• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Winter Awards 2016: Nomination Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AceTrainer14

The acest of trainers
Reaction score
Happy 2016 everyone! It’s been a bloody long year, hasn’t it? It may not have gone the way many people would’ve liked, and it does give the impression of refusing to end (my own Prime Minister resigned today for no reason, so that’s ace), but that doesn’t mean we still can’t party – and what better way to do that then with the awards!

The awards is a celebration of our work over the last six months. Any user, new or old, can take part, and you are allowed to nominate both your own work and that of someone else. You have a week (or until 10PM December 12th NZT) to PM me with your nominations.

Once the nomination period is over, the voting round will begin in which everyone will have a chance to vote for their favourites of the nominees. The voting will narrow the field down, and the stories and characters that make it through will go on to the judging round, where our amazing volunteer judges will decide on winners!

For the rules and a reminder of the categories, click the spoiler below. Even if you're a seasoned veteran, please read the rules anyway. Things may have changed since last time. A detailed explanation of the categories is available in the Hall of Fame for any first time nominators or people looking for a brush up (Note for older voters: the definitions of Dark and Expansion have been widened).

The categories:
-Best Journey Fic
-Best Dark Fic
-Best Crossover/Non-Pokémon Fic
-Best Expansion
-Best Alternate
-Best Protagonist
-Best Antagonist
-Best Supporting Character
-Best Pokémon Character

The rules:
- When nominating your own work, you can nominate two stories/characters per category. You must also nominate at least one character and one story written by someone else that has not already been nominated. Otherwise, your self-nomination will not qualify. When you are nominating someone else's work, you can nominate no more than one story and one character in each category.

- A link to each story must be provided for ease of checking your work. Your entry will be void if you do not submit a link and I will not be reminding you. Any entries which are not properly filled out will be ignored.

Please submit links like this:

Step One: Highlight the name of the story
stepone_zpsncwqjoea.png

Step Two: Click this icon
steptwo_zpsl7mf5fu9.png

Step Three: Paste the link in the red box
stepthree_zpsuu0skcga.png

Step Four: You’re done! It should look like this
stepfour_zpsohic9mq8.png

- Fics that have been published or updated since June 12th are eligible for these Awards. Any character you nominate must have appeared in a chapter that has been posted during this period. You can update your work up until the end of the voting period for it to be counted during judging. If your story makes it into the judging round, we ask that you do not edit your past work on this site during that period.

- Any story that has previously won an award must have at least 20k words of new content posted since it was last judged in order to be eligible this season.

- Any one story or character cannot be nominated in more than one category. Generally it is up to the author which category a story or character belongs in, but the moderators can change this if the story/character obviously does not belong there.

- If a story or character has previously won in one category, it cannot be submitted into any other category without a providing a reasonable explanation as to why the change should be allowed. The moderators will decide if the change is warranted.

- Do not ask people to nominate your work, as there is no point since you can just do it yourself.

Please feel free to ask for any further clarifications if my rambling makes no sense, which is often the case. I encourage everyone to double check the content of their story before submitting and see if it can fit outside of the traditional Journey and Alternate. If your story has elements of Expansion or Dark to it, I would recommend submitting in those categories so we can try for a more even spread of work.

You have a week, so get reading! We are always looking for new judges to join our team so if you want to give it a crack please send me a message! It basically just involves reading two stories over three weeks minimum – not a huge ask and does not take very long.

Thank you and good luck to all!

Below are stories and characters that are currently ineligible for nomination. If you wish to withdraw one or more of your characters or stories from contention, please let me know and I will add them to this list. Please double check here before nominating:

How to Conquer Kanto in Eight Easy Steps by AceTrainer14
Survival Project by diamondpearl876
Communication by Sike Saner
Unpredictable by AetherX
The Long Walk by Beth Pavell
Storm Island by Kimberly Prescott
Psychic Duelist Django by CynthiaLover

Last edited:
You can now submit your nominations.

I will be updating them here under the spoiler banner in the order I receive them.

Best Journey:
Land of the Roses by Eliza Prescott
A Sine of Things to Come: a Journey of Rediscovery by chaos_Leader
Love and Other Nightmares by diamondpearl876
Illumination by VTP-Dawkins93
Pokemon: A Marvelous Journey by Juliko

Best Expansion
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Legends Unraveled by lucarioknight56
Pokemon Island Sun by LightningTopaz
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Ghosts of the Past by GastlyGibus
A New Frontier by Mia Blaze
From X to Y by Mia Blaze

Best Dark Fic
Phantom Project by diamondpearl876
{some rise by sin} by kintsugi

Best Crossover/Non-Pokémon Fic
Evanescene by ArvAl
Bee-Nevolent by TwinklingCupcake

Best Alternate
Malegænt by Constellation
Pokemon Academy Year III: Childhood's End by Flaze
Flying in the Dark by diamondpearl876
{the wizard's word} by kintsugi
Let's Play Pokemon Plus and Minus by Sean Wheeler
The Story of Fritz Westmyn: The Turning World by System Error
Star Performer by Fulcrum
Crossover Battles by Various

Best Protagonist
Annie from Love and Other Nightmares
Andrea Dennison from Land of the Roses
Peter Sine from A Sine of Things to Come: a Journey of Rediscovery
Markus Samaras from Flying in the Dark
Reggie Damon from Pokemon Academy Year III: Childhood's End
Julia from Pokemon: A Marvelous Journey
Alex from Star Performer
Kotone Jones from Malegænt

Best Antagonist
Silver from {some rise by sin}
The Monster from Malegænt

Best Supporting Character
Kenneth Chitenay from Flying in the Dark
Bates from {some rise by sin}
Biggie, Mr. Gruff, and Dick from The Story of Fritz Westmyn: The Turning World
Veronique Vincent from Star Performer

Best Pokémon Character
Senori from Phantom Project
Gaia from {some rise by sin}
Feiruz from Malegænt
Jolteon from A Sine of Things to Come: a Journey of Rediscovery

Last edited:
So there are less than 48 hours of this to go and not a single nomination. I know that a lot of people don't have eligible stories/characters this time around, and therefore won't be as motivated to nominate other people, but it really takes away from the spirit of things to completely sit out. There are eligible stories out there, from new and established authors, worthy of getting attention, and I would encourage every member to step up and have a go. If you are new and want to make a name for yourself, this is the way to do it. And if you are an established and want to show your support for your peers, then we definitely encourage you to do so.

And as I pointed out in the General Chat, there is nothing in the rules stipulating you need to have a perfect chapter published. You can post a first draft to get your story eligible and then edit it in the week you have: it doesn't get judged for some time, so there is nothing stopping you from getting in there.

Just a reminder that there are 24 hours left to nominate, which means 24 hours to post a chapter in order to make your story eligible (though it does not have to be of a high quality and you would still have a week left to edit).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom