• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

EVERYONE: Witnessing the Birth of a God - A Dragon Ball One-Shot

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
  2. They/Them
So, first thing I've ever written to post somewhere simply because I wanted to, and not as part of a contest or attached to a mafia game or anything. I was thinking the other night about how Super Saiyan God is probably my favourite transformation in the entire Dragon Ball franchise, and the inspiration to write something about that initial reveal moment hit me like a freight train. And since it's so short I was actually able to finish it over a couple days and get it in a state where I'd be comfortable to post it. So, here it is! I'm always ready to take criticism, so if you read it then be sure to let me know what you think.

Witnessing the Birth of a God

It all started out as such a simple day. Bulma was celebrating her birthday and you’d gotten invited to celebrate at Capsule Corp with the others. Then this cat guy showed up and threatened to blow up the planet if he didn’t get to see some “Super Saiyan God”. Honestly things had been rather peaceful lately, you supposed you were probably due for another destructive lunatic. So now everyone you knew with Saiyan biology were standing in a circle along with Gohan’s wife Videl, her unborn child giving the sixth Saiyan needed to ascend Goku to becoming this Super Saiyan God.

The six stood in a circle, hand in hand, the hair of the five Saiyans turning bright golden and standing on end as they transformed into Super Saiyans, their powers rising. There was a sixth spike of power that came from Videl, but that you could also sense was distinctly not Videl. You figured that this would be the child’s first taste of the power they’d be able to wield once they got older. As the energies before you steadily grew in power, a bright blue energy began to shine around them, eclipsing their Super Saiyan auras. Releasing his grip on Trunks and Vegeta’s hands, Goku began to float slowly upward, the blue energy arcing from the others into him. Though the glow entirely obscured him from view, you could still feel his power soaring, higher than you’d ever felt it, before it vanished entirely.

As Goku descended back down to the ground, you couldn’t shake the feeling of how uncanny this was. You’d been told that this would be the strongest that Goku had ever been, yet his energy felt entirely dead. Having become so used to sensing ki energy over the years, seeing him stand in front of you while being unable to sense anything from him was like trying to look with only half your sight. That wasn’t the only unusual part. Over the years, you’d gotten used to Super Saiyans following a sort of convention, but this new form Goku had taken was almost the exact opposite of everything you’d come to expect. Rather than the aggressive golden points of Super Saiyan, his hair looked softer, gently flowing in response to his movements, trading out the typical golden hue for a bright red colouration. And though you couldn’t feel anything, you could see the aura around Goku as his excess energy burned off around him. However, unlike the violent, sparking energy of a Super Saiyan, the energy you could see was more flowing, almost serene. As you took in the look of Goku himself, you noticed that he seemed to have lost some muscle mass in the transformation. You’d actually be tempted to say that this new Goku looks weaker than an ordinary Super Saiyan, yet he was supposed to be able to go toe-to-toe with that cat guy who’d previously mopped the floor with you and every other fighter at this party. And honestly, that scared you more than if he’d turned into some hulking mass of muscle. The sheer cognitive dissonance of what you were seeing versus what you’d been made to expect was shaking you almost as much as the threat of complete global destruction. You were snapped out of your trance by the voice of Beerus’ friend, Whis, you think it was?

“Are you pleased, Beerus? It would appear that their efforts have been successful.”

“Yes, it’s my reward for being so patient.”

For the first time since his transformation, Goku spoke up. “Wait, really? So you think I’ve actually transformed into a Super Saiyan God?” He asked. Beerus paused for a moment before replying, taking a sip from the drink in his hand. You refused to believe what you were seeing; he wasn’t taking this at all seriously. Threatening to destroy the entire planet if he didn’t get his way, yet here he was lounging around on a deck chair and sipping drinks!

“We should know for certain once we start our battle. So, are we ready to begin yet?”

“Yeah, as long as you keep your word.”

“Why of course. If you can prove you’re stronger than me now, I’ll happily do you the favour of not destroying this world.” Oh, ‘the favour’ you think. How gracious of him to deign not to demolish an entire planet. You move to the sidelines with the others, as Beerus leisurely climbed out of his chair and wandered to stand opposite Goku. The tension was stressful. No matter how many times you’re forced to watch as Goku prepares to face the enemy alone, the only one able to even come close to matching their power, it never gets any easier. You wish that you could step in and help, but at your level you know that you’d just get in his way and probably wind up getting yourself killed. Again. Goku’s aura slowly grew as he entered his combat stance, before he shouted and charged at Beerus, throwing a punch which the cat grabbed in one hand. The impact was incredible, even that single blow was enough to cause a crater in the ground near the pool. The two held the position in which the attacks collided for a moment, though it felt like hours.

“So tell me,” Beerus asked Goku, “How does it feel to become a god?”

“It’s incredible.”

“I see. It surprises you.”

The two disengaged and went back to standing on opposite ends of the crater they had created.

“It’s taking you time to fathom what you can do now.” Beerus surmised, bringing his finger to his chin in thought. At these words, he floated into the air, coming to rest above the skyline of the city, followed by Goku. They paused once more, before Beerus spun in midair and brought a kick down towards Goku’s neck, which he actually managed to block. You watched as they each attacked in turn, awed by the fact that Goku was not only keeping up, but actually landing clean blows of his own. Beerus then landed a blow that sent Goku spiralling into the city streets. You lifted off with the others as you made to follow along, intent to see how this all ended as Goku fought yet another battle for the fate of the Earth.

Last edited:
Okay, my Dragon Ball knowledge is limited to bits and pieces, the artist doing the Dragon Quest art, never watching the anime, missing out on the latest Xenoverse 2 Switch Sale though probably not having the GB for it anyway, and getting Dragon Ball Fusions but never playing it like much of my 3DS library. But hey it's here so...

- Using second person here, huh? That's different. I suppose we as the reader are the titular witness. Very different way of doing things, but sometimes it's good to be different.
- Do like the concept of the power level being beyond normal perception.
- Heh, "that cat guy". Also heh, does make sense for even the witness to be a fighter, because honestly who isn't in Dragon Ball? Yeah I know there's probably a few but like pretty much everyone is.
- I'm assuming the line about being so patient isn't intended to be spoken by Goku, and if so, should move that part about him speaking up to the paragraph where he is speaking to remove any confusion.
- I mean given the villains in the Dragon Ball universe I personally would believe what I'm seeing there, but...
- wind up getting yourself killed. Again. <- lol, also true to what I know about Dragon Ball. Death being not too difficult relatively to come back from.
- Shoutouts to things seemingly like they're taking hours in Dragon Ball.

Nice little short one-shot piece you got here. Enjoyed it despite not knowing the source material well. Though I probably should in some capacity even if it's only a little. Someday. TM.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom