• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Will serena and Lillie make a cameo in the pokemon journeys anime series?

Yeah...Lillie not being among the SM gang feels strange, but at least they have a reason for it.

I do hope they resolve the Mohn subplot, though I won't hold my breath. With the way the TV Show discards story-lines (right, Serena?), I get the ominous feeling they might not bother...
(especially since, let's face it, Mohn is kind of boring)

Even then I'd like it to be an Ash-free episode (like how last week's almost felt like HoSo special) so that Lillie & family can get things done without Ash bailing them out. Again.

Admittedly, I don't think that the Mohn subplot being left unresolved bothered me that much. Not only because I agree that Mohn is boring, but also because it kind of fit with how they were trying to give the classmates something to do during their vacation. Most of them were already leaving Alola too, so Lillie going off to find her long lost father kind of worked with that in mind. What storyline did they discard with Serena though?

As for Serena, I don't think so. Tomiyasu is pretty big on Ash being portrayed as a real 10 year old kid to make him more relatable to the core audience. I don't think Serena's feelings really jives with the portrayal they are going for with Ash.

I don't know about that. Ten year olds having crushes isn't a stretch by any means, so I don't think it would be unrealistic or make Ash harder for kids to relate to. They can just have Ash being oblivious about romance like always despite Serena kissing him at the end of XY. While it would probably upset fans of the pairing, it would be pretty on par with Ash's personality too.

What storyline did they discard with Serena though?

Making her a coordinator only to do NOTHING with it. Like, why even bother?
Also annoyed they never did anything with May in Johto and Dawn in Hoenn...

I don't know about that. Ten year olds having crushes isn't a stretch by any means, so I don't think it would be unrealistic or make Ash harder for kids to relate to. They can just have Ash being oblivious about romance like always despite Serena kissing him at the end of XY. While it would probably upset fans of the pairing, it would be pretty on par with Ash's personality too.
Personally, when I was ten I thought Ash and Misty had crushes on each other and it didn't feel "off" or make it hard for me to relate to them (although I am possibly not the best measuring cup; as a kid I always preferred the cool characters over the intended to be relatable ones, so if Ash's XY to SuMo change was intended to make him more likable to the target audience it'd have backfired on me at the time).

The oblivious thing won't work since Serena confessed and even Ash got the hint in the end. If Serena returns, Ash would either have to reciprocate her feelings or reject her and neither is really an option. Yajima really left them in a pickle with the confession and the kiss.

Making her a coordinator only to do NOTHING with it. Like, why even bother?
Also annoyed they never did anything with May in Johto and Dawn in Hoenn...

I don't think that's discarding a storyline per say when becoming a Coordinator was just an excuse for Serena to leave Kalos to work on her performance skills. It was basically giving her something to do so that she could make progress towards her goal off screen, much like what happened with May and Dawn. I would have loved to see May and Dawn compete in other Contests and as much as I hated Serena becoming a Coordinator at the end of XY, it would have been worthwhile if they showed a Contest again.

The oblivious thing won't work since Serena confessed and even Ash got the hint in the end. If Serena returns, Ash would either have to reciprocate her feelings or reject her and neither is really an option. Yajima really left them in a pickle with the confession and the kiss.

I've seen people debate over whether or not Ash actually got the hint at the end. I'm pretty sure he did too, but the writers pulling a retcon for Ash to forget the kiss and confession wouldn't be a huge stretch. I don't think that they really have to deal with Serena's feelings for Ash, or at least I don't think it would be that huge of an issue preventing Serena from returning.

Honestly, even if Serena doesn't reappear I'd have trouble seeing the kiss as the big problem unless they outright state in an interview that's the reason (unless she is the only companion who doesn't which would be telling on it's own, though even then it would be possible it was for another reason). Maybe standards have changed in the last twenty years, but I definitely remember children having crushes in the kids shows I watched.

Besides, if they're willing to rewrite Ash's personality to varying degrees between series' then not addressing the kiss shouldn't be any obstacle.

I mean Ash has been pretty chill this series, so I can see him reacting different. He knows what a wedding is

Honestly, even if Serena doesn't reappear I'd have trouble seeing the kiss as the big problem unless they outright state in an interview that's the reason (unless she is the only companion who doesn't which would be telling on it's own, though even then it would be possible it was for another reason). Maybe standards have changed in the last twenty years, but I definitely remember children having crushes in the kids shows I watched.

Besides, if they're willing to rewrite Ash's personality to varying degrees between series' then not addressing the kiss shouldn't be any obstacle.

If anything, I think children characters having crushes in kids shows is even more common nowadays. Either that or it just seems more common given how popular it is for people to make ships within each fanbase.

I mean Ash has been pretty chill this series, so I can see him reacting different. He knows what a wedding is

I'm positive that isn't really a new development, especially when he was involved for Professor Kukui and Burnet's wedding. He can still be the clueless kid about romance and still know that people can get married.

With Alola gang coming back without Lillie, I'm almost sure they're saving her return for later and bring resolution to the Mohn subplot.

Serena is still quite popular so I hope she'll be back too, even just to ruin all the fans' expectations of how serious the kiss should've been treated by not bringing it up at all. I won't lie, I'd love if that was the case.

Has he shown any cluelessness to any romance related aspects since the kiss though? I can't recall anything in SM (the entire part with the wedding only adds to him being less clueless) and Journeys hasn't touched that topic yet.
SM hasn’t touched on cluelessness in romance when it comes to Ash, too. The only romance we see is totally unrelated to him. People are sometimes aware of other romances but quite clueless when it concerns them.

Has he shown any cluelessness to any romance related aspects since the kiss though? I can't recall anything in SM (the entire part with the wedding only adds to him being less clueless) and Journeys hasn't touched that topic yet.

I remember that Ash had a clueless expression when Mallow's brother was heartbroken that the girl he liked was already engaged. Everyone else realized why he was sad while Ash didn't really pick up on it. Other than that, I don't think that it came up that much during SM.

SM hasn’t touched on cluelessness in romance when it comes to Ash, too. The only romance we see is totally unrelated to him. People are sometimes aware of other romances but quite clueless when it concerns them.
Like Hikari's obliviousnes to Kengo's feelings despite of her knowledge of romance.

If Mallow, Kiawe, Lana, and Sophocles are all going to return in the near future, I think we'll likely see Lillie somewhere down the road. Its weird that Lillie isn't with them, but I'm sure she's probably still looking for Mohn.

I hope Lillie find mohn??

I hear on youtube their serena will return in a February anime episodes.

I don't know about Serena, but Lillie is likely. I mean why bring back 4/5 members of the Alola cast without ever having Ash meet up with the last? We still haven't gotten any payoff from her search for Mohn, though the anime has been known to tease stuff and never give us any big payoff. Prime examples, the GS Ball and Team Rocket vs. Team Plasma setup.

I don't know about Serena, but Lillie is likely. I mean why bring back 4/5 members of the Alola cast without ever having Ash meet up with the last? We still haven't gotten any payoff from her search for Mohn, though the anime has been known to tease stuff and never give us any big payoff. Prime examples, the GS Ball and Team Rocket vs. Team Plasma setup.

To be fair, the latter was pretty much out of their control. Once they had to remove the original Team Plasma two-parter, there wasn't much they could do to follow up on that plot point. The GS Ball was a pretty sloppy decision though. Even if they wanted Celebi to be in a movie instead, they easily could have incorporated the GS Ball into the movie or into an arc during Johto instead. Assuming that kids would just forget about it was pretty bad too. Since they actually showed that Lillie was still traveling with her family to find Mohn, I'd say that there's still at least a decent chance that they'll follow up on it.

To be fair, the latter was pretty much out of their control. Once they had to remove the original Team Plasma two-parter, there wasn't much they could do to follow up on that plot point. The GS Ball was a pretty sloppy decision though. Even if they wanted Celebi to be in a movie instead, they easily could have incorporated the GS Ball into the movie or into an arc during Johto instead. Assuming that kids would just forget about it was pretty bad too. Since they actually showed that Lillie was still traveling with her family to find Mohn, I'd say that there's still at least a decent chance that they'll follow up on it.

They probably wanted to avoid film/show crossover. While things from the films have been mentioned in the show it's never been plot important without explaining why and necessitating viewers to watch at least a handful of episodes to give significant context to the film doesn't really work.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom