• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Will Satoshi, Gou and Koharu join Go teams?

Reaction score
With the possibility of the Vermillion gym being a Go gym, do you think the three main characters will join a Go team?

I can see Satoshi being Instinct. It is said more than once in the show that he battles with instinct and he really does behave like a stereotypical team instinct meme. Pikachu is also electric.

Gou could be Valor, for the colours and proud personality. Scorbunny is also a fire type.

Koharu could be Mystic, since she is studious and collected. I can see her getting a more mystic pokemon eventually, or possibly already having a water pokemon.

What are Go teams?

Not everybody plays Pokemon Go, so including Go teams in the anime is dumb imo.

Go teams are teams into which the trainers are divided. They fight for the control of gyms.

Not everybody plays the main games, but stuff from the games is incorporated in a way that is not needed.

The anime this way could advertise the pokemon go.

Go teams are teams into which the trainers are divided. They fight for the control of gyms.

Not everybody plays the main games, but stuff from the games is incorporated in a way that is not needed.

There is a big difference in that the anime was created to promote the main game series. They have promoted some other games through the main anime series, mainly the Pokemon Ranger games, but they normally don't really focus that much on spin-off games.

I really hope that they aren't going in that direction. I like Pokemon Go, but I don't think that the Go Gym concept would work that well in the anime. It is a format that gives players a chance to battle each other, as well as attempt to get some in-game money, but it's pretty bare boned and I'm not sure what it would really add to the anime. Ash defending his Gym wouldn't really mean much, especially when he is supposed to be traveling through various regions throughout this series instead of staying in one spot. Plus, I don't really see why they'd want to advertise Pokemon Go. The app has been successful without much promotion from the anime and doing it now would feel kind of force. They also didn't really bother to promote Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee all that much. Aside from Lana getting Sandy and Ash getting a Meltan, those remakes barely got any attention through the anime and those were heavily inspired from Pokemon Go. If they weren't that interested in promoting a main series title with Pokemon Go elements, then I'm not sure if they'd be that interested in promoting Pokemon Go itself, especially when the app doesn't really need more promotion from the anime after being around for over three years.

I don't play Go and never want to, but I think a huge difference between Go and the main games is that the main games you are meant to imagine the Pokemon world as a world of its own and that Go is a way to play Pokémon in our world. Mixing those doesn't make sense to me, and I don't think Pokémon Go lends itself well to an animated series. I personally love imagining the Pokémon world and things about it, so mixing it with real world is something I personally don't like (such as that scene in M20) so I really hope this doesn't happen, but at the least it seems we will have to put up with frequent references to Go if the first 3 episodes are any indication.

It could work for an episode or two, but not for an entire subplot. Ash, Go and other players could realistically go to some gym in the world, defeat a Pokemon and leaving one of their powerhouses there to defend it. But I don't think I would like the idea as it would get stale very quickly. Also, while Koharu has some yellow accents on her clothes she's definitely not the competitive type, if they want to represent all teams they'll go for another character.
Plus, I don't really see why they'd want to advertise Pokemon Go. The app has been successful without much promotion from the anime and doing it now would feel kind of force. They also didn't really bother to promote Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee all that much. Aside from Lana getting Sandy and Ash getting a Meltan, those remakes barely got any attention through the anime and those were heavily inspired from Pokemon Go. If they weren't that interested in promoting a main series title with Pokemon Go elements, then I'm not sure if they'd be that interested in promoting Pokemon Go itself, especially when the app doesn't really need more promotion from the anime after being around for over three years.

I think it's the anime wanting to take advantage of the app's popularity, essentially the app is bringing viewers to the anime rather than the anime taking people to the app.

I think it's the anime wanting to take advantage of the app's popularity, essentially the app is bringing viewers to the anime rather than the anime taking people to the app.

That would make more sense given that Go is still quite successful/popular. It would still feel like strange logic when I think that most, if not all, of the elements of Pokemon Go wouldn't really fit within the anime. While Max Raid Battles definitely feel like an inspiration from Pokemon Go Raid Battles, they still made enough changes to the concept to where it felt like a pretty natural addition to the main series and worked with the game mechanics. I don't think that would work within the anime, or at least I don't think it would feel as natural.

I love it when people say "this wouldn't fit the Pokemon anime" without explaining why. I don't even play Go, but the idea of trainers banding together for certain tasks is hardly problematic and it's high time the anime did that for more than a few episodes. Let's be honest: Most fans would have scoffed at the idea of Ash staying on one island for most of SM, or traveling to all regions in a random order instead of focusing on Galar. It's good to keep an open mind.

Anyway, let's look at the team descriptions:

Team Valor relies on strength in battle. Valor's members believe that Pokémon are stronger and more warmhearted than humans and are interested in enhancing their natural power.

Team Mystic relies on analyzing every situation. Mystic's members believe that Pokémon have immeasurable wisdom and are interested in learning more about why Pokémon experience evolution.

Team Instinct relies on a trainer's instincts. Instinct's members believe that Pokémon have excellent intuition and are interested in learning more about its connection to the egg hatching process.
It's undeniable that Ash's prowess as a battler defines him best, and the extra Valor bit about believing in Pokemon's strength in kindness fits him to a tee. The way Go didn't want Ash to help Ivysaur because that would interfere with the way those Pokemon do things (that is, giving them credit for their intelligence), shows that he would probably feel at home in Team Mystic. And let's not forget that Ash and Go had a whole argument about this, so yes, the writers might want to focus on their differences and turn it into a thing.

I can't say anything about Koharu yet, but if she turns out to be anything like Brock, then Team Instinct wouldn't be tacked on her. She wouldn't have to do anything too competitive.

especially when he is supposed to be traveling through various regions throughout this series instead of staying in one spot.
How curious that Ash will constantly revisit Vermilion where the new gym is being built.

Last edited:

The majority of the Go players are casuals. They most likely don't watch the anime anyways, since the majority of the casuals who play Go are adults.

Hell no.

Introduce Sierra, Arlo, Cliff, and that one Professor guy if Go must get promotion. The three Rocket members could easily mix in, and the world has several Professors so what's the harm in another?

But the teams and those leaders.... no. Just no.

I love it when people say "this wouldn't fit the Pokemon anime" without explaining why. I don't even play Go, but the idea of trainers banding together for certain tasks is hardly problematic and it's high time the anime did that for more than a few episodes. Let's be honest: Most fans would have scoffed at the idea of Ash staying on one island for most of SM, or traveling to all regions in a random order instead of focusing on Galar. It's good to keep an open mind.
One thing I’ve noticed between this thread and the other is that while you seem to scoff at people being against the idea of this, you never really explain your perspective of why trainers would band together in essentially gang warfare much less how it would make any sense in the confines of the anime given that it functions completely differently than in Pokémon Go.

While I understand using the premises for both this and SM as examples, I don't think that those are fair comparisons. Just because SM took place primarily on one island or that this series isn't focused on Galar doesn't mean that the idea of introducing Go style Gyms is that plausible. I can't say that it's impossible, if only because I obviously don't know what the writers plan on doing with this series, but I don't think that the comparisons make that much sense. It reminds me too much of the whole "anything can happen" response to justify some pretty outlandish theories. This isn't the most outlandish theory I've heard of course, but it does feel like a bit of a stretch to me.

In case I wasn't clear about it before, the reason why I don't think that Pokemon Go style Gyms would work in the anime is because they're pretty boring. To be fair, Niantic has made improvements to Gyms over time and they offer something for players to do with their Pokemon in order to gain coins and medals, but they're pretty boring. I'm not really sure if they could translate the Go Gym format into something that fits within the anime's universe and more importantly, make it fun/engaging to watch. What would be the point of Ash and Go defending a Gym from a rival team? Why would the audience rather see them defend a Gym, something that wouldn't really give Ash a noteworthy accomplishment/title compared to a League, instead of traveling around to battle against more trainers and Pokemon than they could if they stuck to the Gym?

Silktree said:
How curious that Ash will constantly revisit Vermilion where the new gym is being built.

But is he going to spend that much time in Vermilion City? I know that his homebase is going to be there, but based on the episode summaries and titles revealed thus far, Ash and Go are going to spend more episodes traveling to different regions than staying in Vermilion City. Yeah, the Gym isn't built yet, but I'm not really sure what Ash or Go could really gained by defending a Gym as opposed to traveling to different region, especially when they are spending the first few episodes of PM doing just that.

I don't see the point of Ash staying in one place and defending a Gym when the whole point of the saga is that Ash would be traveling to all the regions.

I looked up how Pokemon Go gyms work and I don't see how that could work in the anime without major modifications.

If they did come up with some anime-workable version I doubt Ash and friends would be on different teams.

I mean, I dont think a Instinct Satoshi would stay to defend the gym, Koharu and the rest of team Mystic would and the gym would mostly be team Mystic as a reference to the game.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom