• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Will we FINALLY get difficultly levels in Gen 8?

Will Difficulty levels be included?

• For sure!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No chance at all

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • It might happen

Votes: 15 65.2%
  • Who cares!

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters

MrMeowPuss

Reaction score
With Pokémon now heading to the switch, what are the chances of us getting proper difficultly levels in the 2019 game?

I know they were included in BW but not from the start. They also have more potential than what was utilized in BW.

Any speculation on how they could affect the games?

It was a feature exclusive to BW2, through the Unova Link.
And this proves... what? Special abilities and contest conditions also started out as features exclusive to one game. What's the difference?

Really, nothing's stopping them from reviving the feature by some other method in a future game. Obviously it won't be Unova Link.

I don't think so. Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon has been one of the hardest Pokémon games in general, and it's not arcade-based. Even tho there are modern games offering different difficulties, Pokémon isn't going that way. Also, space limitations, so Game Freak won't do that.

and it's not arcade-based
????

Arcade games aren't the only games with difficulty settings??
Also, space limitations, so Game Freak won't do that.
They've done it before on the 3DS, and the Switch has more storage than that-it shouldn't be a problem. (Difficulty is just a variable that determine alternate teams depending on what's selected-it shouldn't take up that much space)

I personally feel it would be possible, I'm just not sure if they will allow it.

I know with LGPE when you transfer Pokémon from Go they scale the level/CP down to match your current level. This shows they are able to do level scaling so whether or not they implement it for wild Pokémon/trainer levels is another thing.

The Switch's hardware seems to allow for some good advances so let's hope that difficulty levels are something we will see in next years game :D

If there were, which I couldn't guess one way or the other, I hope they don't label them as "easy" "normal" "hard". Something like "Youngster" "Ace Trainer" "Gym Leader" "Champion" would be neat.
Youngster and Veteran would be names I'd approve as you could say they have double meanings; the trainer classes and the generations of Pokémon fans.

And this proves... what? Special abilities and contest conditions also started out as features exclusive to one game. What's the difference?

Really, nothing's stopping them from reviving the feature by some other method in a future game. Obviously it won't be Unova Link.
They like keeping features exclusive to certain games to give them a unique selling point.

They like keeping features exclusive to certain games to give them a unique selling point.
I believe features are exclusive only if they are something that would only be in that region, such as the Pokemon World Tournament in B2W2.

Since difficulty levels don't really represent something unique to a region there's no reason they could be included again.

I doubt it'll happen. GF would be too scared of kids not being finish the game, and they are always all or nothing for these decisions. Even in BW2, it was only avalible after you beat the champion, and only in Black 2, probably to ensure little kids wouldn't get stuck and not figure out how to change the difficulty. If there was a hard mode in upcoming games, it probably only be avalible post game.

If you want a challenging Nintendo RPG, go play FE Fates on Conquest on the hardest difficulty. That gave will give you PTSD for months.

GF would be too scared of kids not being finish the game
Isn't that all the more reason to include a difficulty setting? If a kid's having trouble with the standard difficulty, an easy mode could be helpful.
and only in Black 2
This thread's about being able to adjust difficulty to be harder or easier, not just to make it harder.
probably to ensure little kids wouldn't get stuck and not figure out how to change the difficulty.
The language setting can't even be changed-I think if they're confident that kids understand an options menu enough to set something like that right on the first try (a logical expectation IMO), then they could accept difficulty being changed in the same manner.
If you want a challenging Nintendo RPG, go play FE Fates on Conquest on the hardest difficulty. That gave will give you PTSD for months.
Fire Emblem and Pokemon are pretty different games-someone asking for a harder Pokemon game isn't necessarily going to enjoy another game just because it's hard. (And PTSD's really not something to make light of...)

Isn't that all the more reason to include a difficulty setting? If a kid's having trouble with the standard difficulty, an easy mode could be helpful.

This thread's about being able to adjust difficulty to be harder or easier, not just to make it harder.

The language setting can't even be changed-I think if they're confident that kids understand an options menu enough to set something like that right on the first try (a logical expectation IMO), then they could accept difficulty being changed in the same manner.

Fire Emblem and Pokemon are pretty different games-someone asking for a harder Pokemon game isn't necessarily going to enjoy another game just because it's hard. (And PTSD's really not something to make light of...)
When I meant by Black 2, I meant that the challenge key could only be obtained in Black 2, while the Easy Key could only be obtained in White 2. The idea of siblings making it easier to aid them was one reasons for the keys. I suppose I could see them creating an even easier mode, but I guess GF believes that the Game is easy enough for players to beat. ( Which Is good, since most fans don't need an easier mode. )

As for language settings, my guess is that its a lot straight forward than difficulty, since they can recognize and choose the language themselves. As for difficulty, its not like they can "choose" to get out of it, they have to fight for it, hence no abillity to adjust it.

Also while were on the "difficulty", what do you exactly mean? Do you want the opponent to have a Mega Salamence set with Dragon Dance, Double Edge, Earthquake and Roost like in Battle Spot Singles, or do you just want just a few higher levels like in BW2? If your hoping for the former, its never going to happen. Even if there are more adults than kids playing Pokemon, Pokemon is meant for kids. And kids are more likely to give up if a game is difficult, thus keeping it easy to promote playing.

The idea of siblings making it easier to aid them was one reasons for the keys.
And it's a terrible design choice. A feature as fundamental as a difficulty setting shouldn't be a post-game unlock, and assuming that every child that struggled with the games would have an older sibling who beat White 2 is a ridiculous conclusion for GF to jump to.
As for language settings, my guess is that its a lot straight forward than difficulty, since they can recognize and choose the language themselves.
And children can't recognize the difference between the words easy and hard?
As for difficulty, its not like they can "choose" to get out of it, they have to fight for it, hence no abillity to adjust it.
We're not just discussing the BW2 difficulty levels-we're also discussing the possibility of having the difficulty setting without having to complete the story first, like most games have. And even though BW2 had its ridiculous requirement, the setting was still totally adjustable when it was obtained.

Also while were on the "difficulty", what do you exactly mean? Do you want the opponent to have a Mega Salamence set with Dragon Dance, Double Edge, Earthquake and Roost like in Battle Spot Singles, or do you just want just a few higher levels like in BW2? If your hoping for the former, its never going to happen. Even if there are more adults than kids playing Pokemon, Pokemon is meant for kids. And kids are more likely to give up if a game is difficult, thus keeping it easy to promote playing.
Nobody is asking for the games to be made harder and lock out people who don't want to play harder games-they're asking for the option to choose between a harder game and an easier one. That's why the thread is titled "Difficulty levels", not "more difficulty".

Well in my ideal situation difficulty would determine the level of wild Pokémon and trainers. So for example:
  • On easy, trainers and wild Pokémon would always be 2 - 5 levels lower than yours and be less competitive in battles
  • On normal, trainers and wild Pokémon be within 2 levels of you, either higher or lower. The battling will work the same as it is now
  • On hard, trainers and wild Pokémon will be 3-6 levels higher than you and be more competitive like they are in battle spot.
If the opponents levels are scaled according to yours, then you can freely travel throughout the map without restriction too.

Even just having a very basic version that bases the opponents levels on yours and they could be higher/lower depending on your setting.

I personally disagree it's meant for kids, I believe it is targeted towards all ages. That why in the competitive scene, they have different age classes. Whenever I go to Pokémon events or game releases it's mostly adults there too.

Pokémon games can be simple or complex depending on how you look at it. You could go through the games just doing battles as they are or get into EV/IV's, held items and all the other things.

I actually wouldn't mind. Though, in my case, I want an easier option so that I can breeze through the game without fucking around doing level grinding. Just because I'm an adult doesn't mean I want an extra challenge - I've got an actual life outside games, and they come with commitments.

I believe features are exclusive only if they are something that would only be in that region, such as the Pokemon World Tournament in B2W2.

Since difficulty levels don't really represent something unique to a region there's no reason they could be included again.
They do this for other features, like seasons, rustling grass, double wild grass, sky battles, honey trees, and ball seals.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom