• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Will the potential DPP remakes feature Dynamax?

Dynamax is just too connected to Eternatus. Putting Mega Evolution in ORAS was tolerable because Megas weren't directly tied to the Kalos legendaries.

Dynamax is just too connected to Eternatus. Putting Mega Evolution in ORAS was tolerable because Megas weren't directly tied to the Kalos legendaries.

Going by Bulbapedia, Mega Stones are (or can be) evolutionary stones irradiated with either Yveltal's or Xerneas power fired by the ultimate weapon, so how can one shove Mega Stones in Hoenn? One can say that even far away, some energy made its way to Hoenn but again, that's reducing the meaning of XY's story. If Mega stones are connected to Yveltal/Xerneas, then howcome Rayquaza has a special organ and eats meteoroids? Why simply not create a Primal Rayquaza? Why do we have Sycamore and need some Dragon granny to correct XY Tower of Mastery, Korrina and Sycamore? Retconning just for the sake of shoving content is reducing the importance of certain lores and games. It's like if the Sinnoh remakes includes Ultra Beats because of Palkia and Dialga and so Arceus will be able to also fuse with Solgaleo or Lunaala.

throwing lore out of the window, it would certainly be interesting seeing certain sinnoh pokemon be given a gmax form of some sort. dunno how dens would work in sinnoh or if the region would have some sort of secret wild-area esque spot anywhere but it'd be kinda wild to see haha

throwing lore out of the window, it would certainly be interesting seeing certain sinnoh pokemon be given a gmax form of some sort. dunno how dens would work in sinnoh or if the region would have some sort of secret wild-area esque spot anywhere but it'd be kinda wild to see haha

I still think the Underground is 100% the perfect candidate for this. It's a) totally open-world, b) a multiplayer hub just like the Wild Area, with Secret Bases filling the role of Camps and hidden items in the ground and in the walls and its own currency in the form of Spheres, and c) it's, well, underground, just like the Pokémon Dens. All they need to do is make it not so boring to look at. (Seriously, it's just this same red-brown corridor, on and on, forever.) Add in caves, underground lakes, crystal formations, glowworm tunnels, Pokémon grottos. Maybe the ruins of an ancient Sinnohan civilization.

Last edited:
I still think the Underground is 100% the perfect candidate for this. It's a) totally open-world, b) a multiplayer hub just like the Wild Area, with Secret Bases filling the role of Camps and hidden items in the ground and in the walls and its own currency in the form of Spheres, and c) it's, well, underground, just like the Pokémon Dens. All they need to do is make it not so boring to look at. (Seriously, it's just this same red-brown corridor, on and on, forever.)
I don't know if that would work.

It's just a massive cave system with no different biomes or weather like the Wild Area.

Which is something they can change. It was after you quoted my post, but I edited it to suggest plenty of ideas.

But the Pokemon that would be there would be drastically limited compared to if they did a Wild Area like in Galar.

To a large extent that would depend on how diverse they make the environments, but in any case, I don't think the Underground having a generally smaller selection than the Wild Area would be any more anomalous than ORAS having a considerably smaller Pokédex than XY. They can create workarounds.

But the Pokemon that would be there would be drastically limited compared to if they did a Wild Area like in Galar.
If Dynamax ends up in Sinnoh anyway it’ll be more limited than Galar by the pure virtue of Sinnoh not being designed around it. As for Underground!Wild Area, it’s pretty plausible. The entire Sinnoh won’t be getting a wild area due to the sheer reason of Sinnoh's design. The underground is easily modifiable.

I'm not saying that the Underground being the new Wild Area in Sinnoh isn't going to happen but I honestly can't see the arguments to include an open world gameplay mechanic that felt rather short in SwSH in an underground area, even if it has some aesthetics differences, unless the tunnels connect to Wild Areas that have different Pkmn. We're in 2020 (the games came out last year) and we have an area that has something from Gold/Silver, where by giving a few steps we are in a new part and the weather changes immediately and drastically just like how in Gen. II the Beast jumped across Johto just when the player entered a new area. Amazing, this is what people want to be shoved in remakes/sequels just for the sake of having it? I think it's wanting too little when we could have proper creative content if there's a will and hard work to make it happen. The Underground is a network of tunnels, so in terms of Pkmn environments, what's expected are Ground, Steel, Rock, some Grass type perhaps (mushroom ones, Oddish...) and perhaps the bones of other Pkmn, so...how? Why an Wild Area in the Underground? I'm curious.

PS: at maximum, what I'd like to see included in the Underground, namely beneath the Pkmn Tower or Eterna Forest's Mansion, is a portal (not Hoopa's!!) to the Pkmn Underworld, because Giratina's realm is not that and so we could have a Ghost-type "playground" with nods and cameos from previous games.

I'm not saying that the Underground being the new Wild Area in Sinnoh isn't going to happen but I honestly can't see the arguments to include an open world gameplay mechanic that felt rather short in SwSH in an underground area, even if it has some aesthetics differences, unless the tunnels connect to Wild Areas that have different Pkmn.

Fundamentally, the Wild Area and the Underground are already very similar. The Underground is only slightly less open-world than the Wild Area as it is, and both of them still make you wait until a certain point in the game before you can access every location in them. They both operate with their own currency system (spheres for the Underground and watts for the WA), and have lots of vendors scattered throughout who sell goods in exchange for that currency. They both are littered with hidden items that constantly regenerate. They both serve as a multiplayer hub of sorts, where other players' avatars can appear in your game. And Camps are just less-customizable Secret Bases. So pretty much the only thing that the Underground needs in order to already just be the Wild Area is wild Pokémon.

We're in 2020 (the games came out last year) and we have an area that has something from Gold/Silver, where by giving a few steps we are in a new part and the weather changes immediately and drastically just like how in Gen. II the Beast jumped across Johto just when the player entered a new area. Amazing, this is what people want to be shoved in remakes/sequels just for the sake of having it?

I'm not too bothered about the weather changes in the WA personally, but I think it's a little odd to assume that wanting the basic concept to be imported into Sinnoh precludes also wanting them to improve upon things like this. Besides, it would be rather difficult for the Underground to have weather changes anyway since it's, you know... underground.

The Underground is a network of tunnels, so in terms of Pkmn environments, what's expected are Ground, Steel, Rock, some Grass type perhaps (mushroom ones, Oddish...) and perhaps the bones of other Pkmn, so...how? Why an Wild Area in the Underground? I'm curious.

Caves can have lakes and water deposits (the Pokémon series already has numerous such examples), so there's Water types sorted. I mentioned ancient buried ruins as a possibility, which could be a place for Ghost, Dark, and Psychic types. Fighting types and Bug types wouldn't be too out-of-place in a cave environment. Dragon and Poison types are no strangers to caves, either. You can have colder, frozen caverns in the areas closer to the north for Ice types.

That's 13 out of 18 types, leaving Normal, Fire, Flying, Fairy, and Electric. Those ones, I think, would certainly be tricky, but not beyond the developers' capabilities (well, Flying may be hopeless). That's why I suggest diversifying the Underground's biome - for one thing, it just needs it anyway, so that it's not an endless tube of ugly red dirt. But then you could have some sections be filled with pretty crystalline structures to maybe make it more accommodating for Fairy types, for instance. Have the area below the Feugo Ironworks be a haven for Fire types drawn in by the heat.

But your suggestion of having the Underground lead to separate areas could work too. I mean, there's plenty of possibilities. And of course there's still the question of just how much they might add to the regional Dex. I'm sure they'll keep what Platinum added, but is that maybe as far as they'll go other than Sylveon? With ORAS, they decided to keep the regional Dex as it was despite it being drastically smaller than that of the two previous games. Their solution was to implement the DexNav so that instead of having a variety of team options, it would be easier to get readily optimized versions of what was on offer.

I would very much prefer that they expand the Dex, but if they really don't want to, then frankly, most of the species that appear in Sinnoh's Dex are already pretty cave-friendly, since the region is, after all, totally filled with caves even without the Underground's help.

Fundamentally, the Wild Area and the Underground are already very similar. The Underground is only slightly less open-world than the Wild Area as it is, and both of them still make you wait until a certain point in the game before you can access every location in them. They both operate with their own currency system (spheres for the Underground and watts for the WA), and have lots of vendors scattered throughout who sell goods in exchange for that currency. They both are littered with hidden items that constantly regenerate. They both serve as a multiplayer hub of sorts, where other players' avatars can appear in your game. And Camps are just less-customizable Secret Bases. So pretty much the only thing that the Underground needs in order to already just be the Wild Area is wild Pokémon.

I'm not too bothered about the weather changes in the WA personally, but I think it's a little odd to assume that wanting the basic concept to be imported into Sinnoh precludes also wanting them to improve upon things like this. Besides, it would be rather difficult for the Underground to have weather changes anyway since it's, you know... underground.

Caves can have lakes and water deposits (the Pokémon series already has numerous such examples), so there's Water types sorted. I mentioned ancient buried ruins as a possibility, which could be a place for Ghost, Dark, and Psychic types. Fighting types and Bug types wouldn't be too out-of-place in a cave environment. Dragon and Poison types are no strangers to caves, either. You can have colder, frozen caverns in the areas closer to the north for Ice types.

That's 13 out of 18 types, leaving Normal, Fire, Flying, Fairy, and Electric. Those ones, I think, would certainly be tricky, but not beyond the developers' capabilities (well, Flying may be hopeless). That's why I suggest diversifying the Underground's biome - for one thing, it just needs it anyway, so that it's not an endless tube of ugly red dirt. But then you could have some sections be filled with pretty crystalline structures to maybe make it more accommodating for Fairy types, for instance. Have the area below the Feugo Ironworks be a haven for Fire types drawn in by the heat.

But your suggestion of having the Underground lead to separate areas could work too. I mean, there's plenty of possibilities. And of course there's still the question of just how much they might add to the regional Dex. I'm sure they'll keep what Platinum added, but is that maybe as far as they'll go other than Sylveon? With ORAS, they decided to keep the regional Dex as it was despite it being drastically smaller than that of the two previous games. Their solution was to implement the DexNav so that instead of having a variety of team options, it would be easier to get readily optimized versions of what was on offer.

I would very much prefer that they expand the Dex, but if they really don't want to, then frankly, most of the species that appear in Sinnoh's Dex are already pretty cave-friendly, since the region is, after all, totally filled with caves even without the Underground's help.

I won't go into detail about what you said simply because the points and suggestions made are entirely valid (thanks for giving such a proper answer) and that I agree with, namely the ruins and something that I completely forgot which are water deposits and/or sea connections when I had the examples of Slopoke Well and Union Cave.
That said, I still find it hard for people to want something that in Galar was just a place to shove weather (even if there won't be that possibility in the Underground) and different Pkmn associated with said weather...it's simply bad world construction, like trying to have a desert next to an icy area next to a forest and next to a volcano just for the sake of diversity instead of expanding the top right corner of the Battle Area to have entirely new (novelty at minimum) environments...for example, it's just how in ASOR they shove "foreign" Pokémon and they even bother to call it...(I'm lacking the name given previously)...flocks/invasion...they are just there after you beat E4 instead of creating new bigger islands (not pocket size mirage islands) with culture and perhaps lore, some foreigners that settled there and brought outsider Pkmn that escaped and settled there, etc.
Perhaps it's just that people are rightfuly talking about their wishes/suggestions/expectations for it but I'm both cautious and not expecting the best nor much from GF at this point. :unsure:

I won't go into detail about what you said simply because the points and suggestions made are entirely valid (thanks for giving such a proper answer) and that I agree with, namely the ruins and something that I completely forgot which are water deposits and/or sea connections when I had the examples of Slopoke Well and Union Cave.
That said, I still find it hard for people to want something that in Galar was just a place to shove weather (even if there won't be that possibility in the Underground) and different Pkmn associated with said weather...it's simply bad world construction, like trying to have a desert next to an icy area next to a forest and next to a volcano just for the sake of diversity instead of expanding the top right corner of the Battle Area to have entirely new (novelty at minimum) environments...for example, it's just how in ASOR they shove "foreign" Pokémon and they even bother to call it...(I'm lacking the name given previously)...flocks/invasion...they are just there after you beat E4 instead of creating new bigger islands (not pocket size mirage islands) with culture and perhaps lore, some foreigners that settled there and brought outsider Pkmn that escaped and settled there, etc.
Perhaps it's just that people are rightfuly talking about their wishes/suggestions/expectations for it but I'm both cautious and not expecting the best nor much from GF at this point. :unsure:

I get what you're saying. And actually that is something that bugged me about some of the more recent region designs. I never liked how Alola situated a blazing hot desert and an arid rocky dryland right next to the big snowy mountain, and just to the north there's a beautiful foggy meadow and then an abandoned suburb with perpetual rain? And there's Snowbelle City in Kalos, which to me is the absolute worst example of hamfisting an archetypal "snowy" area where it clearly doesn't belong (especially since we'd already been through some earlier in the game!). The desert between Castelia City and Nimbasa City in Unova is also pretty jarring. So I would like it if they did take a more balanced, organic approach to environmental and wildlife diversity. That doesn't have to mean sacrificing the fantastical - the Glimwood Tangle and Ballonlea City have a really memorable, faerie world atmosphere, but it's weird how that's right above an area that feels closer to rural Mexico than anything in Britain with no transition. And then on the other side of Hammerlocke you have another dry, sandy area made of some kind of castle ruin that sharply leads to... ice and snow?

Honestly that stuff probably bugs me more than the Wild Area weather which I can at least handwave away as being caused by the Pokémon who prefer a given kind of weather (I know that's not a perfect answer for everyone but hey it works for me).

It's hard to say, on one hand, the developers have added a generation mechanic into a remake before. But on the other hand, I just don't see Dynamaxing fitting all that well. I don't mind Dynamaxing personally. It's not the best, but it's certainly not the worst. It just doesn't seem very, Sinnoh-like.

If they were to include it, I think it would work best as a Max Raid Den only sort of deal. The Dynamaxing and Max Raids do not take part of the story, it is not incorporated into gyms, and is maybe only mentioned by an NPC (kind of like how Dexio and Sina mention Mega Evolution to the player in SM). Then, Raid Dens are scattered around the routes, (someone mentioned underground maybe)?

That's not likely considering Game Freak's track record.
They ditched Z-moves and brought back Megas for Let's Go, so not totally out of the possibility. GameFreak have also been making more "independent" games (those with lesser connection to older entries). In fact, Sword and Shield have set a precedent by removing entire Pokémon and moves for unspecified time periods.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom