• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

With which mainline Pokemon Generation did you start?

With which mainline Pokemon game generation did you start with?

• Gen 9 (Scarlet and Violet)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gen 10 and higher

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I first encountered Pokémon when I went 'round my cousin's house and being the little squirt, he gave me his Gameboy with a copy of Pokémon Blue in order to keep me occupied so I wouldn't bother him and his teenage friends. I spent an entire afternoon making my way through the game, I think I beat Surge by the time I had to go home. Eventually I started watching the anime and got hooked on the adventures of Ash and co.

It wasn't until Gen 2 though that I finally convinced my parents that video games weren't the devil and I got both a Gameboy Colour as well as Pokémon Silver to play for myself and was the first Pokémon game that I beat. It is for that reason that although I am technically a Genwunner, Johto has the stronger place in my heart and why I am very skeptical about any potential 3D remakes of HG/SS or a Let's Go Johto - especially after what they did to the Gen 4 remakes.

Gen 6 with PKMN Y. My original team was my starter, Greninja; the Mega Venusaur you get from Prof. Sycamore; the Lucario you get from Korrina; and my first shiny ever, Goodra (that's why it's my favorite pokemon).

The other 2 team slots were just temporary team members and HM mules.

My first two Pokémon games were Sapphire and Emerald. Although I started with Gen 3 games, the time period in which I started was only a couple months before Gen 5 came out in North America.

I started with Gen 1 on original hardware (albeit lacking a Game Boy, I played it on SNES via Super Gameboy which was actually THE definitive way to play Gen 1 solo, due to the games having SGB features like custom screen borders and enhanced color palettes, features which are STILL not emulated in official re-releases).

I remember first seeing it via a local friend playing it -- they had Pokemon Blue, picked Squirtle as their starter, and was obviously having a super rough time with Lt.Surge. I was actually surprised that this game allows you to heal your team for free as a standard service? (In contrast to Final Fantasy, where Inns are a service you must pay a token fee for, and money is acquired standard from every battle)

So I got Pokemon Red, picked Charmander as my starter ... the rest is history. Strangely, we never actually traded Pokemon or battled each other's teams, ever.

This being said, "genwun" is by far not my favorite generation (neither my least favorite -- that's probably Gen 4 Sinnoh). I think my favorite overall is probably gen 2 Johto or Gen 3 Kanto (and I must give Sinnoh its credit for adding the Luxray and Lucario families).

I started around the tail-end of Gen III. I mentioned this in the previous thread, but my first introduction to the games was actually Colosseum — and then I played Emerald, XD, and Ranger very soon after that.

Not too surprisingly, I still have a soft spot for that generation more than any other.

I discovered it in 1999 when it first came out in FR. Got Red, loved it. Watched the anime, loved it. Fell out of it a bit after Gen III, and rediscovered it in 2010, when I got Diamond & Platinum. Haven't stopped since.

I think the rediscovery of pokemon with Gen IV is a big reason behind why Gen IV is my favourite Gen and Sinnoh my favourite region. At the time it was also the peak of the anime (for me). So glad we got to see Ash win against Cynthia & Leon lately, and become champion in Alola, but Gen IV will always have a special place for me, as a new beginning.

2nd gen. I was interested in Pokemon since the beginning (in Gen 1 I was a fan of the TCG and anime), but I got into the games late because my parents were reluctant to allow me to play video games period. Eventually they gave in and bought me a GBC for Christmas 2000 and a copy of Silver.

It's Gen 4, with Diamond. I recall listening to the Battle Frontier theme song, so I probably heard of Pokemon before hand. Alas, no stories from me from playing way back when. I was young and the cart was stolen years ago. I do remember I picked Chimchar, but not if it got all the way to Infernape. Also, I had to catch Dialga with the Master Ball because my team was too battered to fight from the battle just before.

Gen 6 with AS (used copy) and X on Christmas
Got into Pokémon two years before (also got a Pikachu plush) and I had no clue XY existed till around 2016

Please note: The thread is from 7 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom