• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Will Riolu become the new Ash-Greninja?

Honestly, I think if any of Ash's Pokemon gets the Ash-Greninja treatment, it might be Inteleon (let's be real, that preview pretty much confirms he's getting a Sobble and I'm sure the writers will have it evolve into an Inteleon). I don't know, I just think one of the newer Pokemon in the franchise has the best shot of getting that treatment compared to older mons and even though I don't like Sobble's evolutions all that much compared to Sobble itself, I think Ash and Inteleon would have quite the bond that allows this Pokemon to do some amazing things. I could be wrong though and I probably will be wrong since this is basically just a prediction, but we'll see.

Honestly, I think if any of Ash's Pokemon gets the Ash-Greninja treatment, it might be Inteleon (let's be real, that preview pretty much confirms he's getting a Sobble and I'm sure the writers will have it evolve into an Inteleon). I don't know, I just think one of the newer Pokemon in the franchise has the best shot of getting that treatment compared to older mons and even though I don't like Sobble's evolutions all that much compared to Sobble itself, I think Ash and Inteleon would have quite the bond that allows this Pokemon to do some amazing things. I could be wrong though and I probably will be wrong since this is basically just a prediction, but we'll see.

Unlike with Greninja, the starters already got a special form for the starters this generation in G-Max. I wouldn't imagine them doing anything special with Sobble besides having the G-Max form. Also, aren't they kinda promoting the Scorbunny line more with it being Gou's starter?

Unlike with Greninja, the starters already got a special form for the starters this generation in G-Max. I wouldn't imagine them doing anything special with Sobble besides having the G-Max form. Also, aren't they kinda promoting the Scorbunny line more with it being Gou's starter?
Yeah, but that's not to say the writers won't do anything special with Sobble or its evolutions. If Ash really does get a Sobble and it becomes an Inteleon, I can definitely see it having the G-max form. If you ask me, that would be pretty special. A scared little lizard evolves into a confident and powerful water sniper.

Yeah, but that's not to say the writers won't do anything special with Sobble or its evolutions. If Ash really does get a Sobble and it becomes an Inteleon, I can definitely see it having the G-max form. If you ask me, that would be pretty special. A scared little lizard evolves into a confident and powerful water sniper.

Ah, I thought you were talking about something like the Ash-Greninja form or Infernape's Blaze. My bad!

It makes no sense for a Pokemon in the base game that didn't have one, to have one in the DLC
Well, the Galar starters don't have Gigantamax forms in the base games either, while they will get one in the DLC. (Although we haven't learned yet how it will actually work. You could have to catch a new "special" starter Pokemon in the DLC or your own starter could get Gigantamax automatically. If the latter is true, Riolu/Lucario could get it that way, too)

Anyways, the rules for the games don't necessarily have to apply to the Anime. If I remember correctly, Ash-Geninja wasn't available in the games, until after it had been introduced in the show. So, I think the writer could as well pull off "their own thing" regardless of the games

Don't think so but watch Lucario get a Gigantamax form and Ash will be the one to use it.

Oh I'm like 80% sure that Gigantamax Lucario is coming it just seems so inevitable because Lucario has always been one of those Pokemon that has to get all sorts of goodies that most other Pokemon never receive. Mega Evolving wasn't enough, now it's gonna have to get really big and it'll probably look outrageous.

This situation, right here, is exactly why I didn't want to see Ash get that Pokémon. I hated how bloody absurd the writing got with Ash-Greninja, and we have seen overexposed Lucario owned by supporting characters. I for one don't trust them when it comes to a main character's Lucario, let alone the main character's one.

I will be annoyed if Inteleon does the same thing as Greninja. This is what made me switch to Team Chespin back then, I'd rather not have to seek the haven of my second pick again.

Ash-Greninja? Who?
Ash-Pikachu? Who?
Ash-Lucario? Who?

Now introducing the one and only Ash-Beautifly, the ultimate Bond Phenomenon.

ipfc7woxjvt41.jpg

that or maybe Galarian Riolu gains a new evolution totally different then Lucario?
we don't know where the egg comes from and if it realy evolves in what we think...

a fighting/ghost aura spirit pokemon anyone? or fighting/fairy?

Aura was a greek nymph by the way...

taking that something is in the air with the expansion passes... the wushu legendary is dark/fighting and water/fighting...

the dex description of Lucario is Aura pokemon, a fighting/ghost or fighting/fairy evolution would be actually nice way to show it in a other direction and give it a unique Gigantamax move...

Last edited:
that or maybe Galarian Riolu gains a new evolution totally different then Lucario?
we don't know where the egg comes from and if it realy evolves in what we think...

a fighting/ghost aura spirit pokemon anyone? or fighting/fairy?

Aura was a greek nymph by the way...

taking that something is in the air with the expansion passes... the wushu legendary is dark/fighting and water/fighting...

the dex description of Lucario is Aura pokemon, a fighting/ghost or fighting/fairy evolution would be actually nice way to show it in a other direction and give it a unique Gigantamax move...

Riolu isn't getting a Galarian Form, nor evolution. Lucario is way to popular for another evolution for Riolu.

Riolu isn't getting a Galarian Form, nor evolution. Lucario is way to popular for another evolution for Riolu.

why not? maybe they think they can pull off something thats even as popular as it is... now its immune to poison, with fighting/ghost would take normal poison damage but be immune to fighting and normal and be a counterpart for Lucario... similar like slowpoke, slobro and slowking... but evolving directly from Riolu would be like Alolan Cubone to Alolan Marrowak, less problematic.

Also Riolu has a dex entry about it traveling by night... Alolan Marrowak evolves by night... similarities... come in mind.

You think that a other Riolu evolution would be less popular even if learning aura sphere and other moves?

why not? maybe they think they can pull off something thats even as popular as it is... now its immune to poison, with fighting/ghost would take normal poison damage but be immune to fighting and normal and be a counterpart for Lucario... similar like slowpoke, slobro and slowking... but evolving directly from Riolu would be like Alolan Cubone to Alolan Marrowak, less problematic.

Also Riolu has a dex entry about it traveling by night... Alolan Marrowak evolves by night... similarities... come in mind.

You think that a other Riolu evolution would be less popular even if learning aura sphere and other moves?
Riolu and Lucario are present as it is in Sword and Shield, so unlikely to get a Galar form.

And popularity isn’t related to competitive. A Pokemon can be popular but trash in competitive. Just go and look at Snom.

Is it so popular?
It ranked ridiculously high on the popularity chart, I don’t remember which rank though. It was the most obvious example I could think of.
For context, Snom might literally end up as this generation's helix fossil meme.

Pikachu has 8+ forms and still a niche choice in team building. Charizard was the least viable Kanto starter (I think?) before it had to be given 2 Megas. And now the Megas are taken away, Charizard only sees moderate use thanks to heavy duty boots.

Popular Pokémon having competitive greatness is a fairly recent phenomenon, all things considered. Earlier, popular Pokémon ran into the issue of not being that good. Things are changing with upgrades (just see Mimikyu and Naganadel), but competitive viability, again is not equal to popularity.

You could make a new Lucario variant which is somehow even more broken than Mega Lucario but it is not a guarantee that the type and ability make it popular. The design matters. In fact, it’s the only thing that matters for popularity. (At least for the anime).

Riolu and Lucario are present as it is in Sword and Shield, so unlikely to get a Galar form.

And popularity isn’t related to competitive. A Pokemon can be popular but trash in competitive. Just go and look at Snom.

the same we were thinking about Cubone... they can make a new evolution method on the island similar to the one Kubfu and Urshifu got
or through a item and by night battling.

the same we were thinking about Cubone... they can make a new evolution method on the island similar to the one Kubfu and Urshifu got
or through a item and by night battling.
It’s not the same as Cubone and Marowak. You can’t get Kantonian Marowak in Alola. You can get normal Lucario in Galar. Kubfu already has 2 evolutions on introduction, whereas we know Riolu only evolved into one thing in Galar. If Riolu evolved in Galar at night it would've done it in Sword/Shield.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom