ve tried telling them ‘please try this one out,’ but it just didn’t seem to stick. We also started official Twitter and YouTube accounts last year. We’ve been putting more effort into promoting our games and sharing information about them. Before we mostly just focused on development and didn’t think too much about promotion, but now we’re taking that part seriously too. So with that said — Game Freak fans, please subscribe to our channel!…….. We actually just uploaded a new video to the official channel yesterday. I always ask people to subscribe, but maybe the way I was shouting it out was too intense (laughs). Seriously though, please watch the video.”

Dr Lava notes: There’s another Game Freak interview in this Famitsu issue, featuring Shigeru Ohmori, Kazumasa Iwao, Masayuki Onoue, and Masafumi Saito. I’ll probably publish it at a later date, but it’s sort of a low priority since they mostly talk about Game Freak’s non-Pokemon games. But I’ll summarize part of that interview here to help explain what the Gear Project is. Game Freak divides themselves into two separate teams, and Team 1 has a system in place that they call the Gear Project — which essentially means any team member can pitch an idea to the higher-ups and have their ideas listened to, so long as two other team members support their idea. They say quite clearly that Gear Project only pertains to Team 1, and it’s not used in Team 2.

In another interview, Masayuki Onoue explained how Game Freak’s focus has shifted away from Pokemon games in recent years, and towards creating new IP. He said: “There are two different production teams here, simply named Production Team 1 and Production Team 2. Team 1 is fully dedicated to Gear Project, while Team 2 is for the Pokemon operation. What that means is that Game Freak as a company is prioritizing Gear Project, which is production team number one, more than Pokémon in general. We are always trying to create something that is equally exciting, or more exciting than Pokémon.”

This insight into Game Freak’s priorities is probably why this Famitsu interview header is “Starting the Gear Project Without Letting Pokemon’s Popularity Go to Waste.” Game Freak doesn’t want to give up all the money Pokemon brings in, but it seems they’ve lost a lot of their enthusiasm over the past 25 years. And not only because they’re tired for the reasons you could expect anyone to get tired of doing the same thing for so long. Nintendo, the Pokemon Company, and various other partners are large shareholders in the Pokemon brand, which means Game Freak doesn’t have full creative control. Nor do they have financial control — a lot of the profits Pokemon generates have to be divvied up among those partners. On the other hand, they do have full creative and financial ownership when it comes to new IP. They’re probably hoping one of their new IP will become popular one day, so they can make a series out of it. But unfortunately for Game Freak, none of their non-Pokemon games have been particularly successful thus far… well, except for Yoshi back in 1991.

I’m sure it’s frustrating for modern day Pokemon fans to hear, but Game Freak’s higher-ups have been pretty clear on this topic on multiple occasions. Pokemon is handled by Team 2, while all their other games are developed by Team 1. And Team 1 is the priority. Their motivations are understandable… but disappointing, to say the least.

FireRed and LeafGreen are 17 years old, and Yellow is 23 years old. And if you believe their reason for making stuff is money, then explain the following interview exerpt:

Translation by Dr Lava, by the way.
[…]“After that you went back to making nothing but Pokemon games until you released HarmoKnight in 2012.”

Masuda: “That was the first title to come out of our new Gear Project system. I came up with the idea myself at some point, but gave up on it mid-development.”

“I suppose that sort of thing can happen sometimes.”

Masuda: “We’ll think something’s really interesting during the planning stage, then mid-development we’ll realize: ‘Huh, turns out this isn’t actually fun.’ But sometimes other things will seem boring in the planning stage, but after we make it, we realize it IS fun. That kind of thing happens a lot, and it’s those kinds of situations that led us to create the Gear Project. Game Freak members can submit as many ideas as they want for the planning stage, and we don’t judge them. It’s after the testing phase when we’ve actually made those ideas playable that we determine if it’s good or not. Letting people freely make what they wanna make encourages morale and creativity.”

“The Gear Project led to titles like Tembo the Badass Elephant and Giga Wrecker releasing on Steam. Pokemon fans must be surprised when they see you announce a new platformer.”

Masuda: “Yeah they’re pretty different. I’d say only 1 out of 50 Pokemon fans end up playing them. I’ve tried telling them ‘please try this one out,’ but it just didn’t seem to stick. We also started official Twitter and YouTube accounts last year. We’ve been putting more effort into promoting our games and sharing information about them. Before we mostly just focused on development and didn’t think too much about promotion, but now we’re taking that part seriously too. So with that said — Game Freak fans, please subscribe to our channel!…….. We actually just uploaded a new video to the official channel yesterday. I always ask people to subscribe, but maybe the way I was shouting it out was too intense (laughs). Seriously though, please watch the video.”

Dr Lava notes: There’s another Game Freak interview in this Famitsu issue, featuring Shigeru Ohmori, Kazumasa Iwao, Masayuki Onoue, and Masafumi Saito. I’ll probably publish it at a later date, but it’s sort of a low priority since they mostly talk about Game Freak’s non-Pokemon games. But I’ll summarize part of that interview here to help explain what the Gear Project is. Game Freak divides themselves into two separate teams, and Team 1 has a system in place that they call the Gear Project — which essentially means any team member can pitch an idea to the higher-ups and have their ideas listened to, so long as two other team members support their idea. They say quite clearly that Gear Project only pertains to Team 1, and it’s not used in Team 2.

In another interview, Masayuki Onoue explained how Game Freak’s focus has shifted away from Pokemon games in recent years, and towards creating new IP. He said: “There are two different production teams here, simply named Production Team 1 and Production Team 2. Team 1 is fully dedicated to Gear Project, while Team 2 is for the Pokemon operation. What that means is that Game Freak as a company is prioritizing Gear Project, which is production team number one, more than Pokémon in general. We are always trying to create something that is equally exciting, or more exciting than Pokémon.”

This insight into Game Freak’s priorities is probably why this Famitsu interview header is “Starting the Gear Project Without Letting Pokemon’s Popularity Go to Waste.” Game Freak doesn’t want to give up all the money Pokemon brings in, but it seems they’ve lost a lot of their enthusiasm over the past 25 years. And not only because they’re tired for the reasons you could expect anyone to get tired of doing the same thing for so long. Nintendo, the Pokemon Company, and various other partners are large shareholders in the Pokemon brand, which means Game Freak doesn’t have full creative control. Nor do they have financial control — a lot of the profits Pokemon generates have to be divvied up among those partners. On the other hand, they do have full creative and financial ownership when it comes to new IP. They’re probably hoping one of their new IP will become popular one day, so they can make a series out of it. But unfortunately for Game Freak, none of their non-Pokemon games have been particularly successful thus far… well, except for Yoshi back in 1991.

I’m sure it’s frustrating for modern day Pokemon fans to hear, but Game Freak’s higher-ups have been pretty clear on this topic on multiple occasions. Pokemon is handled by Team 2, while all their other games are developed by Team 1. And Team 1 is the priority. Their motivations are understandable… but disappointing, to say the least.
What’s your point? Kanto was originally introduced in 1996, remade in 2004, and again in 2018. That all fits the established pattern perfectly. It’s really not all that hard of a concept to grasp. The notion that Game Freak will just arbitrarily ignore the existence of Johto indefinitely and never revisit the region ever again is absurd lol

At this point, I myself doubt we'll get a Johto remake in the style of LGPE, but I don't see why it can't get the Sinnoh treatment? The way I see it, it'd probably be faithful traditional Crystal remakes split in 2 while we get a Legends Celebi or whatever sometime after.

Pausing my hiatus to say that we getting another pair of Johto remakes is unlikely. Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee are remakes of Yellow.

Why does LGPE being remakes of Yellow make a Johto remake unlikely? If anything, it suggests they can remake Crystal into two games.

Either way, there's also the nods to Johto in LGPE, and playing GSC or HGSS wouldn't serve as a very good substitute since they're not made in line with modern games.

I see another Johto game as unlikely when they introduced the Galarian Birds, there's really no point in making a game for them if they already get forms outside of their debut regions. The Beast trio getting a new form of some sort would further make it unlikely because now the only legendaries worthy of getting new forms at this point would be Ho-oh and Lugia, but I see that as unlikely for one reason: there will never be a generation in which every single of its debut legendary Pokemon get some sort of usable form, at least not in the foreseeable future.

I see another Johto game as unlikely when they introduced the Galarian Birds, there's really no point in making a game for them if they already get forms outside of their debut regions. The Beast trio getting a new form of some sort would further make it unlikely because now the only legendaries worthy of getting new forms at this point would be Ho-oh and Lugia, but I see that as unlikely for one reason: there will never be a generation in which every single of its debut legendary Pokemon get some sort of usable form, at least not in the foreseeable future.
not all remakes give the legendaries new forms. in fact, ORAS is the only remake that did that. also, wtf do the birds have to do with johto?

not all remakes give the legendaries new forms. in fact, ORAS is the only remake that did that. also, wtf do the birds have to do with johto?
Because every Johto game had Kanto as the post-game, which is the bird's debut region.

If it wasn't for Legend Arceus, Dialga and Palkia would've gotten new forms in BDSP.

Because every Johto game had Kanto as the post-game, which is the bird's debut region.

If it wasn't for Legend Arceus, Dialga and Palkia would've gotten new forms in BDSP.
you really think that the game that didn't even bother including the regional forms that already existed would add new regional forms for any of its pokemon? lol the game was faithful to a fault.

also, the original johto games didn't even have the legendary birds

you really think that the game that didn't even bother including the regional forms that already existed would add new regional forms for any of its pokemon? lol the game was faithful to a fault.

also, the original johto games didn't even have the legendary birds
That's only the finished product and trailers point of view, if BDSP had a different direction on how it was being developed with all of those included, then yeah, it wouldn't have been as faithful as it was if Legends Arceus was never thought of for development.

Nope since Scarlet and Violet are being released this year and i doubt Gamefreak wants to waste resources on something that will get overshadowed by the release of a new generation.

And on the topic of more Let's Go games, i hope not. The Let's Go are the crystalized form of every bad practice that Gamefreak has indulged in the last two generations: lack of content, next to no difficulty (on a series that wasn't very hard to begin with) and simplification of a series that was already pretty simple to begin with. It didn't even had pokemon from the generation after the first beyond regional forms and Mega Evolutions. Even FRLG had post-Gen 1 pokemon, even if in the postgame. And Gamefreak had the gall to ask for 60 bucks for the Let's Go games.

Nope since Scarlet and Violet are being released this year and i doubt Gamefreak wants to waste resources on something that will get overshadowed by the release of a new generation.

And on the topic of more Let's Go games, i hope not. The Let's Go are the crystalized form of every bad practice that Gamefreak has indulged in the last two generations: lack of content, next to no difficulty (on a series that wasn't very hard to begin with) and simplification of a series that was already pretty simple to begin with. It didn't even had pokemon from the generation after the first beyond regional forms and Mega Evolutions. Even FRLG had post-Gen 1 pokemon, even if in the postgame. And Gamefreak had the gall to ask for 60 bucks for the Let's Go games.

I said as the game after SV... What else do you think they'd do? Sequels, maybe? DLC would be more likely than any sequels. But after we get the third version/sequel/DLC out of the way, then what? They won't do Gen 10 2 years after Gen 9. Gen 10 will most likely be 2026 on the 30th anniversary of Pokemon, this is probably the most for-sure prediction I can give you. That means they have games they could release for 2023, 2024, and/or 2025. They COULD do Unova remakes, but that would mean skipping over Johto, and as of BDSP they have never skipped a region in release order for remakes, they even gave Kanto it's second set of remakes in release order (FRLG came after RS but before DP, the same way LGPE comes after ORAS but before BDSP. Next is a second set of Johto remakes, then Unova, then Kalos, and then a second set of Hoenn remakes.

I honestly don't care which games will be remade next. It's Legends Celebi I want, and that's really independent of any ILCA project.

Back
Top Bottom