• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Will the new BW2 rival be a rival for Ash?

Pidgeot

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
Do you think the new rival in BW2 will be another rival for Ash, or do you think he will once again be neglected like Silver and Cheren?

Personally I think you could be a potential rival for Ash, except he has way too many already. The only way he could get a new rival would be if one of his rivals leaves - maybe Bianca could stop being a rival, as she's Juniper's assistant in BW2?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm... Maybe, though he doesn't seem like a recurring character. Perhaps a CotD, but not a recurring one.

Maybe he'll be Ash's rival for whatever Ash will do after the Unova League, either instead of or in addition to Trip (I expect Bianca and all the other rivals' stories to end at the end of the Unova League)

Since Cheren will be gym leader he won't be a rival, but I expect the BW2 rival to take the place of Trip eventually. I also think Bianca might be replaced by the new girl as a secondary rival. Considering that by BW2 she is no longer into training for battles(?).

I would love it if the new rival from B/W2 replaced Trip as Ash's main rival. In my opinion, nothing of value would be lost with Trip suddenly being written out before the Unova League even starts. The new rival from the games could be interesting and actually have a rivalry with Ash, instead of whatever he has with Trip. I don't know how likely that is to happen, but I would approve of it.

Cheren has been completely ignored so far in the anime (unless they throw him in as a gym leader in S2), so I don't see it happening.

possibly, they've bought in a league rival each league, who ends up beating Ash, so that could be this guy this time, or he could be one of the entrants in this big tournament Cynthias putting together. Or they could ignore him completely

I really doubt we will see any of the Satoshi's current rival roster change. He already has 4 rivals, and Cabernet and Langley fill the role of random CoTDs for Satoshi and co. to win against already. I do think however certain elements of the new rival will be inconporated to Shooty if they aren't already.

He already has 4 rivals, and Cabernet and Langley fill the role of random CoTDs for Satoshi and co. to win against already.

Wait, you mean 4 without counting Burgundy and Georgia? (which I think we should count, especially Burgundy since we know she at least used to challenge Gyms, if not still doing it and possibly entering the League...)
There's Trip, Bianca, Stephan and...? (or maybe you did count Burgundy but didn't count Georgia since we have no hint to her collecting badges yet?)

Anyway, I'd really like to see this rival... at the end of the Unova League, I can sadly see Bianca facing a similar fate to her gameself (which means she'll pretty much say "oh I'm bad at battles, there's nothing to do about it, so I'll just give up" and turn into Juniper's assistant) and I can also see Stephan and Burgundy/Georgia get some conclusion and leave the show
In that case we'd only have Trip left (which I think it's pretty obvious will be the BW series' main rival till its very end) so this new rival could join "instead" of the "lost" ones...
I also half expect Trip to win the Unova League as I said before, so I believe Ash won't beat him until the very end of BW, in the second saga, similarly to the May/Drew rivalry in AG - so in such a case Trip would obviously stay and not get "replaced"... but in the BF saga of AG, Harley seemed to get a lot of focus despite Drew being the "main" rival - so maybe they can do something similar with this new rival being Ash's "Harley", meaning he won't be the "main" rival, but still appear more than him and get lots of focus...

He already has 4 rivals, and Cabernet and Langley fill the role of random CoTDs for Satoshi and co. to win against already.

Wait, you mean 4 without counting Burgundy and Georgia? (which I think we should count, especially Burgundy since we know she at least used to challenge Gyms, if not still doing it and possibly entering the League...)
There's Trip, Bianca, Stephan and...? (or maybe you did count Burgundy but didn't count Georgia since we have no hint to her collecting badges yet?)
Luke. You can argue with him not being a rival, but it's not like it will matter anyways since we will get some clarifaction about League in a few months anyways.
And no, I don't think we will see the conclusion of any of the rivalries until the end of series either. There is no reason to end Langley and Cabernet rivalries especially since they are the closest thing Iris and Cilan has to an ongoing conflict and they(and Bel) are insanely popular in Japan.

I don't think Shooty will win the league either. I think he might win against Satoshi, bu none of the main rivals except Nozomi won any major competition.

I don't see them replacing Shhotie just yet, although in my opinion he hasn't been one of Satoshi's best rivals. Although I'm hoping that the new Rival will make an appearance, for example something like seeing him in Cheren's trainer school.

I think it'd be nice for Satoshi and the gang to meet Cheren, hopefully Bel will be with them, she can mention how Cheren used to live at her old home town.

If Cheren is to appear as a Gym Leader then it makes some sense why he was not chosen as a rival, though it came at a cost... I dunno much about the new BW2 rival guy to pass much judgement on him yet, but he seems to have a lot more character and spunk than Trip at least, so why not?

The rivalry may not be as deep as Paul's, but at least it would be there. Speaking of Paul... *imagines Paul becoming the main rival again*

Do you think the new rival in BW2 will be another rival for Ash, or do you think he will once again be neglected like Silver

I've always thought Paul was modeled around Silver.

On topic: Yes I would like the BW 2 rival, it would probably be better than Trip.

Sweet jesus.

OKAY, now that we know that Ash gets a new rival, I MUST see BW rival in the anime. NEED. I'm being totally baseless and shallow right now since we don't know his personality and I'm only saying this because I think he's mega hawt, but STILL. Anyone should be better than Shooti.

Or MAYBE Shooti can be threatened by this new rival and end up bettering himself because of it. IDK.

I completely approve Ash getting a new rival. Even though the writers are basically admitting that Trip isn't working out, I don't care as long as the new rival is actually good/decent. Either one would be a step up from Trip. I think that the chances of the new rival being the one from B2/W2 is pretty good. I don't see what would be the point of giving Ash yet another anime only rival in this series when they've done that with Trip and arguably Stephan and it would promote the newest games. I wouldn't mind another anime only rival if there was an actual rivalry behind it, but at this point, I think I'd prefer the B2/W2 rival appearing instead.

I'd like it to be a girl too. Bianca is there, and I don't think one more female rival would hurt.

He/She's gotta be better than Trip right? RIGHT?

If Nurival is a girl, I'll die happy.

But, Hidden Mew is right, the chances for the rival to be the BW rival are kinda high considering how many anime-only rivals there've been this season. Then again, maybe there's a reason for that, lol. Either way, they've included Barry, which was a game rival and Gary, so perhaps the time is right @w@

Either way, I'll probably end up shipping him/her with Ash

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom