• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Will Serena return in Sun and Moon?

IF (once again, I still think that's a big IF...even with the recent surprise out-of-the-blue Kanto field trip) Serena does indeed return, here are my predictions for how it will more or less play out:

1. We probably won't see her until after Ash has beaten his third Kahuna - maybe around SM070? - at the very earliest.

2. In the same way that Kukui secretly arranged for the group to meet Misty and Brock because he found out that Ash traveled with them, I think Serena will end up being another "surprise guest" to the school.

3. The first episode she appears in will likely involve her teaching the class about Pokémon Showcases and Contests (since those don't exist in Alola), and then putting on a performance for the class to watch.

4. I think there's probably going to be at least a little shipping going on (for humor as well as continuity purposes), but I doubt it'll be much more than Serena blushing when one of Ash's classmates makes an offhand comment about it.

5. I predict Mallow and Lillie will be the classmates that will spend the most screen-time talking to Serena:
-Serena will probably bring some macaroons with her for the class to eat - which means that Mallow will almost certainly get really excited, want to talk about cooking with Serena, learn how to bake them herself for her restaurant, etc.
-As for Lillie, I've always felt she would have the best chemistry with Serena and would be an ideal character for her to have a heart-to-heart talk with about overcoming your fears, finding your way as a Trainer, etc. And since Serena had her own wardrobe change in the XY series, it would be even more ironic if Lillie actually ends up changing into her "Z-Powered Form" from the games!

6. As for Pokémon interactions, I'm really hoping for a heartwarming scene between Snowy and Sylveon, since Sylveon was very shy as an Eevee too. And of course Pancham and Marowak will almost certainly fight for no reason at all...

Last edited:
And since Serena had her own wardrobe change in the XY series, it would be even more ironic if Lillie actually ends up changing into her "Z-Powered Form" from the games!

SADFSAFDSA OMFG WANT!!! Serena giving Lillie a makeover will be extra cute

Dawn went to Unova for no reason. Not that it bothered me.
Dawn was brought back more or less to promote the new feature of B2W2 - the Pokemon World Tournament. Granted, the anime portrayal of the PWT was lacking in every aspect, but it DID feature Cynthia and Caitlin's battle as a crossover feature. And yes, it didn't have to be Dawn, but for some reason, they chose her. There's nothing stopping previous generation characters from promoting the new features of the new games.

Serena could have a minor role promoting a new feature of the USUM games as well. I mentioned the Photo Club earlier in this thread. Seeing how Serena is aiming to be a top performer/actress, AND with her experience filming her own promotional videos on Pokevision, it wouldn't be weird to slip in some subplot where she visited Alola for a photo shoot for advertising/promotional purposes. Besides, Hawaii is a popular place for photo shoots of all kinds in real life.

As for the shipping, it may or may not be the focus in the event she returns, but there probably will be at least a minor reference to it.

Last edited:
Dawn was brought back more or less to promote the new feature of B2W2 - the Pokemon World Tournament. Granted, the anime portrayal of the PWT was lacking in every aspect, but it DID feature Cynthia and Caitlin's battle as a crossover feature. And yes, it didn't have to be Dawn, but for some reason, they chose her because reasons. There's nothing stopping previous generation characters from promoting the new features of the new games.

Serena could have a minor role promoting a new feature of the USUM games as well. I mentioned the Photo Club earlier in this thread. Seeing how Serena is aiming to be a top performer/actress, AND with her experience filming her own promotional videos on Pokevision, it wouldn't be weird to slip in some subplot where she visited Alola for a photo shoot for advertising/promotional purposes. Besides, Hawaii is a popular place for photo shoots of all kinds in real life.

As for the shipping, it may or may not be the focus in the event she returns, but there probably will be at least a minor reference to it.

I couldn't agree more than you do. It needed more enrichment than any of region as it can since Alola region is very primitive. The one thing for sure exciting about is that. We're going to witnessing massive Ultra Wormhole pouring in to the region like that never in game before. Where Ash and others will tried every single way to close it. Before, the region scattered apart causing even much biggest crisis than the one from Kalos. When, Team Flare tried to used to Giant Rock to conquering it. That is where Team Ultra (Ultra Recon Squad) and the third mysterious legendary Pokémon Necrozma came to the picture.

I doubt she will return, the ending of XYZ looked like it was a closure already.

Nintendo/Game Freak stated that Serena had her time already in the anime and they want to put Ash with new characters.

I read that somewhere like connected somehow to the interview regarding the kiss thing. Brock and Misty were there for the 20th anniversary though and just appeared for 2 episodes.

Dawn was brought back more or less to promote the new feature of B2W2 - the Pokemon World Tournament.
I had no idea that's what that arc was to represent. I honestly I thought it was a device to simultaneously give Dawn something to do as well as be the last "hurrah" for half of the BW rivals. But it's funny you mentioned that because I always thought that the PWT Finale battle song would have been a great choice for the fight between Dawn and Iris, if they ever added it into the anime.

Also, Serena coming back and being the one to help Lillie with her Z- Powered outfit is such a splendid idea although I highly doubt it will ever come into fruition.

I had no idea that's what that arc was to represent. I honestly I thought it was a device to simultaneously give Dawn something to do as well as be the last "hurrah" for half of the BW rivals. But it's funny you mentioned that because I always thought that the PWT Finale battle song would have been a great choice for the fight between Dawn and Iris, if they ever added it into the anime.

Also, Serena coming back and being the one to help Lillie with her Z- Powered outfit is such a splendid idea although I highly doubt it will ever come into fruition.
Dawn had no point to being there at all.

Dawn had no point to being there at all.
Not necessarily. At that point, the anime had a tradition of bringing back the previous female companion to stay for a few episodes in the following series. Dawn was taking part in that tradition.

I don't know if it will be realized anymore since Iris broke that all up.

Not necessarily. At that point, the anime had a tradition of bringing back the previous female companion to stay for a few episodes in the following series. Dawn was taking part in that tradition.

I don't know if it will be realized anymore since Iris broke that all up.
Ok theres that but what i'm saying here is to the plot she had no point being there. She didn't help any of the team with anything in the long run like May did. And she didn't even have a good mini arc like with Misty.

does serena return in some episodes of pokemon sun and moon???

Serena should return in Pokémon Sun and Moon Ultra which I find will be so hilariously awkward after their kiss
My prediction: she comes to battle him because of what she said about finding him once she is a better trainer in Pokémon XYZ “till we come again”. Well they are in the middle of a Pokémon battle some sort of bad guy(s) will interrupt then ash will defeat the bad guy(s) with serena’s help than they re do there battle Serena loses and then leaves.
And in all of that, a hole bunch of awkwardness.
I mean, it’s kinda predictable
(Lol can you tell I am a Ash and Serena relationship fan).

And to anyone who says they don’t want romance, WRONG the director has confirmed Ash and Serena will end up as a couple yaaaaaaaaaaaaay! My life is complete

Serena should return in Pokémon Sun and Moon Ultra which I find will be so hilariously awkward after their kiss
My prediction: she comes to battle him because of what she said about finding him once she is a better trainer in Pokémon XYZ “till we come again”. Well they are in the middle of a Pokémon battle some sort of bad guy(s) will interrupt then ash will defeat the bad guy(s) with serena’s help than they re do there battle Serena loses and then leaves.
And in all of that, a hole bunch of awkwardness.
I mean, it’s kinda predictable
(Lol can you tell I am a Ash and Serena relationship fan).

And to anyone who says they don’t want romance, WRONG the director has confirmed Ash and Serena will end up as a couple yaaaaaaaaaaaaay! My life is complete

Except that Ash will never age.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom