• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

With Smash coming to Switch, What Pokemon would you like to see playable?

Currently, the only Pokemon types currently not represented in Smash are Ground, Rock, Ghost, Dragon, Bug, and Ice.

I prefer they represent the Dragon-type with a Gen 5 Pokemon since Unova is known for being the region most associated with it. Haxorus could actually fit as a fighter, the tusks could be used as a strong smash attack. The Final Smash could be it using either Outrage or Draco Meteor.

Well, Smash may be too over represented with Pokémon. But maybe Blaziken would make a great fighter with Sky Uppercut as its Up Special?

More like it's over represented with Gen 1 Pokemon, which is why I want to see Pokemon from generations not yet represented to become playable.

More like it's over represented with Gen 1 Pokemon, which is why I want to see Pokemon from generations not yet represented to become playable.
Yes, most of the Pokémon fighters are from Gen 1. But if you count Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard separately, then Pokémon's the most overrepresented series with nine fighters. Nintendo's mascot Mario has eight fighters and the infamously over represented Fire Emblem has seven fighters.

In fact, there are only 2 playable Pokemon who are not a Gen 1 Pokemon or related to one: Lucario and Greninja.

Yeah, Nintendo is giving Kanto too much love these days. It's one thing to over represent a series in a crossover, but to over represent one aspect of a series? Fire Emblem has the same problem where every character would need to have a sword to get into Smash even though there are a lot of mages and archers who don't use swords that could make great fighters for Smash.

Come to think about it, they even chose FRLG!Red to represent Gen III instead of someone from Hoenn, or even making Brendan/May a playable character.

About Fire Emblem: I don't know if I picked the wrong games or something, but the mage and archer characters I have seen only have one or two lines (without counting supports) and then they disappear from the story, so I can't really blame them for not including them.

Well, the only Fire Emblem game I've played was Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, and there were a lot of non-sword characters in my party. Leon was just awesome with his long range snipes, especially when he flirts after every kill. Python is such a wimp, but at least villagers like Kliff could become archers. And there are a lot of Mages like Mae, Boey, Delthea and Luthier. In fact, out of my 32 characters, only 9 people used swords. Everyone else had other weapons like spears. Yep, Smash pretty much lied to me about what Fire Emblem is about.

Well, on the other hand, I played Shadow Dragon, Gaiden (Echoes is a remake of this) and the early parts of Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword. Sure, most of the characters don't use swords, from what I can see, but if you are not a Lord, or are related to one in one way or another, don't expect character development or dialogue aside from "hey, can I join?" (again, without counting supports). I guess they corrected it in the games that came after the Sword of Light remake since from what I read Awakening and Fates have better recruits.

Again, correct me if I'm wrong, please.

EDIT: After re-reading your post, I came to realize they gave personality to the Gaiden characters. I guess I will check it out once I liberate a bit of memory from my SD.

Thoughts on another Pokémon Trainer that uses a different set of starters?

I kind of want to see Meloetta's Pirouette form.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thoughts on another Pokémon Trainer that uses a different set of starters.

I kind of want to see Meloetta's Pirouette form.
Well the fighter that is known as THE Pokémon Trainer was already confirmed for Ultimate, so another trainer would seem unlikely. If the game actually called him Red, then maybe other trainers would have a chance. But no, they would more likely become a pallette swap like Leaf. And Meloetta's not a starter.

Well the fighter that is known as THE Pokémon Trainer was already confirmed for Ultimate, so another trainer would seem unlikely. If the game actually called him Red, then maybe other trainers would have a chance. But no, they would more likely become a pallette swap like Leaf. And Meloetta's not a starter.
I'm pretty sure the Meloetta part was a separate thought from the starter thing.

And I have to agree with you, I think they've stuck themselves in a position where they can't add another Pokemon trainer. Not only because of the name, but they also have color swaps for each of the other generations.

I'm mostly kind of upset that they didn't find a way to do the Pokemon change that didn't take up a special moveslot .they could have had it change if you like, shield and press B or something. Idk, it bothers me that they took away Charizard's rock smash. That, and Squirtle and Ivysaur could've both been given a new down-special.

I'm pretty sure the Meloetta part was a separate thought from the starter thing.

Idk, it bothers me that they took away Charizard's rock smash. That, and Squirtle and Ivysaur could've both been given a new down-special.

Yeah, Meloetta was an entirely different Pokémon I wanted.

I'm more annoyed that Charizard was stuck with Flare Blitz.

Who else from Gen VII should be in Smash? Decidueye is already in a fighting game, Primarina would look weird in Smash, Mimikyu and Bewear are assists, etc. Only Incineroar looks like it would fit there.

To answer this, Incineroar (as you already said), Golisopod, Lycanroc (Dusk w/ Midday as a costume or Midnight by itself), and Tapu Koko can work. Other than that there's not really much that sticks out in terms of popularity.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom