• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Will the potential DPP remakes feature Dynamax?

That's not likely considering Game Freak's track record.

The record that goes, "one generation kept them, one generation (which isn't over yet) didn't"? A 50/50 ratio doesn't indicate anything in particular.

Say what you want, but as of now, there are still more Switch Pokémon games that feature Mega Evolution (Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee and Rescue Team DX) than games that feature Dymamaxing instead (Sword/Shield).

I remain hopeful that they won't shoehorn Dymamaxing into the Sinnoh remakes, and even if Mega Evolution doesn't make it into these games, they might still bring it back once again for the (in my opinion) inevitable Johto Let's Go games.

The record that goes, "one generation kept them, one generation (which isn't over yet) didn't"? A 50/50 ratio doesn't indicate anything in particular.
They seem to like throwing out gimmicks in favor of a new one every gen. It's highly likely that the DP remakes will feature Dynamaxing/Gigantamaxing unless they are not made in Gen 8.

Sinnoh is definitely gonna have these. This is an opportunity for them to try something really cool. Eternatus is Poison/Dragon, and it could be the "plasma" of the other three members of the creation trio.

Say what you want, but as of now, there are still more Switch Pokémon games that feature Mega Evolution (Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee and Rescue Team DX) than games that feature Dymamaxing instead (Sword/Shield).
I agree. Actually, if we’re counting spin-offs, then Pokken Tournament DX and Smash Ultimate both feature it too.

I kind of hope they don't make Mega Evolution as the focus for the Diamond and Pearl remakes, they can add more Mega Evolutions without the mechanic itself being the focus of the story. This kind of thing already happened when Galarian evolutions were added without the plot giving them attention. As for Dynamax, I'm neutral to it, I don't care whether it makes it into the remakes or not.

Sinnoh is definitely gonna have these. This is an opportunity for them to try something really cool. Eternatus is Poison/Dragon, and it could be the "plasma" of the other three members of the creation trio.

When's the Bose-Einstein condensate dragon coming?

I'm not really sure what makes Poison plasmic (though truth be told I'm not sure what makes Eternatus poisonous), but I also am deeply skeptical of that interpretation of the Sinnoh trio to begin with, because Giratina explicitly represents antimatter, while Dialga and Palkia together are stated to represent regular matter (regardless of its state). Their typings are pretty easily explained by the simple logic of diamonds = famously hard and enduring = steel, pearls = come from sea creatures = water, and antimatter = unseen, transient, and spoooooky weird = ghost.

This kind of thing already happened when Galarian evolutions were added without the plot giving them attention.

I don't think that really equates. Galarian evolutions are just new Pokémon; there's nothing spectacular about the phenomenon as a whole since it's just a logical extension of regional variants, and there's, you know, only six of them. How would they even be worked into a theoretical plot? With something like Mega Evolution or Dynamax, they can get all deep-lore about where these unnatural mysterious~ powers~ originate from.

I doubt that DMax might return since its more of a Galar thing. Sure Mega Evolutions were in other games but thats a different story I guess?

You just made me realize how much I want a Bose-Einstein condensate dragon that is fire/dragon due to its extreme pressure.

Well, Dialga is steel, so solid. Palkia is water, so liquid. Giratina is the only one that literally flies (not floats) and is a spirit, so gas.

Eternatus is very plasma-esque to me.

You just made me realize how much I want a Bose-Einstein condensate dragon that is fire/dragon due to its extreme pressure.

[this is really cool]

Well, Dialga is steel, so solid. Palkia is water, so liquid. Giratina is the only one that literally flies (not floats) and is a spirit, so gas.

I understand the rationale, I'm just saying that it doesn't really make sense when Giratina is all about antimatter, so why would it also represent a state of matter? Especially when Dialga and Palkia are the ones said to be the origin of matter, with Giratina being their equal and opposite on the other side of reality. The purpose of Giratina and the Distortion World is to balance out the material world, represented in conjunction by Dialga and Palkia. Matter and antimatter keeping each other in order, because they are opposites of each other, regardless of state. In Giratina's world, the principles of time and space represented by Dialga and Palkia don't apply. "The two beings wished, and from them, matter came to be." But those two beings don't hold sway in the Distortion World, so matter doesn't exist there. Only antimatter, in all its states, just as the normal universe is composed of matter in all its states.

I'm also not sure I'd definitively say that Giratina doesn't float since its Origin Forme has Levitate.

And in what way is Giratina a spirit, or at least any more so than its brethren? They're all quasi-deities that reside in parallel dimensions.

Eternatus is very plasma-esque to me.

Fair enough - personally I get more of a radiation vibe from it, although I've also seen some people interpret it as a metaphor for nuclear power and its attendant potential benefits and risks.

[this is really cool]
[it being a fire type would be ironic, since Bose-Einstein condensates are the coldest state of matter]

I understand the rationale, I'm just saying that it doesn't really make sense when Giratina is all about antimatter, so why would it also represent a state of matter? Especially when Dialga and Palkia are the ones said to be the origin of matter, with Giratina being their equal and opposite on the other side of reality. The purpose of Giratina and the Distortion World is to balance out the material world, represented in conjunction by Dialga and Palkia. Matter and antimatter keeping each other in order, because they are opposites of each other, regardless of state. In Giratina's world, the principles of time and space represented by Dialga and Palkia don't apply. "The two beings wished, and from them, matter came to be." But those two beings don't hold sway in the Distortion World, so matter doesn't exist there. Only antimatter, in all its states, just as the normal universe is composed of matter in all its states.

I'm also not sure I'd definitively say that Giratina doesn't float since its Origin Forme has Levitate.

And in what way is Giratina a spirit, or at least any more so than its brethren? They're all quasi-deities that reside in parallel dimensions.
I say its a spirit because its Ghost-type.

Fair enough - personally I get more of a radiation vibe from it, although I've also seen some people interpret it as a metaphor for nuclear power and its attendant potential benefits and risks.
Yeah, I can see radiation, Dynamax and Gigantamax being seen as irradiated mutations.

They ditched Z-moves and brought back Megas for Let's Go, so not totally out of the possibility. GameFreak have also been making more "independent" games (those with lesser connection to older entries). In fact, Sword and Shield have set a precedent by removing entire Pokémon and moves for unspecified time periods.
If these games are in Gen 8, they are likely to feature Dynamaxing/Gigantamaxing because that's the new gimmick that they want to promote.

How did I miss this spicy thread?? Interesting discussion going on right under my nose and I don’t even notice it. :/

That aside...
I doubt that DMax might return since its more of a Galar thing. Sure Mega Evolutions were in other games but thats a different story I guess?
I disagree here. Wasn't Mega Evolution tied to Kalos as well, and then was retconned later when ORAS came out? For example, Lucario was said to be the first Pokemon to Mega Evolve, but in ORAS that was changed to Rayquaza. There's really nothing stopping GameFreak from retconning the already limited lore on D/Gmax to fit Sinnoh or whatever game they want to put it in.

If these games are in Gen 8, they are likely to feature Dynamaxing/Gigantamaxing because that's the new gimmick that they want to promote.
Agreed here. I don't really see the point in introducing a flashy new gimmick and then immediately dropping it in the same generation, only having it in one game.

I don't wanna rule out Mega Evolution or other gimmicks entirely, but I feel that Dynamax/Gigantamax have the highest chance of being in Sinnoh remakes.

Last edited:
I say its a spirit because its Ghost-type.

I guess, although I don't really see anything overtly spirit-ey about it, and certainly not all Ghost types are spirits. Seems more to me like a big solid boy, just like Dialga and Palkia (and on that note, I feel like if they were really going to make a set of Pokémon based on the phases of matter, the liquid one would actually be, you know... liquid, not just tenuously associated with it thanks to it bearing gems produced by sea creatures).

Also, circling back to what you said about it "flying, not floating, so gas," if anything, shouldn't it be the other way around? Far more Ghost-type Pokémon float than do fly, and I would probably sooner characterize gas as floating than flying. Giratina, of course, is fine with either depending on its form - Altered uses its wings to fly, while Origin has the ability to levitate and drift through space on its own, hence the wings dividing into extra tendrils instead.

(Amid all of this, ironically, there's Rotom not but a few Pokédex pages away - the Plasma Pokémon, who is a Ghost type.)

I disagree here. Wasn't Mega Evolution tied to Kalos as well, and then was retconned later when ORAS came out?

It was, but far more loosely than Dynamax is tied to Galar, where it's a fundamental part of the culture. Barely anyone in Kalos even knew what Mega Evolution was, and for the most part, it was studied only in this one location by this one particular bloodline.

That being said, you are right that nothing could stop them from putting it into Sinnoh if they wanted to - anything can be retconned, especially in a series this lax on continuity. It would just be more jarring given how much more Dynamax is a part of Galar's identity than Mega Evolution was of Kalos's. In theory, they could have even put Mega Evolution in Hoenn without contradicting the Kalos backstory at all, they just... didn't.

(That being said, G-Max Melmetal's Dex entry already breaks the claim of it being Galar-only, though I don't think we should take it too seriously: "In a distant land, there are legends about a cyclopean giant. In fact, the giant was a Melmetal that was flooded with Gigantamax energy.")

I really hope they add Gigantamax forms for pokémon of Gym Leaders. So Mismagius, Lucario, Floatzel, etc

If it'd ever bring Dynamax and Gigantamax, I can see Gigantamax Pikachu receive heart-shaped tail-cut for the female variants. Given DP was the first to have gender difference implement, G-Max Pikachu (and some other G-Maxed Pokemon whose base versions got differences, such as Venusaur and Butterfree), as well as Eeveelutions, would be the ones very likely to receive such treatment if DP remakes happen.

How did I miss this spicy thread?? Interesting discussion going on right under my nose and I don’t even notice it. :/

That aside...

I disagree here. Wasn't Mega Evolution tied to Kalos as well, and then was retconned later when ORAS came out? For example, Lucario was said to be the first Pokemon to Mega Evolve, but in ORAS that was changed to Rayquaza. There's really nothing stopping GameFreak from retconning the already limited lore on D/Gmax to fit Sinnoh or whatever game they want to put it in.

Agreed here. I don't really see the point in introducing a flashy new gimmick and then immediately dropping it in the same generation, only having it in one game.

I don't wanna rule out Mega Evolution or other gimmicks entirely, but I feel that Dynamax/Gigantamax have the highest chance of being in Sinnoh remakes.
Well that assumes that the Gen 4 remakes are indeed in Gen 8.

Well that assumes that the Gen 4 remakes are indeed in Gen 8.
Well... yeah. That post was created with the assumption that we were talking about hypothetical DPPt remakes in this generation.

More broadly, I figure DPPt remakes will mostly likely (try to) incorporate the current generation's gimmick rather that Mega Evolution if Megas aren't the generational gimmick.

Well... yeah. That post was created with the assumption that we were talking about hypothetical DPPt remakes in this generation.

More broadly, I figure DPPt remakes will mostly likely (try to) incorporate the current generation's gimmick rather that Mega Evolution if Megas aren't the generational gimmick.
That's what I'm saying, although I am mostly concerned about how Sinnoh would be portrayed if Dynamaxing was included.

although I am mostly concerned about how Sinnoh would be portrayed if Dynamaxing was included.
I feel, if Dynamax were to be included, it would be more like Megas in Hoenn where they're more cursory than the central focus. I don't think GameFreak would have to force Dynamax in Sinnoh to the level that it is in Galar.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom