• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Will you ever grow out of Pokémon?

I'll quit playing when they quit making new Pokémon. Since I've tried to raise as many different species as I could during each generation, I'm not too keen on them stopping the flow of new ones in anytime soon.

I might start saying "screw it" to catching them all, which I've managed to do on Yellow, Gold, Ruby, FireRed, and Diamond, though I've still been passively trying to on Platinum.

But considering how much things have improved as far as team-building and strategy goes since Gen I, as long as those keep being made, they've got a reason for me to keep coming back.

one thing I'd like to say. Never give up on something jsut to be cool. In my book, that makes you uncool. And idiotic because I don't really support mob mentality. I stopped playing pokemon for a while cause I was trying out other things. But pokemon called me home.

one thing I'd like to say. Never give up on something jsut to be cool. In my book, that makes you uncool. And idiotic because I don't really support mob mentality. I stopped playing pokemon for a while cause I was trying out other things. But pokemon called me home.

Agreed, it's my childhood and i will never get tired, no matter what people say or think.

Probably not. I mean, contrary to popular belief, Pokemon doesn't cater exclusively to the kids demographic (if demographics even existed). I play games for the entertainment value in the same way people watch movies or read books. I also love RPGs, and pokemon is a really good one. I can't see myself leaving it because it's so fun.
That's the truth. Around 2000, there were lots of Pokemon fans in my country....now, I know only 6. Guess they "outgrew" it. Cowards.......

And I'm still waiting for a Pokemon MMO...
That would ROCK!

I don't think I'll grow out of Pokemon.
Maybe I will slowly become uninterested, but I will never grow out of Pokemon.

Heck, I even watch shows that are solely meant for children, simply because I enjoy them.

WOW, Is like reading my story. Except the "cool" part. I stopped my connection to Pokemon when I was 12(now I am 20) because I stopped having access to Pokemon and became super interested in animals and stuff like that. I would always watch the Pokemon series in Mexico in Spanish, and when I moved to Texas I just stopped watching it. I remember leaving off on the Johto series. I got the DS a while back from my sister and had no games but Mario Bros. My boyfriend bought me Pearl and that is how Pokemon came back to my life. We started watching Pokemon series together and I bought him a DS and Pokemon Diamond. Now we both have our own Platinum. I have to admit that I am addicted to Pokemon and I have become very knowledgeable about the dinamics of the games. However, there are still many things that I have to catch up with.

I love Pokemon and I simply think it's awesome.

wow i think we are from the same generation i too stopped watching at johto i only played up to gold vers and never touched pokemon until last year during my long end of year break when one of my brother's fren brought ova a ds with pearl on it and for sum reason i had a mad urge for it and went to buy a ds lite and the game 2 days later :) becoz im older now, i dun have to actually be asking for permission from my parents ;) the only difference now is that i have no frens hu play and to be honest the only person hu i thought wud play it with me thinks that im childish...:( so i just play alone in my room (weirdly enuff my parents dun seem to be bothered one bit)

I was 9 when Pokemon was popular here (1999) and was really into it back then. I wasted pretty much all my money on Pokemon cards and wasted hours and hours of time playing the game (blue/red). Though 'wasted' wouldn't be appropriate. I think Pokemon, due its game dynamics is actually quite the tactical and strategical game. Even back then, these kind of things were present. Therefore I can say that Pokemon might even make kids smarter? Due to them having to think a lot.

Anyway, I stayed loyal to Pokemon cards until the end of primary school (in Europe that is on the age of 12). I quit following Pokemon when they started airing episodes I had already seen for the third time (age 13). I stayed loyal to the games though. Never been embarrassed about it really, many people play the Pokemon games of all ages. And I find it amusing and pleasant to play, so have been with it ever since then.

Of course whenever a game comes out, I will play it obsessively to end up stopping when I have had a playtime of over 300 hours (average). Maybe with HGSS having a pimped up Wi-Fi battling method, I can extend it some more.

I'm 19 now and still crazy about Pokemon. I even watch the series if it happens to be on. Still have my Pokemon cards stocked up in a drawer together with my Pokemon games (except for Pearl/Platinum). Don't think I'll ever grow out of it. Even if I do, it'll come back to me once I get children or something. =P

I would love to say I won't, but it would be ignorant to claim that. Pokemon might change, I might change - there are lots of reason why I might eventually loose interest in it. But even if that does happen, it won't happen for the next couple of years. All that matters is that I'm batshit crazy over it right now, and having fun.

I don't think I will. I still play it even though most people in my high school think it's "uncool." They're fun games and as long as they're still fun for me, I'll keep playing them.

Hopefully if I get a girlfriend/wife she won't care that I like Pokemon. But yeah I doubt I'll ever "grow" out of Pokemon. And to be honest I don't see why some "older" people do.

I mean in my opinion Pokemon is/could just be like sports. I mean we have like forty year old rooting for their favorite football team, as well as a lot of people like other sports as well (and it usually starts at a young age as well).

That's what I see Pokemon as, I mean even if it's targeted for younger audiences I can't help but imagine if Pokemon were real. Would those older people still think Pokemon was lame, even after Charizard lights a fire under their butt? That's why I still like Pokemon, just thinking how cool it would be if they were real is just enough for me to be a fan for life.

I would hate for Pokemon to continue after I'm dead because I would likely miss all the new stuff. On the other hand, I hope Pokemon never ends.

I really doubt it. Specially since one of the reasons I work where I do is because of Pokemon. XD

Only if Nintendo messes it up, but even then, I'll still play the games. So, nope. :)

Let’s put it this way. If you like something in the entertainment media whether it’s a TV Show, video game, etc. and if it makes you happy and enjoy it, then why should you “grow out of it”.

I was 15 years old when Pokémon came to the U.S. back in ‘98, so I was already “too old” for it. Yet, here we are in 2009 and I have been enjoying this franchise all this time and taking time out of my day to post this message on this website. As long as I continue to enjoy Pokémon then I’ll continue to support it for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom