• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon of the year 2021

Toxtricity

stay tuned for a stunning shock
Reaction score
Will there be voting for Pokémon of the year 2021?
I asked many,
I searched a lot,
But I didn't got any information on Pokémon of the year 2021.
So this year there's a 25th bloom incoming and this year without any is as if like amped without low-key.

Has anyone knows any information about this?

And how was the previous polls were managed as I'm curious to know that because I didn't got the opportunity to vote previous year.
Ok Let's make this more interesting, Which will be the Pokémon you would like to rise over the ranks (I can ask this, isn't it? This is not our political elections so)

I guess you would have guessed my option already,
Thank you
Your buddy
Toxtricity

Edit:
702.png

Dedenne #702
& Here's the result

Last edited:
Why would there need to be another popularity poll when we already got one last year? There's only been a couple new Pokemon since then and it's not even worth taking them into account by starting a whole new poll.

Some of the Cutest and most Awesome Pokemon were released in Gen 8, Toxtricity ALONE would totally shake up the rankings

As an statistics fan it makes me sad there won't be a yearly vote apparently, I wanted to see how the Pokemon changed during the years.

However I doubt past generations' rankings would have changed much, and in Gen 8's I could see Dracovish and Dracozolt being waaaay higher and Urshifu and Calyrex making it to the Top 30 at least.

Look up Pokemon of the year 2021. There was a japanese pole about this topic and the results are shown on the newsweek link. And if you aren't happy with that than there is a link to the actual site in the document.

投票結果:総合

Here you go OP! @Toxtricity

This is a HUGE difference compared to last year's poll.

Then again it's because this was mostly a Primarily Japan voting instead of having voters from all over the World like Last year.

Here's the results of the Top 30 overall

IMG_20210305_234414.jpg
IMG_20210305_234416.jpg
IMG_20210305_234418.jpg

I'm going to assume Barbaracle, Dedenne, Magnemite, and Buzzwole probably got up that high because those Pokémon are considered "Memes" in Japan just like how Snom is here in the West lol

The rest I'm not too surprised about so there's not much for me to say here

Anyways here's the Results of the Galar Region Only

Screenshot_2021-02-25-09-56-54-1.png
Screenshot_2021-02-25-09-57-39-1.png
Screenshot_2021-02-25-11-17-39-1.png
Screenshot_2021-02-25-11-18-10-1.png
Screenshot_2021-02-25-11-19-52-1.png
Screenshot_2021-02-25-11-20-36-1.png
Screenshot_2021-02-25-11-21-03-1.png

At first I was caught off guard by Inteleon's ranking but then I remembered that this Poll is was overtaken by the Japanese Fans and last year Inteleon was the 4th Most Popular Galar Pokémon in Japan's Famitsu Poll only behind Corviknight, Alcremie and Yamper

How did Inteleon beat the Top 3 you wonder?

Well I personally believe the Anime probably played a helping hand in that.

-Corviknight only got a small cameo in Episode 2

-Alcremie hasn't even debuted yet

-Yamper while appearing multiple times, mostly just had minor appearances and also got shafted in favor of Eevee.

Inteleon, while only Debut in one Episode so far, still had a pretty good showing in it and not to mention that Episode also aired VERY recently (wasn't even a full month at the time) so it was probably still fresh on people's minds

The Greatest Shock here is Cinderace not even making Top 10 in it's own Region much less not being in the Top 30 overall.

I would've expected it to have beaten Inteleon over Japan by now but I guess not?

But then again looking at that poll it seems like Japan also heavily Favors Water Starters

(Charizard is literally the only Fire Starter in the Top 30. Meanwhile, Piplup, Oshawott, Empoleon, Greninja and Inteleon are all up there...)

Polteageist being in #2nd Place in the Galar Region is also kinda a shock too.

Mostly because I barely see anyone talking about it. Didn't think a lot of people cared about it.

"Eleven" being ranked at #12 is actually kinda funny

Also Surprised Drizzile ranked higher than Raboot! Wasn't expecting that

The Whole Sobble Line made into the Top 20!

Rillaboom is now the most popular of it's Line. VGC must've really helped it!

Also means Grookey might be free to Evolve in the Anime!

I'm very sad Toxtricity ranked low here...
The lack of Marketing and Promotion surely hasn't helped.
I'm sure when it appears in the Anime and we see more of it, surely it'll become popular again

Hoenn and Galar are currently the only Generations where all 3 Starters Final Stages are more popular than their Base Stages (in Japan at least)

Can we PLEASE talk about how Google Translated Yamper and Cramorant's Japanese Names?!!! XD

Also look at the Number of Votes Rillaboom got! XD

Last edited:
Japan sure is weird. Out of all the underrated Pokemon they choose Cinccino and Barbaracle?And Greedent? That's the reason why that thing keeps getting so much focus over a lot of Galar mons who deserve it more...

At least my Marshtomp made it into the Top 30. :bulbaLove:
It's interesting how this new poll is basically Japanese exclusive and has such a great variety of Pokemon in the Top 10 that aren't all completely predictable.
Actually the whole of the Top 10 is completely different. Also, Japan seems to care less about fully evolved forms and legendaries.

Last edited:
Japan sure is weird. Out of all the underrated Pokemon they choose Cinccino and Barbaracle?

At least my Marshtomp made it into the Top 30. :bulbaLove:
Cinccino was already extremely Popular and Marketable over there with as much Fanart and merchandise I've seen of it (still even to this day).

I think Barbaracle is a "meme" over there kinda like how Snom is a Meme here in the West

Actually the whole of the Top 10 is completely different. Also, Japan seems to care less about fully evolved forms and legendaries.
Well Japan IS the reason why a lot of Pokémon never evolved in the anime

I have done analysis the most popular starter evolution line for each region is, Kanto: Pikachu, or bulbasaur if you don't count that, Johto: Cyndaquil, hoenn: Mudkip(I herd u liek mudkipz), Sinnoh: Piplup and empoleon were the most popular sinnoh mons, and the only other starter in top 10 was prinplup, Unova: Snivy, Kalos: Froakie, Alola: Rowlet, Galar: Sobble. Most popular of each type: Fire: Charmander, Grass: Snivy, Water: Piplup. And for all who want to know, glaceon is most popular eeveelution.

Pretty sure the Charmander line is the most popular Kanto Starter evolution line
I'm counting the entire line, and while charizard was more popular than bulbasaur by about 3,000 votes, venusaur beat out charmander by around 8,000. Neither of the middle stages made it in.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom