• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Wishlist Thread - What Would You Like to See in Future Games?

Reaction score
What new features would you like to see? Mechanics? Pokemon gimmicks?

I was just thinking about some things that I would really like to see and figured we could use a fresh new thread for wishlisting. Or at least, there didn't seem to be any active ones.

I had a good long list in a previous thread, but here are a few things in particular that I would really like to see:

Support Pokemon
Not like having one of your other pokemon on standby to boost you or whatever, I mean an entire new subset of pokemon species whose sole function is acting as support. I imagine them as being tiny, unable to battle themselves, so instead they partner with regular pokemon in a symbiotic relationship. They would have unique skills meant to boost regular pokemon in various ways- maybe they increase their stats, or boost moves of a certain type, or maybe they attack with your pokemon to deal just a little extra damage. Maybe they do quirkier things, like increase your odds of encountering a certain type of pokemon, occasionally find items for you, or have a chance of giving your pokemon a random berry in battle.

I would have it so they basically "attach" to a pokemon- like if they were a sort of flea or a Neopets' petpet. And you would find them attached to wild pokemon which you would then have to capture in order to get the support-mon, which could then freely be removed to be given to a different pokemon like a held item, but cuter.

New Color Variant(s)
Since shinies have been becoming easier and easier to get these days- from charms, mechanics, and methods to increase odds, events handing them out in droves... shinies aren't quite as special as they used to be. And I don't really have a problem with that, but I think we may be getting to a point where it's time to introduce a new rarer color variant to replace how rare shinies used to be. Something to feel that special again, and another chance for some pokemon to get better alternate colors... I'm looking at you, Garchomp and Dewgong.

Or alternatively, just for the sake of adding more variety. What if there was a color variant that you can only get from breeding? Or just... albinos? Albinos could even be given negative traits, a lower BST for example, to mirror the health and survival disadvantages that real albinos have. I know that could be unpopular among those who would think it's pointless to add in a weaker color variant, but for those who want a challenge... imagine doing a run with a team of albinos?

Could also make shadow pokemon designed like XD's Shadow Lugia a thing and give visible characteristics to their purified counterparts so they're not just regular pokemon with an obnoxious glow... though that might be stepping on Pokemon GO's toes a bit.

Missingno as an Official Pokemon
Especially with the games of Gen 1 falling further into the past, it would be nice to see Missingno get the recognition it deserves as an iconic part of Pokemon's history, and be memorialized and inducted as an official part of the franchise.

It could even have forms to resemble some of its well-known variations. Here are some examples I had sketched awhile ago-

2gTezYy.png

Pixel, Ghost, and Fossil, respectively.

Ability to Ride Our Own Pokemon
This one's a popular request, I know, and I actually feel like this one will be coming eventually. We already saw it start to happen in Let's Go, so if it isn't something they're already working on rigging the models for, I would be surprised and quite disappointed. Just seems like such an obvious addition to make, really.

More Baby Pokemon
Specifically the ones everyone always asks for- Lapras, Miltank/Tauros, and Kangaskhan.

Regional Variants for Pokemon GO
Not really for future games and I'm sure this will get a lot of nays, but with Pokemon GO rapidly catching up on generations, I feel like it's going to need something special to keep moving forward, and their unique event pokemon with the costumes are garbage. Some are cute, but they're all garbage, and you can't even evolve the recent ones. So for the sake of longevity, I think it would be a good idea if, instead of useless event pokemon, they started to release... Earthen forms? GO forms? I don't know what a good name would be, but every so often just release a new GO-exclusive variant that could be traded to and bred in the mainline games. That would help keep GO fresh and relevant without having to wait for a new generation or new mid-generation pokemon/forms to come out.

Last edited:
Contests. More Contests. And more past trainer cameos. And more dress shirts and dresses.

...I have interesting priorities.
XD I like it, though. I was never much into contests, but I would like to see them return in a way that actually makes me want to do them so I can finally experience that in a way that isn't me selecting random moves in an attempt to earn appeal.

Also, since this concept came from the same generations as contests- secret bases should maybe make a return. With tons of pokedolls. I want shelves so I can fill a room with as many pokedolls as I can. Let me complete a plushdex as well as a pokedex.

I feel like it'd be really cool to see Contests return as a more action-oriented gameplay style. Maybe using moves while timing button presses to get more "Style Points" or something. Or if they actually make an action Pokémon game in the main series, put Contests in as the turn-based system.

Support Pokemon

Not like having one of your other pokemon on standby to boost you or whatever, I mean an entire new subset of pokemon species whose sole function is acting as support. I imagine them as being tiny, unable to battle themselves, so instead they partner with regular pokemon in a symbiotic relationship. They would have unique skills meant to boost regular pokemon in various ways- maybe they increase their stats, or boost moves of a certain type, or maybe they attack with your pokemon to deal just a little extra damage. Maybe they do quirkier things, like increase your odds of encountering a certain type of pokemon, occasionally find items for you, or have a chance of giving your pokemon a random berry in battle.

I would have it so they basically "attach" to a pokemon- like if they were a sort of flea or a Neopets' petpet. And you would find them attached to wild pokemon which you would then have to capture in order to get the support-mon, which could then freely be removed to be given to a different pokemon like a held item, but cuter.
This was actually an idea I had, only they weren't really so much classified as Pokémon as they were their own class of symbiotic organisms. I'd call them something like Pokétectors, as in Pocket Protectors to go with the Pocket Monsters.

Missingno as an Official Pokemon

Especially with the games of Gen 1 falling further into the past, it would be nice to see Missingno get the recognition it deserves as an iconic part of Pokemon's history, and be memorialized and inducted as an official part of the franchise.

It could even have forms to resemble some of its well-known variations. Here are some examples I had sketched awhile ago-

2gTezYy.png

Pixel, Ghost, and Fossil, respectively.
I agree with this soo hard. I feel like we may have gotten something really close to it in the recent games though.

This was actually an idea I had, only they weren't really so much classified as Pokémon as they were their own class of symbiotic organisms. I'd call them something like Pokétectors, as in Pocket Protectors to go with the Pocket Monsters.

I agree with this soo hard. I feel like we may have gotten something really close to it in the recent games though.
=D I could absolutely get behind them being classed as a new type of organism, too! Though since they classed Ultra Beasts as pokemon, that's kinda why I lean towards just calling them a new subset of pokemon. I don't know if they would ever be willing to acknowledge a separate class of lifeforms in the world at this point if even other-dimensional beings don't count.

I loved pokemon expanding on its ecology with regional variants, though, so I really really want them to introduce some supportive symbiotic organisms to expand on it even more. Gimme some mini pokemon for my pokemon, Game Freak.

And with Missingno it's like... They meta acknowledged Pikachu being the series mascot with Mimikyu, so why not acknowledge Missingno? It's even more deserving of the recognition.

=D I could absolutely get behind them being classed as a new type of organism, too! Though since they classed Ultra Beasts as pokemon, that's kinda why I lean towards just calling them a new subset of pokemon. I don't know if they would ever be willing to acknowledge a separate class of lifeforms in the world at this point if even other-dimensional beings don't count.
I guess that's true. Still, we technically do have PokéRus for a given amount of non-Pokémon "life" (unless they want to retcon PokéRus as an official Pokémon and give it a Pokédex number).

I guess that's true. Still, we technically do have PokéRus for a given amount of non-Pokémon "life" (unless they want to retcon PokéRus as an official Pokémon and give it a Pokédex number).
That would be kind of funny. XD

Gawd, Pokerus being a beneficial disease has always been kind of a weird concept.

I feel like we get a new one of these threads every month after people get bored of the last thread and it gets buried over time. This is like what, the 5th one or something? I don't mind reposting when the older threads are dead, though (I also thought up some new ideas).

• More dynamic rulesets for battling with other players. You can choose how many Pokemon to battle with on your team and how many Pokemon can be on the field at once.
  • Summary screen is updated to include a Pokemon's friendship level, IVs, as well as the type matchups of your Pokemon and their moves' types
  • Difficulty settings are back and now available from the start without any restrictions. You can change them at any time in the Options menu.
  • Co-op play returns from LGPE, but expanded. For one, NPC trainers will now send out 2 Pokemon at once in co-op unless they only have 1. Second, instead of the second player being a generic NPC of the opposite gendered player, you can actually choose to send in your own character from your own game (if you don't have a friend that has the game, you can still let them play as the opposite gendered NPC). However, there are some restrictions. You can only visit another friend's game world if you've progressed as far as they have in the game, you each can only have up to 3 Pokemon in your party, and your party's levels are scaled down based on your friend's progress. You can also play co-op online with friends.
  • Expand on the field abilities system that allows you to use your own Pokemon instead of just rentals or wild Pokemon (although if you don't have a suitable Pokemon, you can still use a rental ability). You could also clear different obstacles in multiple ways. You could cut down, ram, or burn a tree, cross a river by surfing across, jumping across, using a vine or web to grapple across, or creating an ice bridge.
  • Add a trainer class system where you can select a certain trainer class for both in-battle out-of-battle perks. For example, you could choose to be a Swimmer which would increase your Pokemon's Speed in the rain in battle and increase Surf speed out of battle.
  • Expand Pokedex functionality so it's actually, you know, a useful resource instead of just a list of Pokemon with lore blurbs and location data. Including move data, evolution data, breeding data, etc. (if necessary, they could have it fill in as needed to prevent spoilers) would make it a REAL Pokemon encyclopedia instead of just a joke of a device that you'll barely ever use.
  • A.I. based NPCs that you can dynamically talk with instead of having scripted responses. Instead of your character being a blank slate that never speaks a word, you could supply your own dialogue with a microphone and the NPCs would react to it (this one probably wouldn't happen anytime soon, but I think the technology is there or at least pretty close).
  • Rotom becomes an A.I. personal assistant (as in, like Siri, Alexa, etc.). You can use voice commands to perform quick tasks and look up useful information (examples: "Rotom, save my game" "Rotom, where can I catch a Pikachu?"). Its personality can also automatically adapt to your preferences so it becomes the companion it was actually meant to be instead of a preset annoyance shoved down your throat like in SM and USUM. The Rotom Dex/equivalent gadget also includes the following apps:
    • A clock/calendar app. Will also record the duration of in game events.
    • An online communication tool of some sort like the PSS or Y-Comm.
    • A map that includes a list notable locations in the area, a habitat list, and a quest list with hints that tell you where to go to progress the storyline and sidequests
    • The Amie/Refresh/Camping equivalent I mentioned above.
    • Day Care app for tracking Pokemon stored, whether or not they have Eggs, and the status of any EV/IV training
    • A DexNav equivalent.
    • Type chart app.
    • Pedometer app.
  • New regional stones (Kanto Stone, Alola Stone, Galar Stone, etc.) are introduced to make it easier to obtain regional variants. If a Pokemon has a split variant evolution (for example, Pikachu) and the Pokemon holds a regional stone, it will evolve into the corresponding variant. Whereas if a Pokemon has a split variant base form (for example, Meowth), if the mother holds a regional stone while breeding, the child will hatch into that corresponding variant.
  • Updated capture mechanics. When you battle the Pokemon, you weaken it as normal, then when you use your Poke Ball, you use motion controls to throw the Poke Ball. Any throw will work, but more accurate throws will increase the catch rate, and Critical Captures are now performed with an on-target throw instead of by random chance. Additionally, if you accidentally K.O. a Pokemon, you get one last ditch effort to catch the Pokemon (which you can decline if you so which) with an increased catch rate (I'm debating on whether or not this could be an automatic Critical Capture, but that might be too OP). Unlike LGPE though, you can choose between control stick, gyro, and touch screen aiming in the Options menu.
  • The Safari Zone returns in a new way as the Daily Safari (although functionally it's more like a combination of Mirage Spots and Dynamax Adventures). Each day you would be able to explore a short dungeon filled with Pokemon (which rotates daily). In addition to catching as many Pokemon as you can there, you also want to try and progress through the dungeon to fight a rarer/stronger Pokemon waiting for you at the end.
  • When you catch a Pokemon, you now have an option to go directly into your boxes to deposit it in whatever box you want.
  • Day Cares/Nurseries are also now overhauled to be a one stop shop for any of your Pokemon raising needs. Besides just breeding, they can also level up your Pokemon as they did previously, they can EV train your Pokemon, and they can also Hyper Train your Pokemon.
  • The next gen Amie/Refresh/Camping equivalent now includes decoration features to function as a Secret Base equivalent.
  • Return of the Battle Frontier with a mix of old and new facilities. In order to make it more accessible, you can choose rental Pokemon at any facility. Here are the facilities:
    • Battle Tower (updated with the same settings on number of Pokemon in your team and number of Pokemon on the field at once)
    • Battle Factory (you still cannot use your own Pokemon here, you have to use rentals)
    • Battle Dome (doubles as a PWT-esque facility now where you can rematch gym leaders)
    • Battle Hall (updated to work more like Restricted Sparring, you can now choose 3 Pokemon but they are all of the same type)
    • Battle Palace
    • Battle Circuit (Rotation Battle facility)
    • An Inverse Battle facility (can't think of a good name for this one)
  • Return of the Trick House, perhaps as a battle facility that's timed and gives rewards based on how quickly you finish.

Obviously don't expect all of that to happen in one generation, this would probably take like, 4 or 5 generations.

I've been thinking lately that they should pull a Budew/Roserade with more Pokemon. Potentially many more. I think it'd be fun.

The Sinnoh remakes came out today and already I’m thinking about “what will they do for Unova?”

My thought was, how will they work since we have the originals and their sequels? And I had the idea of one version being the story of Black/White 1, the other being Black/White 2, and having some kind of “time skip/warp” subplot thrown in there for fun.

Also somehow incorporate it into the new prefix, like “Past Black/Future White” though not necessarily that.

Inspired by the Gen 9 thread, I would like to see more Role Playing in my RPG game to where dialogue options actually do something. It doesn’t have to be massive plot changing stuff, just small things like helping shape what kind of person your rival becomes based on how you talk and battle them. Lose a bunch to your rival and they become conceited, which makes the player want to work harder and beat them next time. That sorta thing.

The Sinnoh remakes came out today and already I’m thinking about “what will they do for Unova?”

My thought was, how will they work since we have the originals and their sequels? And I had the idea of one version being the story of Black/White 1, the other being Black/White 2, and having some kind of “time skip/warp” subplot thrown in there for fun.

After BDSP I think it's pretty clear that BW remakes are just going to be BW copy/paste jobs with almost nothing from BW2. And I'm definitely not buying that, BW shook things up in almost all of the wrong ways (except story, that was the only positive shakeup) and BW2 was closer to how BW should've been in the first place. So any excitement I might have for BW remakes are gone now.

*Difficult settings
*Improved UI for checking EVs and other elements
*Better in-game explanation of EV and IV (I don't need it but it would be very helpful to new players)
*Overhaul how EVs are gained; instead of gaining EV based off what you defeat you set a Pokémon to gain a specific EV up to a certain point (like aim to 100, aim to 200, etc) and they gain that stat (so a low Pidgey gives 1 EV, not specifically 1 speed). For players who don't want to bother give an option that distributes them as evenly as possible.
*An item to induce trade evolution

After BDSP I think it's pretty clear that BW remakes are just going to be BW copy/paste jobs with almost nothing from BW2. And I'm definitely not buying that, BW shook things up in almost all of the wrong ways (except story, that was the only positive shakeup) and BW2 was closer to how BW should've been in the first place. So any excitement I might have for BW remakes are gone now.

I never liked BW or BW2 in the first place (hated most of the Gen5 pokemon and the region was pretty much locked to only having Gen5 pokemon) but I am curious to see just what they wind up doing, if it will be another copy-paste job handed off to another company to make or if Game Freak will feel inspired and take the reigns to do something more ambitious. Or maybe they'll decide that ILCA proved themselves and give them more liberty to add things?

I don't know... I guess with it being my least favorite region, I was never going to feel hyped about it to begin with. But I am open to the slim possibility that they might make me change my mind.

One other thing I think would be neat would be to have a Splatfest type of mechanic. For those not familiar with Splatoon, the way it works is that every so often they have a theme between two conflicting things (for example, ketchup vs. mustard, order vs. chaos, etc.) and you pick a side. Then you battle players on the other side of the theme and whichever side gets more wins is declared the winner. You get rewards for participating, and you get more if your side wins, but even if your side loses you can still get higher rewards by contributing more individual wins to your team.

A National Pokédex with over a thousand Pokémon including every Pokémon that existed so far. A regional dex where half the Pokémon are new Pokémon while the other half are returning Pokémon with every type from every region. May be difficult to get a Fire-type from Sinnoh since the only options are the starter, a legendary, and Magmar's evolution. And the return of the Battle Frontier which not only includes facilities from the Hoenn and Sinnoh Frontiers but also the facilities that were originally Battle Tower knockoffs return with their own gimmicks such as the Battle Subway having a time limit. The Battle Salon would split from the Tower for a facility about Multi Battles. The return of contests, Poké Blocks, Poffins, Pokémon Amie, Apricorns, Berry plants, Mega Evolutions, Z-Moves, Dynamaxing, Gigantamaxing, and regional Alolan, Galarian and Hisuian forms. A massive post-game where if you battled every trainer, you can actually see every Pokémon in the National Dex without catching anything. A VS Seeker to rematch trainers, including Gym Leaders. There should also be a place where Gym Leaders and important trainers from other regions hang out and battle you. Three rivals: One who picked the starter weak against yours, one who picked the starter strong against yours and one who had already got the same starter as you. Trainer customization including every article of clothing from previous games even the default (or only) looks of every protagonist in every game, plus the clothing options that let you look like a certain trainer class. HMs returning just so that the games don't find a way to replace them. A random wild Bidoof coming to cut a tree for you? Really? I might as well just call a Pokémon from my PC to perform an HM. If people are concerned with HMs taking up move slots in the party, might as well make those Pokémon in the PC more useful.

Walks in, grabs the first person they come across and whispers softly "The return of Megas".

All jokes aside, I most certainly like stuff like height and weight differences across species. You can't make me believe every species you meet is the exact same height and weight. I would also quite like 'cosmetic' changes to Pokémon, like how Pokémon with stripes could for example miss a certain striping pattern or have an inverted color pattern. (Now this is something that won't happen purely because of the sheer amount of Pokémon existing nowadays and making 1 to 3 variations of them would just be too much, I guess.)

Better customization for the male character. SwSh was a step in the good direction and I quite liked XY's one too despite being quite short of options but then BDSP took a big step back for the male character again. Men can also be into fashion and actually look good, for crying out loud.

A 'trainer relationship' function would be cool too, where certain responses have a reaction. A certain answer gives +5 friendship while others do -2 and that affects stuff like the dialogue, the teams they face you with or even giving you items. YOu could even go so far as the rival refusing to come to your help when you're in time of need. Now with this too, I realize this is more something for a visual novel I guess, but I like it when characters are actual characters/people and it would be cool to see that reflected.

I think we're also long overdue an item that allows you to bypass trade evolutions. And if we're not, at least put the final stages of those lines in the games as available to catch in the wild.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom