• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

With Smash coming to Switch, What Pokemon would you like to see playable?

300px-Zoroark_SSB4.jpg

Despite being in Pokken seeing Decidueye in Smash seems like it would be the most logical move set wise.. I wouldn't mind seeing others get the Spotlight like Incineroar and Zeroara. I would Say Ribombee but it'll likely just be a pokeball Pokémon..
As for returning Pokémon I would like Charizard to return since it's my heavy weight character in Smash. :p

I'd like something unexpected as a new addition, like an Ultra Beast. The mental image of Buzzwole flexing in Smash is too hilarious to pass up imo. As for returning characters, I was thinking of Pokèmon Trainer (with a different party this time), Greninja, and Pikachu.

Hawlucha, Infernape, Heracross and Gallade. Smash is a fighting game, so they're perfect for Smash.

Ideally, every generation of Pokemon would be represented in the playable ranks, since 2018 marks the 20th anniversary of its arrival in the West.

G1: Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Charizard and Mewtwo at the very least, and bring in Meowth, since the anime made him iconic due to Team Rocket
G2: Bring back Pichu, its status as mascot Pikachu's pre-evolved form says a lot
G3: Blaziken and Deoxys, with every form of the latter being a separate playable character (we got rid of in-game transformations the last Smash)
G4: Lucario is definitely coming back
G5: Zoroark, since it was a major Pokemon in a movie
G6: Greninja could come back even though Ash released his
G7: Mimikyu could provide TR with a second representative, since it's very popular

Incineroar lives and breathes to Smash. He knows it--the fans know it. If there were a way to contact Nintendo and offer this as a suggestion, and provided they actually listened, I do think he'd be in in a heartbeat. They have a boxer in Little Mac, a martial artist in Ryu, but they've yet to add a wrestler to their ranks. And no Dedede, just because you're buff now doesn't mean you count. No. No. Just no.

Ideally, every generation of Pokemon would be represented in the playable ranks, since 2018 marks the 20th anniversary of its arrival in the West.

G1: Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Charizard and Mewtwo at the very least, and bring in Meowth, since the anime made him iconic due to Team Rocket
G2: Bring back Pichu, its status as mascot Pikachu's pre-evolved form says a lot
G3: Blaziken and Deoxys, with every form of the latter being a separate playable character (we got rid of in-game transformations the last Smash)
G4: Lucario is definitely coming back
G5: Zoroark, since it was a major Pokemon in a movie
G6: Greninja could come back even though Ash released his
G7: Mimikyu could provide TR with a second representative, since it's very popular

That's too many, especially with Deoxys' transformations.

There was a GameXplain video just after Smash was revealed that looked at all the characters hidden in the flames. They speculated that one near what looked to be the other Pokémon we know, was possibly the Pokémon trainer.

I'd looove for the Pokémon trainer to return, but this time with different starters. Like maybe have Squirtle, Grovyle and Incineroar idk. What other line ups would be good if he returned? (I'd love if they made the alternate colour/theme of the trainer female too, for obvious purposes).

There was a GameXplain video just after Smash was revealed that looked at all the characters hidden in the flames. They speculated that one near what looked to be the other Pokémon we know, was possibly the Pokémon trainer.

I'd looove for the Pokémon trainer to return, but this time with different starters. Like maybe have Squirtle, Grovyle and Incineroar idk. What other line ups would be good if he returned? (I'd love if they made the alternate colour/theme of the trainer female too, for obvious purposes).
As much as I loved the trainer in Brawl, I’m not sure they would bring him back in any capacity. I’m pretty sure they specifically stated that they didn’t want to have any mid-fight character transformations, which is why Samus/ZSS and Zelda/Shiek are now completely separate characters. Of course, they could always go back and change that decision, but I’m not sure it’s very likely. And believe me, Ivysaur was my favorite character in Brawl, hands down. I just don’t see it happening.

As much as I loved the trainer in Brawl, I’m not sure they would bring him back in any capacity. I’m pretty sure they specifically stated that they didn’t want to have any mid-fight character transformations, which is why Samus/ZSS and Zelda/Shiek are now completely separate characters. Of course, they could always go back and change that decision, but I’m not sure it’s very likely. And believe me, Ivysaur was my favorite character in Brawl, hands down. I just don’t see it happening.

Not to mention that solo-Charizard in SSB4 is living proof that the Pokemon Trainer had to go.

I thought they removed mid-fight character transformations because the 3DS lacked the capability and would of lagged severely if they implemented them? Especially during online fights... I would really love for the Trainer to come back. Ivysaur was one of my favourites too, and I loved jetting around with Squirtle.

Edit: here's the article 3DS Limitations Won't Allow Smash Bros. Character Transformations - News

I thought they removed mid-fight character transformations because the 3DS lacked the capability and would of lagged severely if they implemented them? Especially during online fights... I would really love for the Trainer to come back. Ivysaur was one of my favourites too, and I loved jetting around with Squirtle.

Edit: here's the article 3DS Limitations Won't Allow Smash Bros. Character Transformations - News
Forget the 3DS, even on the Wii there was unpredictable delay when transforming your character, since the game had to load their moveset. If there's one thing fighting gamers hate, it's unpredictability.

As for new Pokemon, I don't particularly care if it's Smash or Pokken but we NEED Hawlucha in a fighting game.

Last edited:
Pikachu and Charizard (and if he returns Greninja) should have anime screenshots with them and Ash together as congratulations screens for completing Classic and All-Star. This would mean that in at least the new Smash game, we'd be playing as Ash's Pikachu, Charizard, and (possibly) Greninja.

Pikachu and Charizard (and if he returns Greninja) should have anime screenshots with them and Ash together as congratulations screens for completing Classic and All-Star. This would mean that in at least the new Smash game, we'd be playing as Ash's Pikachu, Charizard, and (possibly) Greninja.
Meh, I wouldn’t like that. I don’t like the anime, and I think the only reason I like using smash Pikachu is because I know it isn’t Ash’s Pikachu.

Oh, and can we please get at least one pallet swap of Pikachu that gives it a female heart-tail? This bothers me more than it should have.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom