• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Will SM be a reboot?

Keshav

Reaction score
There are many things that are pointing towards it:-
1. The XYZ finale. Didn't it feel like the end of the anime? The usual next time a new beginning text wasn't there too.
2. Ash made it to the finals so to show natural progression, he would have to win it. The writers can't do it because this is the pokemon anime we are talking about.
3. New production team and new artwork. The games are changing most of the old things so I think the anime will follow it. The new production team will also want to work on a new fresh series.

There are many more challenges for the writers which are very very difficult to solve if they try to keep it all in continuation. I think they are going to press that reset button again.
Discuss whether it will be a reboot or not here!

1. The XYZ finale. Didn't it feel like the end of the anime? The usual next time a new beginning text wasn't there too.
No, it didn't really feel like an end.

You know, what kind of end of Pokemon anime doesn't even give closure to the oldest characters like Brock or Misty? If that was the end of the Pokemon anime, then it was pretty crappy ending.

2. Ash made it to the finals so to show natural progression, he would have to win it. The writers can't do it because this is the pokemon anime we are talking about.
Ash hasn't won the League. If he won the League, then the reboot talk would make a bit more sense.

3. New production team and new artwork. The games are changing most of the old things so I think the anime will follow it. The new production team will also want to work on a new fresh series.
Ash's art style changed in BW too, and yet it wasn't a reboot.

And the production team is pretty much identical as well since all of them have worked previously on Pokemon anime before. The animators are the same and the writers are the same.

Discuss whether it will be a reboot or not here!
There's nothing to discuss, it is not a reboot.

No, it didn't really feel like an end.

You know, what kind of end of Pokemon anime doesn't even give closure to the oldest characters like Brock or Misty? If that was the end of the Pokemon anime, then it was pretty crappy ending.

Ash hasn't won the League. If he won the League, then the reboot talk would make a bit more sense.

Ash's art style changed in BW too, and yet it wasn't a reboot.

And the production team is pretty much identical as well since all of them have worked previously on Pokemon anime before. The animators are the same and the writers are the same.

There's nothing to discuss, it is not a reboot.
If he hasn't won the league, he made it to the finals. Anything lower than top 2 would result in a backlash and I think the writers won't make the same mistake twice.
BW was a reboot, it wasn't received well by the audience so they made Dawn return and scraped the reboot idea.
The lead writer has changed and the lead writer controls everything.
Lastly, I said 'whether'. I never said 'let's discuss about the reboot'. If you don't know what is the meaning of whether, not my problem.

IBW was a reboot, it wasn't received well by the audience so they made Dawn return and scraped the reboot idea.
BW wasn't a reboot. It had pretty much the same staff AND the same lead writer, Atsuhiro Tomioka. Furthermore, it had more continuity and connection to the past series than XY did.

The lead writer has changed and the lead writer controls everything.
A change in the lead writer doesn't mean there's been a reboot.

I imagine it makes little difference, seeing as how everyone seems ready to write this off like they did with BW. I can personally make no judgment on it. Either it is a continuation or it isn't.

I imagine it makes little difference, seeing as how everyone seems ready to write this off like they did with BW.
This is sadly true.

Even if this canonically isn't a reboot, people will treat it as such. Shame.

Yeah, this isn't a reboot. There has been no indication of that in any of the trailers or promos. The fact that Delia has Mr. Mime alone should prove that it isn't a reboot since I don't really see the point of her still having it if they wanted to wipe out continuity with the other series completely. They'll most likely keep references to previous series at a minimum similar to what XY did. Athough I actually could see Serena appearing in the series proper instead of getting just a special due to her popularity and the whole twist of kissing Ash thing, which would be more of a reference to past events than XY had. People still kind of consider BW to be a reboot even though it clearly isn't and the same might happen with SM unfortunately.

Canonically speaking, I don't think it will be a reboot of the series per se, but IMO it might as well be.

I get the feeling it's gonna be one of the biggest (if not THE biggest) cases of by this "trope" happening amongst the fanbase in the entire Pokemon franchise to date: Fanon Discontinuity - TV Tropes

Maybe I'll feel better and change my mind once I actually see a few episodes of it, but my initial reaction on seeing the first Trailer for the series was "Please...is this a joke?"

And I totally agree with the many fans who were very surprised and disappointed to learn that Serena isn't coming along with Ash to Alola. From the very beginning I always thought that Popplio would be the PERFECT Gen VII starter for her - I mean seriously, just reading the online descriptions of Popplio and its evolutions will tell you that performing in Pokemon Showcases is a job they were born for!

Why would anyone be shocked or surprised about Serena leaving after the last three female companions were replaced with a new one?

Surprised, really? Game Freak didn't design the Popplio line for the sake of an anime-exclusive feature that was only relevant for slightly over a year.

Don't be a jerk (and what "being a jerk" means)

Why would anyone be shocked or surprised about Serena leaving after the last three female companions were replaced with a new one?

Maybe "disappointed" is a better word...a lot of the fanbase, including myself, thought Serena would finally be the one to break that streak given a) her feelings for Ash and all the "armorshipping" moments going on, and b) the heavy implications in leaks up to that point that S&M would be sort of like a sequel to X&Y a la GSC.

EDIT: You should see the comments on the YouTube uploads of XY138, just about every single one of them is somebody complaining that Pallermo should have revealed that the Alola region has Pokemon Showcases too and Serena could go there, instead of suggesting that she try out Contests in Hoenn.

Last edited:
If you feel like someone is being rude to you, please report them instead of indirectly calling them a jerk. All that does is create more problems and get the discussions off track. Being respectful towards each other even when disagreeing is key.

I can see why fans were disappointed that Serena didn't come to Alola, but I don't know about being surprised. They've been setting up for her departure for quite some time. Even though they went into a different and in my opinion questionable decision for Serena to try out Contests, they were planning on having her leave. I doubt that she would have kissed Ash if she wasn't going off on her own, so it's unlikely that their relationship would have progressed. I also didn't really think of Showcases when I saw Popplio. I thought of Pokemon Contests since those would be a better avenue for a Popplio in my opinion. Considering how poorly handled Showcases were in XY, I doubt that they'd be much better in SM and I'd rather that they keep them exclusive to Kalos anyway. It wasn't a well thought out competition and I don't think doing it in Alola would have made it turn out better. And aside from more shipping teases, I'm not sure if we would have gotten much out of it for Serena's character. Her storyline was pretty much done and I don't know how far they'd be willing to go with Serena expressing her feelings without her leaving right afterwards.

No. SM is not a reboot since Ash is still the main character. A real reboot would use a different main character.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom