• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Will Serena return in Sun and Moon?

Based off past instances of May's and Dawn's return she will probably return around episode 70-80, we are not even at episode 30 yet so the answer is no one knows.

I hope so, because she was one of the most popular companions and, well, Ash’s current ones aren’t really that existing or popular. I also want Misty to return, though the chances for either of them to return is slim to none.

Before XY I would've said she would return just because its become a tradition, but after Iris just got a special instead of returning, and with how awkward it would be for her to return after the kiss, as well as how different SM Ash is to XY Ash, I really can't say anything for certain.

Before XY I would've said she would return just because its become a tradition, but after Iris just got a special instead of returning, and with how awkward it would be for her to return after the kiss, as well as how different SM Ash is to XY Ash, I really can't say anything for certain.
Honestly, I think SM might be a prequel to XY, or even as early as AG. He’s more immature in SM. But if that is correct then there isn’t really a reason for Serena to even return.

Honestly I think this talk about SM being before XY is really unimportant because really the Anime Staff aren't ever going to tell us if thats true or not, really I doubt they even care about such things.

At this point I'm not sure if Serena will even get a side story episode, let alone appear in the main Sun & Moon anime.

The Diamond & Pearl series ended on September 9, 2010 and Dawn's special (along with Brock's) aired on February 3, 2011. The Best Wishes series aired its long awaited final episode on September 19, 2013 and Iris' special aired on March 27, 2014.

We're in May and there's no sign of a special episode focusing on Serena. The XY audience shouldn't have to wait a year to see Serena again.

Doubt it, and honestly I don't want her to. We already have a massive cast of 6 in Sun and Moon; they really don't need to add another person for even a few episodes. Besides, I really can't see a good reason for her to come back anyway (not that that'll stop them if they want to). We can only wait and see at this point, but I hope she doesn't show up in Sun and Moon. She can have a side story episode if they really have to show her again.

Nothing in Alola has anything to do with Serena or her goals.

May coming back for the Wallace Cup made sense, and Cynthia's appearance somewhat justified Dawn's brief return.

There is zero narrative reason to bring Serena back.
Good point, actually.
I think what would be an interesting motivation is for Serena to head to Alola for like a break during the later SM anime. But really, other then that there is no reason she would go there.

I wouldn't count it out due to it being past the episode mark that previous special episodes have aired on, since Dawn had both a special and an appearance in a few Best Wishes episodes, whereas Iris was only delegated to the special episode, never actually appearing in an XY episode at all. So Serena could be the reverse of this - having no special episode to call her own, but then later appearing again for a couple of episodes later in Sun and Moon.

There is zero narrative reason to bring Serena back.

To be fair, the writers could just invent a narrative reason to bring characters back, it doesn't necessarily have to relate to their dreams - I mean, considering Unova had literally no contests whatsoever and they managed to bring Dawn back for quite a few episodes into a tournament; Cynthia is a weak justification, and I'm sure the SM writers can consider another weak justification to bring Serena back. If the writers to want to write someone somewhere, they have all the power to do - I mean, they managed to bring Dento all the way to Kalos for a special episode, they can bring Serena to Alola too.

To be fair, the writers could just invent a narrative reason to bring characters back, it doesn't necessarily have to relate to their dreams - I mean, considering Unova had literally no contests whatsoever and they managed to bring Dawn back for quite a few episodes into a tournament; Cynthia is a weak justification, and I'm sure the SM writers can consider another weak justification to bring Serena back. If the writers to want to write someone somewhere, they have all the power to do - I mean, they managed to bring Dento all the way to Kalos for a special episode, they can bring Serena to Alola too.
Like what? What would be her reason? To party hard after becoming the Kalos Queen?

Like what? What would be her reason? To party hard after becoming the Kalos Queen?

There's a variety of scenarios, really. She could be hosting or participating a set of showcases in the Alola region to promote the profession or since she wanted to still keep on top of her Pokemon Performer career and show off what she's been learning in the contest circuit in the Hoenn region in her showcases; (I wouldn't want this one to be the sole reason but it's plausible so) she misses Ash a lot, considering she has a crush on him and wants to visit him; it's a popular tourist destination (Ash goes there initially on a holiday vacation, bear in mind) so she's just visiting the region; she is interested in utilising z-crystals into her performances in some way (slightly wild idea, but you never know?); etc. Endless possibilities - the writers can just pluck one out of the sky and tweak the narrative to justify it.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom