• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Will Sun and Moon suck?

The only problem that SM could have, is that they are implementing too many changes. After 20 years of basically the same and no change, Sun and Moon are finally introducing some changes, but could there be too many?
These are changes that lots of people have been asking for though.
It makes sense really, because they want these games to be played by many people and not jus your average Pokémon fan who'll likely buy the games regardless.
That cinematic trailer TPC released several days ago really captured a lot of people's hearts ( Even those that don't like the series or hecklers) so this reinforces that this strategy might be working.

Of course the anime won't have an impact on the games. I was asking about Gen 7 in general and the games and anime are separate points about this generation sucking. I don't read the manga and I haven't heard much about the Sun and Moon TCG. But if I had any problems with those, I would rant about it here. Though any complaints about Sinnoh remakes wouldn't be allowed because they are not called Sun and Moon (and we don't even know if they will exist yet). But since anything about the Sun and Moon anime is put in the anime board, would a forum about Sun and Moon as a generation belong to the general discussion board and should we continue this thread discussing the Sun and Moon games themselves?

I don't think too many people factor in the anime series when discussing about the generations as a whole. The anime and the games are separate entities and the anime's problems normally aren't a reflection of the video games, but rather the decisions the creative team had to make with the anime adaptation of the games.

Well, you know high expectations could lead to disappointment. Look at Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice for example.

I'm pretty sure that there were a lot more problems present with BvS: Dawn of Justice well before the final product came out. The same cannot be said for Sun/Moon. I get what you're trying to say about having high expectations, but I don't think that the comparison works for multiple reasons. From what I understand, I don't think too many people were surprised with the final product that movie turned out to be.

I haven't seen anyone hyped in a while since X&Y were released back on 2013 and the hype has now surpassed Pokemon GO according to things that I've found, so it won't suck at all and even if it does, it at least shows that it was a nice change from what we knew for the past 20 years

Well, you know high expectations could lead to disappointment. Look at Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice for example.
That's different. When you take a bunch of bloated expectations that completely miss the mark and combine it with the phrase "directed by Zack Snyder," you should probably expect the end result to be a complete fuster-cluck.

Meanwhile with Game Freak, you've got an experienced team working with a formula solid enough to hold up for two decades. Furthermore, unlike BvS, I really doubt that anyone's expectations are extremely high or delusional. Most of us are expecting GF to deliver their standard quality, like they always have done for the past 20 years. So what if there aren't any gyms? We still have our battles, team building, type matchups... all the necessary core mechanics are there for a Pokemon adventure. I do not need gyms to justify exploring the world, and besides, I always enjoyed thrashing the bad guys more anyways.

These games are even challenging my favorite game, Emerald, as my top game ever. Even White2, which is my second favorite, didn't come close to dethroning Emerald. So Sun and Moon is going to be ethereal! :)

we need to wait longer and see more before we judge too quickly. Now we know how people love gyms and league.

Last edited:
Although it's all subjective, None of the games have "sucked" for me. Nor the anime. I like silly Ash as well as serious Ash, as well as his companions...all of them. Each for different reasons. I don't think this one will suck either. Neither the game or the anime. Many people have complained that the series was getting stale, and although I've noticed that game devs cannot seem to satisfy gamers no matter what they decide to do with their games, I think the majority of Pokémon fans will embrace the new direction the series seem to be going in. Of course without us playing it we won't know for sure, because we don't know how they are being implemented. Trial Captains seem like gym leaders with a different name to me. You basically do the exact same thing as if you're standing in a gym, it's just outsid. And Ash going to school could just be him learning about Alolan customs and things, since things are different there then anywhere else he's been. I'm super excited for both the anime and the games!

Yes, these games will suck for some people, but they seem to be the minority here. You can't just please everyone.

Nah they won't suck.

They will certainly be an interesting deviation from the norm for the franchise though, which will certainly upset some.

Also it will be strange playing a game set in an Hawaiian atmosphere in November/December...

The new information we have seen throughout the months have all been wonderful in my opinion. Alola forms, Z-moves, Battle Royal...There are a lot of things that GF are trying out and so far I haven't been turned off by anything that has been shown. I definitely don't think these games will suck, at least to me.

I really don't like the news about Pokémon Sun and Moon recently. When it was first announced, I was really excited. I even bought a 2DS so that I could play X and Alpha Sapphire before getting Sun. The biggest problem I have is the anime. Ash's design really downgraded from XY and his pose in the poster is really dorky. And he is going to school to "graduate like know one ever has." Ash going to school? Really? A series about him traveling the world has to settle him in school? And no sign of Serena so far despite her crush on Ash got many people back to the series.

And for the games, apparently there is no gyms. Despite being a staple of the main series for 20 years. I sure hope we're wrong and there is still eight gyms. But if there's no gyms, that would mean we will still have no Dark gym. And for the Alola forms, they are okay but the question is if we will see their regular forms? The only times we saw regular forms for Pokémon confirmed with Alola varients was when they showed Ken Sugimori art for comparison. Where's the Mega Evolution? Will the games still have Megas? Is there going to be any cross-gen evolutions of any kind? Is the day/night cycle version specific? The Poké Rides are a cool concept, but shouldn't we be able to ride our own Pokémon instead of using a service?

Well it is two months too soon to judge Sun and Moon and I won't cancel the pre-order of Sun just because I don't like some things and believe it is going to get more criticisms than Black and White, though I kind of liked Black and White. While some changes can be good, removing stuff people like about Pokémon and changing the anime premise probably wouldn't go too well.

Anyway, do you think Sun and Moon will get harsh criticisms? I sure hope it isn't as bad as I'm making it right now, but the negatives and possibly controversal elements do need to be addressed.

I don't pay attention to the anime ever since part way through generation 3.
The gyms not existing I don't think will be terrible. We have something else similar to it but a little different.
Alola forms wouldn't be right if the regular forms are there too. The point of the Alola forms is like having two different looking birds in two countries and they are still both Finches. It comes from the belief of Darwinism, that evolution from environmental factors caused a change in the two birds that are still Finches. You may see regular forms who are owned by the little people in the game as pets. That is probably about it. Mega Evolution may still be in the game but I doubt we will get new megas. In my own opinion I don't think megas will be in them at all, but many argue that wouldn't make sense and may be available after the plot. I think Megas are a regional thing. not sure what you mean by cross gens evolutions. if they are what i am thinking they are, i doubt they will talk about them in the trailers and you would have to play the game yourself to find out. Day in Sun is normal timing. Moon will be 12 hours apart. so the day in real time will be night. both still have the cycles. Service pokemon saves space on our team. If you watch the trailers, you can see they have a different background than the team background when they are listed. Plus it gets rid of those pesky Hms.
I am sure there will always be someone out there unhappy and always someone with harsh criticism. I personally think this is a breath of fresh air.

what if they make a third game "Twilight" with gymm or league in it? not every region needs to be the same but some things hapen atr time. or they call it in a other way but it could work in similar manner?
New genartion rather states new pokemon, new moves, new abilities and probably new megas will apper but not that large amount like in generation 6.

what if they make a third game "Twilight" with gymm or league in it? not every region needs to be the same but some things hapen atr time. or they call it in a other way but it could work in similar manner?
New genartion rather states new pokemon, new moves, new abilities and probably new megas will apper but not that large amount like in generation 6.
So a third version of SM but with Gyms? That would be odd since they would have to rework the entire game just keep the status quo which if I'm being honest is pretty daft.

I dont know I only can imagine what can hapen, maybe trials are the oficial gyms of this region?

I dont know I only can imagine what can hapen, maybe trials are the oficial gyms of this region?
Kind off but form the sounds of it the Totem Pokémon have more in common with Gym leaders that being a boss just without the badge

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom