• The Anime and Manga staff has posted a PSA regarding Go and how we'll handle future cases involving him from now onwards.

We strongly recommend checking out this thread.

Thank you in advance.
  • All content from the former Roleplaying Games forum has been merged into the Writers' Workshop forum. You can find more information in this thread.

We hope to see you roleplaying away soon!
  • The World Beyond Restructure is now finished! Check out the update here!
  • The 2020 staff drive for Bulbagarden is now live! If you're interested in joining the Bulbagarden staff team (whether it be forums, social media, or more!) then you're encouraged to apply!
  • It's time for the Writer's Workshop Summer event: our second themed one-shot competition! Check out the sign-up thread here!
  • Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters!

Will Riolu become the new Ash-Greninja?

Reaction score
It’s not the same as Cubone and Marowak. You can’t get Kantonian Marowak in Alola. You can get normal Lucario in Galar. Kubfu already has 2 evolutions on introduction, whereas we know Riolu only evolved into one thing in Galar. If Riolu evolved in Galar at night it would've done it in Sword/Shield.
with item or location? in my opinion taking other galar forms...

Bookworm
Reaction score
It would be interesting if they chose to make Lucario his ace while ignoring Ash-Greninja. Are they trying to dethrone Greninja as the most popular Pokémon?

Why else would they start to advertise Lucario now when they haven't in the past despite how popular it has been since Gen 4? Lucario doesn't advertise the new region and it is probably "too new" to appeal to people who only like Kanto since these groups seem to be the target audience for this series.

Personally I like Lucario's design but I think it's a little too late to advertise it now while the Galar Pokémon get almost no screentime.

If they want to advertise old regions other than Kanto they could always bring back some of his old aces for the tournament.

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
Why else would they start to advertise Lucario now when they haven't in the past despite how popular it has been since Gen 4?
One major trainer per series has featured a Lucario ever since it was introduced, though. They’re probably trying to feature popular Pokémon irrespective of region. Kanto gets the large end of the stick due to... well, being Kanto and most popular Pokémon are from Kanto.

Ash isn’t using his reserves right now since they also need to show some development on screen. Relegating all non-Kanto representation to reserves would basically mean a lot of "Ash trained this when you weren’t born, it’s in his main party now". They can show the development of the present team on screen, and feature reserves later in the series if they decide to do so.

Bookworm
Reaction score
I guess one positive thing about Riolu is that it is not fully evolved yet. I think Satoshi is catching too many fully evolved Pokémon right now which feels a little strange to do so early in the series.

Riolu is probably more likely to be the ace than the already fully evolved Pokémon since there is more room to grow.

But wouldn't it be neat to see Satoshi's old aces beat the champions of their home regions?

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
But wouldn't it be neat to see Satoshi's old aces beat the champions of their home regions?
It would be neat, but I fear they do the same old Charizard and few others routine. I want to see the Pokémon that have been ignored: looking at Johto Pokémon there. And the Sinnoh and Unova teams, who haven’t been featured even once outside their series.

For the "ace" role, we also have Sobble coming in, so we'll have to look at its dynamics too.

Reaction score
I hope they let riolu not evolve and let it for gen 9 stay at the lab and it gains a new evolutionary method then to make it more special, lucario is cool but there is so much more potenial here

the amount of fully evolved pokemon is for the battle with Leon only... or they plan to Ash trade those in future somehow or end his journey to allow a other new trainer a start and it wont be Go

More interesting will be if Ash catches a kubfu and will chose what Urshifu he want's then... or if Ash friends or rival could have those and evolve them and use those in the anime against him?