• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Will you miss contests if they leave the show?

Will you miss contests if they leave the show?

• Total voters

Cardcaptor Sakura

Cardcaptor Forever!!!
Reaction score
Hey, I just joined. But I've been reading for a while, and I know there is lots of talk of whether contests will be here next saga or not.

Contests have become such a big deal, rivals like Drew and Zoey recurring constantly and what not.

Well, my question is, if contests are no more, will you miss them?

I don't know. Although I like Dawn, contests weren't on the show originally, so if they were to leave, it wouldn't really matter to me.

There were 8 years worth of contests in the anime. That was enough.

Between May and Dawn, as well as Jessie, they've done all they can with contest related characters and episodes.

I'm ready for them to be replaced with something new. Seeing three coordinator girls in a row is beyond repetitive.

Between May and Dawn, as well as Jessie, they've done all they can with contest related characters and episodes.

I'm ready for them to be replaced with something new. Seeing three coordinator girls in a row is beyond repetitive.

I agree entirely. It's not like May and Dawn didn't/won't get closure anyway.

I'm still wondering how eight years of Contests is enough when Gym battles have been around for thirteen years, but I don't see a lot of demand for them to be replaced. I also don't think that they've done all they can with Contests. We don't know what kind of upgrades Contests will have in BW, assuming that there will be Contests in those games. I don't see a reason for them to suddenly disappear, either in the games or the series, so they could do something more with them depending on Black and White.

As for three coordinator girls, I wouldn't mind that. As long as she's interesting, has good Pokemon, teaches them moves and/or has better rivals, I'd be happy with that. Besides that, the show itself is beyond repetitive.

Anyway, I would be kind of sad if Contests were replaced. While I prefer most of the AG Contests over most of the DP ones, they still were fairly enjoyable and something different to see than just Ash training or doing his own battles. I also like how they made Contests much more interesting in the series than they are in any of the games. That's pretty cool.

I can't really see what kind of event that would appeal to girls just like Contests they could use now. Plus, after being just as about as important as Gyms, it would be really weird to see Contests suddenly dropped. If it happens, I'll be kind of disappointed, but then I'll hope that the new event is enjoyable to watch too. If it doesn't happen, I'll be happy and hope that I can like the new female coordinator this time around.

ME NEEDS DA SPARKLEZZZZZZZ. It's my crack. Don't judge me...

Anyway, I don't think they've done everything they can with contests, I don't even think they've done everything they can with Dawn as a character. Unless there's a new (new as in not pokéthlon) quest in the games that can take the place of contests (again Pokethlon cannot do that, we've all seen the episode and just imagining main girl having training session to teach her pokémon to hurdle dash gives me headaches), I don't see contests being booted. They appeal to a different demographic, the anime formula for contests gives them an arc, a status equal to gyms and League with the Grand Festival, and it means the main girls does something.

After May, people said Dawn shouldn't be a coordinator because it would be repetitive and turns out that Dawn's arc was completely different than May's.

COME ON, THE LEAFEON HAS WINGS. You can't make this shit up.

Sorry, I'm in dire need of da sparklez... Grand Festival be here already.

Last edited:
Well, I am uncertain. While I would think three story arcs of contests starring two different coordinators is enough, it is not for me to determine. I would welcome a new second quest, but if contests stay, I won't be too discouraged. It all depends on Black and White...

LMAO @ Gible!

While I do think Contests are good, they are getting a bit, dry.

Although I like May's more than Dawn's, Dawn's was more realistic.

I have to say, they are better than what Misty was doing. I liked Misty and everything, but she never really took any steps in achieving her goals or anything.

So, if contests prevents the next girl from fading in the background like Misty did at times, than so be it.

Dawn did a lot more in her first what 55 episodes, than Misty did overall.

Not to bash Misty, just saying. Contests didn't hurt this show alright.

So long Contests! You may have been better than the games, but I still didn't like you!

Yes. The AG contests were meh. But Sinnoh made me love them. If they leave, it'll make the show somewhat boring, IMO.

Maybe if they jazzed 'em up. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the contests!

I liked contests in AG when they were first introduced.
I found them ok in D/P with Dawn's story arc, though her rivals were lame.
I have no idea what they could do next for a new story. They've already done so much with them. I think its time to retire contests now and start a new fun side quest for two series. I don't think I can take another restart, for gyms its different cuz we've been seeing the same character do the same thing the entire show. With contests no, we just see the same thing over and over again with new characters, it gets annoying. So, no I won't miss them now.

No. I want to try the Japanese Diamond and Pearl series to see if they are any good though(the English version is, to me, like watching a newer 4Kids show *shivers*)

Why yes, yes I will. I thought that every contest got better and better and I do look forward to see if BW will do anything else with them in the games and the anime. I'm still interested in what the new event might be in BW anyway, since I know I'll end up eating that up.

no it's a waste of time ash wants gym battles more then watching people perform

I think that some of the appeals are creative and sparkly, but I kinda don't care for them much. I much prefer the rival interaction and stuff that comes WITH the contest (and since it was kinda lacking this season, I'm not sure if I can enjoy the next one...)

For me it depends entirely on what they replace them with, if they replace them with anything.

But yeah in order for me to say yes or no I'd have to know about the show's format for this idea without contests.

Yes I'll miss it if all we get are gym battles and something resembling Johto's pace without so much as something to make it less filler-ish for the next gen. Or I'll miss it if they replace it with something stupid.

No I probably wouldn't miss it (very much) if they could replace it with something that can rival contests or surpass it in terms of entertainment.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom