• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bolt Strike

Bringing the Thunder
Reaction score
So just yesterday, Microsoft released their new version of Windows, Windows 10. Have you installed it yet? How well is it running? What do you like or not like about it? Discuss.

I've yet to install mine since I'm still a bit apprehensive about it. I run Windows 7 and from what I've read, I think I'm better off just sticking with 7. Why fix what isn't broken?

I installed it, and I did run into some problems, but it didn't take long to take care of them. After I installed it, I started getting an Internal Power Error a minute or two after logging in which would force my computer to restart. As it turns out, some of the graphics and video card drivers don't work with Windows 10 and I needed to disable one of my graphics cards and update it. Beyond that though, I haven't ran into any problems yet.

As far as new features, there doesn't seem to be much difference from Windows 8.1, but what they did change is a definite improvement. The Start menu is simplified and works more like it does in earlier versions of Windows. Apps aren't shoved in your face and work more like normal programs. And Cortana lets you access pretty much anything from the desktop. This feels like what Windows 8 should've been.

After the monstrosity that was Windows 8, I'm reluctant to upgrade. I'll stick with 7 for now.

I installed it. I particularly enjoy it. Firefox is struggling a little bit with frequent crashes, but I'm chalking it up to the software not being realized to run on the platform yet. It hasn't been entirely without fault though.

Where it shines for me so far is the UI. It's sleek and well thought out. Yes, if you want to append an application as default, you have to go through one more screen than previously, but it's no different than if you changed the default app in Linux. The theme is a nice touch too. I don't know what they've gone and called it, but the new icon pack in particular is tasty.

I'll make sure to come back and give my full opinion after I've tried out a few other things (Sony Acid Studio, Steam, Adobe Premier) but I'm liking it right now.

I reserved the free upgrade, just waiting for it to arrive on my laptop and install. My email said it'll come from anywhere to a few days to a few weeks... I hope it isn't the latter. xP

The W10 Mail app doesn't sort newsletters and social updates like the 8.1 version did, instead it's just as cluttered as using my web browser. Also, marking emails as read doesn't sync them as read on the server anymore.
And I can't share videos from the news app anymore.
Updating the Xbox app seems a waste, the streaming thing downscales the XB1 resolution and even then is a bit choppy, Master Chief Collection kept randomly quitting matchmaking presumably because streaming took up too much bandwidth They should've just let us play our Xbox One discs in the Xbox app instead of this crappy streaming thing, more people would buy XB1 games that way.
Also I don't like the settings app, I rarely used it in 8.1 but it's mandatory now since they removed several control panel items in favor of the settings app counterparts, this is minor though since it still does the same things.
And lastly personalization is very limited, the metro menu and task bar now share a color theme and the color palette is very limited, my 8.1 theme which I had been using since 7 is no longer fully compatible. I've gone from a pink desktop to a purple one because I don't like any of the pinks in 10's color palette.
Cortana worked just fine on my WP8 smartphone I used to have, but I'm having trouble getting it to hear my voice on W10, I have all the same region settings that I had on my phone and I even did a mic test on Skype and I could hear my voice clearly.

Only good things about downgrading are the new start menu has a more organized programs list than 8.1 and 7, DX12 which if I recall was originally announced for 8.1 and the updated Xbox app will finally have actual Xbox games instead of Windows Phone games (again, they should've just put this in 8.1 and let us natively play XB1 games instead of porting a select few.) Of course, this is all meaningless since I bought an Xbox One in May so I have no need to play XB1 games on PC.

I might just go back to 8.1

Last edited:
...They should've just let us play our Xbox One discs in the Xbox app....
But then aren't you just running the game on your PC then? That's counterproductive when one of the big draws of console development is the console's fixed hardware specs.

...They should've just let us play our Xbox One discs in the Xbox app....
But then aren't you just running the game on your PC then? That's counterproductive when one of the big draws of console development is the console's fixed hardware specs.
Most games get PC ports anyways. As for Xbox One exclusives having trouble on the wrong specs, last game I bought on Steam had graphics glitches, probably because it was designed for PS4 and XB1's AMD hardware and poorly ported, so this wouldn't be a new issue.

Last edited:
I've been running the Technical Preview since it was announced, and as such, I've seen it go through many phases. I preferred the original Start Menu in the earlier builds, as the searching was far faster, but I've grown used to the new Start Menu. The new UI is an excellent improvement over 7, and somewhat of an improvement over 8. (I quite like 8 on the visual side) Cortana is a bit sensitive and uses Bing, which is a shame. I wish you could set her default search engine to Google. I use Cortana mostly to check the weather on the fly, but I usually don't bother with reminders or anything else, really.

Xbox integration is still a useless trend that will be abandoned just like GFWL. I mean, seriously, streaming Xbox One games to PC? It should be the other way around, considering PCs are far more powerful than any "next-gen" console. At least with this, we're getting more Xbox exclusives to PC, such as Gears of War. Hopefully Halo and Forza are next on the list. Those games could be good DX12 tech demos.

Performance for me has been far better than my performance on Windows 7, granted my motherboard hates Windows 7 to start with. Boot times have been amazing, even before I started to boot from an SSD, and everything feels far more snappy. Crashed more on Windows 7 than the early builds of Windows 10. lol

And for those holding off on upgrading, you have a year to do so. Microsoft will be ending support for Windows 7 and 8 pretty soon, because this is the "last version" of Windows. It will be treated as a service from now on, being continually updated. If you're a gamer, should upgrade just for DX12 support, it's not coming to 7 or 8.

I've yet to install mine since I'm still a bit apprehensive about it. I run Windows 7 and from what I've read, I think I'm better off just sticking with 7. Why fix what isn't broken?

Exactly this! I never liked windows 8 and my current laptop is a windows 7.

I'm eligible for the upgrade, but I'm going to abstain from getting it. I'm not a huge fan of the newer Windows versions, so I'll have to pass on this one. Maybe in the future I'll upgrade to it when I get a newer computer, but for now, I'll pass.

I've upgraded mine the first day without really reading any reviews or anything of the like, and quite honestly I really don't regret it. On rare occasions my laptop has had to restart, but it the boot time is amazing. It's most likely because my laptop is 4 years old, but it used to take ages for it to start up and I hated the wait. Now it only takes mere minutes. This might relate to me just using the very minimal on my laptop, but I haven't downloaded many apps so I have no complaints about 10.

I don't have it, but my computer keeps pestering me to update to Windows 10.

I have windows 10, it's still buggy, didn't let me use my mouse at first. I keep getting blue screens and some functions stop functioning all of a sudden. I get no wi-fi sometmes.

Still better than 8

The verdict seems to be "better than 8 but not 7". 8 has these constant delusions that it's being run on a touchscreen and 10 mostly fixes it.

I recently took the upgrade for one of my laptops running 8.1, and was very pleased that it was able to migrate the system configuration basically intact, i.e. no need to re-install every app from scratch. Had to download the newer version of Firefox (the background color Bookmarks sidebar seemed to be extending up into the tabs and titlebar area, it otherwise worked fine) and the few apps I use most are so far running just fine.

Both my computer and my tablet are running Windows 7. Can't see the point buying Windows 10, when I don't have a specific reason to use Windows 10, and when I can get a second hand computer/tablet for several hundred dollars cheaper, and they work just fine, regardless of the operating system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom